7mm Rem Mag ballistics ?

roky0702

My dad has a Savage 111 in 7mm rem mag and since he only uses it once a year for deer hunting, I am pretty much assuming ownership of it so it can get some use
tt2.gif
I stocked up on cheap Federal 150 gr. Power-Shok ammo and on Federal's website they have some ballistics charts that go with it. The scope is already sighted in at 100 yards so looking at their charts, all I should have to do is adjust the scope another 2.8" high for a 200 yard zero, correct? I will obviously spend plenty of time at the range actually shooting as small of groups as possible, but I am just wondering if they are really that simple. The same goes for taking a 300 yard shot (w/ that 200 yard zero) using a hold over, say on an elk. So all I would need to do is aim 6.6" high above the kill zone? I would be quite surprised and relieved if the charts turned out to be that accurate but practice on my part will be more important.

Hypothetically, yes. You still need to shoot it to verify these figures. It should be close, but probably not exact. I would go with the 1.4" high @ 100, 200=O, and down 6.6" @ 300yds and see what that gets you.

Where in Minnesota do you live?

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunHypothetically, yes. You still need to shoot it to verify these figures. It should be close, but probably not exact. I would go with the 1.4" high @ 100, 200=O, and down 6.6" @ 300yds and see what that gets you.

Where in Minnesota do you live?

1.4 inches high is about right and 7 inches at 300 is also in the right ball park. I too just got a 7mm and have spent some time at the range now and those numbers are real close depending on speed of the bullet and it's weight will change those numbers also.

7mm is a great round, kicks like a mule but a great round, had one years ago it was zero'd at 200yds, the longest shot I ever made was 500 yds, and if I remember correctly the hold over was about 26-28 inches, the coyote was DRT he never twitched,

Last edited:
You can't assume anything. What does he shoot? If it is not the same ammo then you might not even be able to hit a paper plate. I'm just saying...

If you wanna be able to follow the school of thought you are using now you need to use the exact same ammo he uses.

Definatly need to at least verify zero with the ammo you selected. If it is the same then you may be able to get away with a simple scope adjustment. But I would still want to shoot it for proof.

CWEEKS info match's my experience with my 7MM and thats with handloads of 154GR SST pushed with 60GR of IMR4831 and CCI 250 primers.

Back