RRA 223 wylde Question

sts3d

OK I have reloaded for quite a few years but I bought a RRA "Coyote" rifle last weekend as my first AR. I bought some factory ammo that it seems to really like. My question is Should I neck size my brass fired in this gun or do I have to full lenghth resize with the 223 wylde dies???to get any benefits of the chambering? I have only loaded for bolt guns or single shots so I'm not sure if neck sizing is a good idea. Thanks, Sean

I also have a Rock River in the same chambering.

Personally I have never heard of a 223 Wylde die??

For AR's and any other semi. I normally always FL size. Some people even recommend a small base die. I have a couple of the SB dies(different cartridges), but never found them necessary to use. FL always worked fine for me. Tom.

You do not need special dies to load for your wylde chamber. Unless your brass has been fired in a fully automatic weapon, you will not need small base dies, either, but you should full length resize in a standard die.

Here is a link to a good explanation on the wylde chamber:

Link to Snipercentral article

Quote: from above link:The RRA Varmint rifles come with a Wylde chamber, which is a mix between .223 and 5.56. For those of you that do not know, the 5.56x45 NATO is NOT exactly the same as a .223 Rem. The 5.56 spec allows for slightly longer chambers for higher pressures. The .223 has a tighter chamber around the neck and is shorter which allows for a bit better accuracy. You can shoot .223 ammo in a 5.56 chamber, but it is DANGEROUS to shoot 5.56 (surplus for instance) ammo in a .223 chamber. BE CAREFUL. What the Wylde chamber does is allow for 5.56 ammo with slightly tighter chamber for better accuracy. So you can shoot both 5.56 and 223 safely with good accuracy. Now, I may have gotten a little bit of the chamber details a bit off, but one can search the internet and read about it in detail if you would like. It is sufficient to say that you can shoot .223 and 5.56 ammo out of the RRA without problem.

Regards,
hm

Back