new coon gun, maybe

kal52

In ND we can now use 22mag or 17hmr for night hunting, thank god for that.

so Im looking for a new toy for this year and am thinking of the single six hunter in 17hmr. Before I get this sucker how well does the hmr do on called coons at say 50yds.

There may not be an opportunity for headshots, so I want to make sure that it has the oompf the anchor them.

I have a few 22mags, they do the trick just fine, but I dont have a 17 revolver anymore and thinking of giving it a shot.

your thoughts?

Dave

Dave,
I have the thumb hole model (93??) Savage rifle and LOVE it... the accutrigger is without a doubt the smoothest "production" trigger I've ever pulled. The accuracy is uncanny. Mine likes the 17gr CCI polymer tip and the 20gr Hornady Vmax (also a polymer tip). I've dropped coon and porcupine at 80+ yards using the 17gr. bullet and they were DOA.

Tim

Last edited:
I second what Tim said,I have the same rifle and its awesome!!
The .17 HMR is the way to go!!!

100_5493.jpg

Ive got the 93 in the 22mag, you are right I love the triggers and Mine is very accurate as well.

Good to hear itll smack coons hard. Years ago I got the taurus tracker when they came out in 17hmr, didnt shoot much with it, some jacks and cottontails, but it blew up the bunnies so dang bad if I shanked the shot, that I decided to trade it in for something I probably dont have anymore either LOL,

back then I had never even heard of calling coons, heck I rarely saw one up until 4-5 years ago. but now they are all over, just sunday morning I had seen 7 on the roads around my place (they lived, a bit too early for the fur yet, but very soon)

the 17 out of a 7.5" should still have plenty of speed I think it was around 1900-2100 fps..correct me if im wwrong on this. I never

the extra built in accuracy is definately a plus as well lord knows I need it.

thanks again

Dave

This summer we have been shooting groundhogs with rimfires, and have used both the .22 mag and .17 HMR. Most hogs were head-shot with the HMR, and dropped instantly to say the least. One was hit a little too far back behind the vitals, and it ran probably 25 feet and got into the den. We really like the HMR for groundhogs, when accuracy is needed, such as for taking head shots. We try not to take body shots.

The .22 mag shots were mainly body shots, well-placed in the vitals, but most hogs tried to run or crawl from that a bit. Some required follow-up shots. They didn't go far, but could easily have gotten into the dens if they had been closer.

A groundhog, like a raccoon, can be a tough critter to stop unless the shot is well placed, particularly with a rimfire. Even then, they can sometimes run. A not-so-well-placed shot can result in one gettting away. I've shot raccoons with 3" #4 Buck loads at 25-30 yards and still had some try to run, requiring a quick follow up shot.

I guess what I'm saying is, the .17 HMR, while I really like that little cartridge, may result in some run-offs.

Keep us posted, with some good photos.

David

6mmo6, I agree, they are tough, which is why I hated using the 22lr, but this year they are allowing all rimfires no larger than .22 cal. which is a big improvement.

I am pretty sure itll do the job, but just wanted to get some info from the folks who have been there done that.

I dont really need another 22mag, so I was hoping the 17 would be enough to anchor them. just havent shot enough larger critters myself to really make that decision on my limited experience with it.

thanks again

Dave

Originally Posted By: 6mm06A groundhog, like a raccoon, can be a tough critter to stop unless the shot is well placed, particularly with a rimfire. Even then, they can sometimes run. A not-so-well-placed shot can result in one getting away.

I TOTALLY agree with 6mm06. I've, believe it or not, hit a ground hog with a .243 at 60 +or- yards and had him get back into the hole that was 20' away. In N.Indiana and the U.P. of Mich. we are literally overrun with coons and they too can be a tough critter to kill with one shot!

Tim

Kal,

The HMR and .22 mag will do the job. As to the .22 mag, you know that well and have proven that it can be effective. I think the .17 HMR will be effective too, at longer ranges even, but with head shots.

The reason I said what I did is due to your statement that there may not be many opportunities for a head shot. To me, that's the decisive question. But, given head shots, I think you'll drop them.

We did shoot a groundhog this summer at 117 yards with the HMR and a Hornady 17 gr. V-Max, body shot. It was hit in the neck / shoulder area and it dropped like a rock while sitting directly on top of the den entrance. It never made it into the den. But, that was an exception, in my opinion.

