Popped # 5 using my home made calls.

bushpilotmexico

The weekend weather was nothing but rain so I decided to work on some callers. Thanks to Tony Tebbe, when I was hunting with him in New Mexico a couple of years ago, he showed me how to cut out the mylar reeds. I friend's dog had dragged a cow horn home from a neighbors and chewed out the skull side trying to get at the sweet meat inside. Once they tired of it, he said it had laid on the front lawn for a couple of weeks, I picked it up determined to try and make a howler.

This is the result and you know what? Thank's to Tony the sound ain't all that bad.

Picture0460.jpg

I also finished up a couple of other calls, fighting like crazy with the shape of the tone boards and re-cutting the reeds until I got a reasonable sound.

Now, I thought to myself, Let's try and call in a yote using my own calls for the ultimate rush.

The weather forecast for this morning was so so but I got up at 4:15 am, booted up the computer and checked out the local weather. Wind was out of the north at around 5 to 10 mph so with only clouds and no rain I decided to give my sage brush stand another try.

I was settled in at 5:35 am and just waited for light enough to see wiley and shoot if necessary.

At 6:10 (we lose 3 minutes of light daily) I let loose with my sambar stag deer horn caller and kept up an almost continuous wail.

Twenty minutes into the calling I saw the coyote way out in front of me just staring at me. I teased and coaxed for at least 2 to 3 minutes more but he stayed rock solid and just didn't move.

I estimated the distance at around 200 yards so I click on 1 MoA of elevation on the Nikon Buckmaster, steadied my rifle on my mono pod, centered the cross hairs and squeezed off the shot. I heard the 75 grain V-max hit and he went down.

I was going to try a Ki-Yi when I saw him up and moving downhill, then I lost him again in the sage brush.

Packed up and went to look for him, I found where I hit him, big blood patch and a hunk of hair, followed the blood trail and found him about 15 yards away from where I initially dropped him. One smart yote, looked like a mature maybe 3 year old male well fleshed and heavy. The interesting thing when I went to take my souvenir tail was that he didn't have any!

I took it anyway and when I skinned it out at home it produced a miniature tail bone. I was kind of thinking that if it had been some how bit or torn off previously there would have been a large stub of bone? Don't think he was born that way, unless he lost it as a pup?

I ranged it afterwards at 235 yards.

Picture461.jpg

Picture462.jpg

I've got my blue glove on!

Here is his tail:

Picture464.jpg

This is a photo of my calls:

Picture465.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you are going to have a great season Cliff. Funny that you got a bobtail coyote, as I know you cut tails and tan them as trophies.
smile.gif

I love the calls, especially that dark antler one. What type of antler is that? Elk or Moose?

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Love the blood on the grill.

Keep the stories and pics coming. I got skunked the last time out on 7 stands. At least with reading your posts I get reminded of what I'm supposed to be doing.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeLooks like you are going to have a great season Cliff. Funny that you got a bobtail coyote, as I know you cut tails and tan them as trophies.
smile.gif

I love the calls, especially that dark antler one. What type of antler is that? Elk or Moose?

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Hi Tony,

It's Indian Sambar stag used mostly on knife handles, this year has started great so far, all have been mature yotes. Haven't found one from this years litter yet but still trying.

Cliff

Good to hear from you I always enjoy reading your post. That was one nice looking coyote for this time of year. I did see one the other day that was nice looking but I don't think it was as furred up as that one.
Calling one in with your own calls is a hoot. I make distress calls from deer antler and howlers from cow horn. I made some elk bite reed calls for my son and one of his buddies and they said they have worked great so far, just cant keep the limbs from deflecting their arrows. Antler is really neat stuff to work with and the shape of the antler can make for some interesting looking calls. I get alot of my supplies from bearmanric. He has a post in one of the hand call forums, great guy to deal with. I saw he has some metal deer reeds, thats going to be my next try. Good luck I hope we hear from you again, with coyotes killed with your own calls.

Originally Posted By: GLA.ORGood to hear from you I always enjoy reading your post. That was one nice looking coyote for this time of year. I did see one the other day that was nice looking but I don't think it was as furred up as that one.
Calling one in with your own calls is a hoot. I make distress calls from deer antler and howlers from cow horn. I made some elk bite reed calls for my son and one of his buddies and they said they have worked great so far, just cant keep the limbs from deflecting their arrows. Antler is really neat stuff to work with and the shape of the antler can make for some interesting looking calls. I get alot of my supplies from bearmanric. He has a post in one of the hand call forums, great guy to deal with. I saw he has some metal deer reeds, thats going to be my next try. Good luck I hope we hear from you again, with coyotes killed with your own calls.

It's good to hear from you, to be honest I have always leaned towards hand calls over electronic. Tony was a great teacher and I would highly recommend him to anyone interested in serious predator calling.

bushpilotmexico
Quote:popped # 5 using my home made calls.
Ain't that the greatest feeling!!
We all put pride in our work and it's so rewarding to harvest with our own calls!!!
Congratulations!! Nice post!
Mark

Nice Pathfinder also. I had a white w/ gray leather interior 1995 until April 2008. Had 168K miles on it when I replaced it with a 2008 Ford F150 Supercrew (4 door). The midwest winters has started to take a toll on the frame and it was rusting out in a few places.

Used a hitch haul carrier in the 2" receiver to carry deer home every season. Probably the best $90 I ever spent buying the carrier.

Pathfinder never let me down. Only time it was ever stuck was in a muddy corn field about 1pm in the afternoon. Left it there and went deer hunting, came out after sundown and the temp had dropped causing the ground to freeze a little and I drove the Pathy right out.

Nice Pathfinder also. I had a white w/ gray leather interior 1995 until April 2008. Had 168K miles on it when I replaced it with a 2008 Ford F150 Supercrew (4 door). The midwest winters has started to take a toll on the frame and it was rusting out in a few places.

Used a hitch haul carrier in the 2" receiver to carry deer home every season. Probably the best $90 I ever spent buying the carrier.

Pathfinder never let me down. Only time it was ever stuck was in a muddy corn field about 1pm in the afternoon. Left it there and went deer hunting, came out after sundown and the temp had dropped causing the ground to freeze a little and I drove the Pathy right out.

Originally Posted By: the big dawgNice Pathfinder also. I had a white w/ gray leather interior 1995 until April 2008.

Mine is a 1995, has the turning radius of a Greyhound bus but I think it's a great machine.

Back