.223 vs. .22-250

If you have ever had a few spinners, you will want power from then on out.

69g Bullets in a 223 were not impressive at all, not to mention the trajectory. I never shot the 60g V Max or the 75g V max, but the trajectory in a 223 does not thrill me at all.

The average long shot for my kind of calling was between 250 and 325 yards, and a 223 is taking a nose dive at those ranges. When the bullet is taking a nose dive, you hit them low and unzip them...they are gone unless they get their guts caught up in a cactus.

A more serious consideration between the two cartridges is when you take a running shot and are off on your leade a little and hit them back in the stomach. Often this shot with a 223 will not phase them and they pour on the afterburners, while the 22/250 will at least knock them down for a while before they get up and try to hobble off.

In a standard 14" twist 22/250, the 55's at 3650-3700 are normal, and that is flat shooting and will knock the [beeep] out of a yote at 200 yards, and you have more destruction when you hit them in the stomach.

I have killed a lot of yotes with a 223 and I do not consider it a good 300 yard gun for coyotes, and have had many spinners with a 22/250 at 300. For those kind of ranges, the 243,6 Rem and 25/06 are king.

Most 223's with factory 55g loads are in the 3250 fps area, and the same 55g factory loads are in the 3650 area, 400 fps makes a big difference on the receiving end. With Hand loads using Win 760 with the 55's in the 22/250, the top accuracy node is usually in the 3700-3750 fps area with the 55's. I have a custom rifle in 223 that will push 3450 fps+ with the 55's, 26" barrel.

Having said this, most shots on yotes are in the 125 yard area or less, depending in the part of the country you hunt in.

A 22/250 is a cannon on yotes.

I don't save hides anymore. I prefer the 243, 6Rem, and 25/06. They can't run off if you blow them up.

I have both, as well as a .243. My shots range from 0 to 300 yards, average right around 100 (I've kept track). Beyond that, I basically don't shoot unless I just really, really have to. Line up my needs with yours and see what you think.

For the first 20 years of my coyote hunting life, I used the .22-250 but upon getting my first .223, I was pretty much done with the 250 and for the past 4 years nearly 100% of my coyote hunting has been with the .223. It gets my vote but if you get a .22-250, we can still be friends.
smile.gif

Now, if you're gonna KILL coyotes and forget the fur, then that's different. Just shoot whatever you want. If I didn't care about furs, I'd use my .280.

Yeppers, average shot is between 85-125 yards!

My favorite yote rifle was a Rem 700 in 270 loaded with Sierra 90g HP at 3550. With the 270 and 90HP, there are no nippers and spinners, if you are off on your lead with them running, it will shoot their entire hind quarters off.

I'd go with .223. There are darn few that can shoot well enough to utilize the extra pop of a .22-250. And if you can, you can use a heavier bullet in a .223.

I've hardly shot my .22-250 since I got a .223.

.223 all the way! Cheaper to shoot, less recoil. Nothing against the 22-250 but if your wanting knock down power I would skip the 22-250 and just get a .243 then you can use it for deer also if you live in a state like CO where a .22 cal is not legal for deer. This all depends on if you want the hides also. Plus if you ever did get into reloading have you seen the price of 22-250 brass
ohmy.gif

Alot of my buddy's use 22-250 and they love them but funny how when we go to just shooting they don't send no where near the rounds down the tube that I do with my .223 and they always wanna shoot their shotguns instead I wonder why
confused.gif
grin.gif

As stated many times in this post if you decide on the 22-250 get a faster twist barrel than the standard 1:14, I shoot a 250 and my max bullet weight that I can stabilize is a 52grn A-Max, I also have a .223 with a 1:9 and have shot up to 75grn projectiles without de-stabilization problems.

I dunno guys - this is one of those classic, timeless debates - Ford vs Chevy; .270 vs .30-06, etc. etc. In the hands of a skilled rifleman and used within their respective limitations, both are excellent cartridges.

Having said that, I shoot for fur and use a .223 with 55gr V-maxes loaded DOWN to about 3000fps. I limit my shots on called coyotes to 200 yds or so. I haven't had any runners or "spinners" in the five years I've settled on this load/range restriction.

Conversely, my son shoots a .22-250. It's a [beeep] of a lot faster, flatter and deadlier at extended ranges, but I've seen him lose a few coyotes to bullets blowing up on shoulder shots at close range - go figure. We hunt together, and try to choose our shots accordingly - I get the easy close-in targets; he takes the long range shots. It works well for us.

In the end, you should shoot what you like, just learn to shoot it well. Remember the old axiom: "It ain't the arrow; it's the Indian."

Originally Posted By: Dsmith7136Remember the old axiom: "It ain't the arrow; it's the Indian."

I mostly agree but tell that to the guys debating the use of an air rifle for suburban coyotes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dmpowder Nothing against the 22-250 but if your wanting knock down power I would skip the 22-250 and just get a .243 then you can use it for deer also if you live in a state like CO ....

That, too. Except that I'm probably going to just skip the .243 and go for my .280. Gimme a .22 LR, .223, .280 and I'm done.

To tell you the truth, the only thing the 22-250 offers you in a little extra range.

But to be frank, I'm going to guess that your not a good enough shot, to take advantage of that extra range. There are very very few people who are, and I'm not one of them either. I say this knowing full well that the internet has turned everyone into a self proclaimed sniper, so I may get flamed for it.

Get the .223 and be happy with it. Its easy to find ammo, and cheaper to shoot as well.

Heck use the money you "save" to buy more ammo, and practice. That extra practice will do more for your game getting ability's then any caliber ever will.

I at some point will get a 250 just to have one. Inside 300 yards dead is dead. .223 is cheaper to shoot and since you identified your shooting range to 150 maybe 200 the 250 will give you nothing the .223 can't do also. To me it is more about shot placement than power of the gun in this case. You wont be unhappy with either but the .223 has my vote.

Originally Posted By: Dsmith7136I dunno guys - this is one of those classic, timeless debates - Ford vs Chevy; .270 vs .30-06, etc. etc. In the hands of a skilled rifleman and used within their respective limitations, both are excellent cartridges.

Having said that, I shoot for fur and use a .223 with 55gr V-maxes loaded DOWN to about 3000fps. I limit my shots on called coyotes to 200 yds or so. I haven't had any runners or "spinners" in the five years I've settled on this load/range restriction.

Conversely, my son shoots a .22-250. It's a [beeep] of a lot faster, flatter and deadlier at extended ranges, but I've seen him lose a few coyotes to bullets blowing up on shoulder shots at close range - go figure. We hunt together, and try to choose our shots accordingly - I get the easy close-in targets; he takes the long range shots. It works well for us.

In the end, you should shoot what you like, just learn to shoot it well. Remember the old axiom: "It ain't the arrow; it's the Indian."

working with a buddy seems to be a good solution. one guy with a shotgun the other a rifle can also be good.

A critter hit with a 50gr vmax bullet from a 223 will have the effect of death,I don't own a 22-250 so I can't say much other than it should do the same but with a few more fps.

Sure, you can't make dead deader, but you can make a lot more live ones dead with a 22-250. The extra fps translates to flatter, easier and more thump.

bulldogto - ackleyman's post describes the differences you can expect from both rounds the best. Read his post carefully before you buy ......

[/quote]working with a buddy seems to be a good solution. one guy with a shotgun the other a rifle can also be good. [/quote]

Absolutely. A coyote hunting buddy of mine just got himself a shotty gun and worked up some 3-inch 50 yard loads for exactly that reason. I'm looking forward to calling with him this week.

Back