The .17 HMR has won my confidence as a longer-range crow sniper, and now for groundhogs. I shoot the 20 gr. CCI Game Points and really like them. To me, at least, they seem to work better than the 17 gr. ammo.

Here's a short clip of this summer's groundhog shoot if you would like to see it.

I hope it all works well for you. Keep us posted as we all want to know just what the little cartridge is capable of.

David

Nice clip looks really well put together!

My shots out of the ol hangun are gonna be under 100yds for certain, the longest shot ive killed a coon was paced out at 70ish which for me is way out there, using my 10" 22mag contender, LUCKY head shot!

so im thinking under 50yds Itll work well.

So, is the Video done? or still in the works?

looked good. I like videos that have a little bit of everything in it.

Thanks again for the reply.

Dave

btw I like the signiture line Big Tim!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
i agree both will do fine however,
im a big 22mag fan beleive it or not when i started here i was all about the.17. i just like the mag for my own personal reasons!

Are you wanting a handgun or a rifle??

I own a couple of single six's, and have owned a bunch more. If you are wanting to shoot 50 yard shots then I would pass. Most all of the single six's I have seen are not capable of 50 yard shots on raccoons, especially head shots.

If you want a handgun then I would look at a S&W to be accurate enough. Or a TC Contender can easily get the job done-I just don't think the single six is up to the job.

And personally I would stay with the 22 magnum over the 17 HMR. Out to 50 yards the drop is not much difference. And I think the 22 magnum hits harder. Just an opinion.

If you are looking for a rifle then I would suggest a good lever action. Nice and compact, fast handling, fast shooting, and quick follow ups for that second coon in the tree. Or that running shot from tree to tree, or tree to ground.

We like to call coons. I am looking for a new lever action for that. But I am looking for either a 218 Bee, 25-20, or 32-20. With the emphasis on the 32-20. Tom.

Kal, the video is in the making. I was hoping to finish it this summer, but looks like it's going to run into next year. Groundhog season is about to come to an end here for this year.

Hogghead, the .218 Bee is a fine little cartridge, and will do slightly more than the 22 Hornet. I have a Bee in the Ruger #1. It's a real winner shooting 40 gr. V-Max. With the 26" barrel, it will do over 3,000 fps. Of course, a lever action will require a different bullet and will have a shorter barrel. Still, it's a good one, in my opinion.

For shooting coons I would cast a bullet for the Bee with a flat meplat, then I would load it down to lessen the pelt damage. I believe if I cast the bullet with straight lead and keep the velocity at about 1800-2000 fps I should get a very tiny hole going in, and no exit hole. Only one way to find out!! Tom.

That will be interesting to see. Nothing like trying it to see what it will do. There's a lot of satisfaction too from making your own, designed to do what you want, and to have it perform up to specs. Keep us posted.

Im looking for a handgun, I have the contender in 22mag, and the savage 93 in 22mag. and a Single six in 22lr/mag.

I guess the reason for the single six not being such a tack driver is they have to accomodate two different size bullets. a bit big for the LR and a bit tight for the mag.
The 17hmr on the other hand isnt chambered for anything other than 17hmr, at least the one that I had seen.
but, this is just what ive read, mine shoots fine but Ive lost the mag cyl somewhere along the way.

I use 50yds as my max for the revolver, Ill have the rifle for anything longer, if I do my part the coon will be closer LOL.

The smiths are nice but way out of my price range for the few models ive seen in rimfire. the Hunter models SS is stretching my budget and may be awhile before i get one as it is.

thanks
Dave

Did some Interweb snooping last night and from what I understand that 17 hunter version is super accurate.
I may have to get one anyway for whatever pest decides it wants to eat my newly planted trees!

now if I can just find a load with a bullet that will give good penetration and just not blow up I think I can be in business.

And like I said, 50yds was just a yd marker I tossed out, Im pretty sure im not that good of a shot to be head shooting anything at that distance with a handgun.

Thanks again

Dave

Kal52, I have had both guns in the single six the .22mag and .17hmr. I love my ruger 77/17 rifle and you could hit a coon in the head with no problem and I have. But I kept the .17hmr single six for a month and sold it for a loss. It was the most LOUD gun I have ever owned bar none, I mean it hurt every time I pulled the trigger. I have shot 16" .223 ARs that could not hold a candle to the noise that .17 hmr put out. The .22 mag in the single six I had no problem with. If your going to buy one see if you can shoot someones at a gun club first if you can. Good luck!

Back