You think you had a bad day??? Check out pics of Spotlight

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyI believe if I was that poor dog I would just give up hunting. Lol.

You can take the dog out of the hunt, but you can't take the hunt out of the dog. Got a feelin he's a better dog for it. Kinda like having someone slam the door to your truck on your hand. Not something you tend to forget anytime soon.

No fun for sure!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words, common knowledge that my dogs get worked, and sometimes pretty hard. Cuts ,broke bones, even one time a dog shot.
A quill pig is just part of the game. I'm blessed that I could take care of it myself, instead of taking dogs 35 miles to the vet, and having to pay them.
I gave both older dogs "dex", and "penn", I will watch for "festered quills" and lance them if needed, and watch for infection.
Not my first "go round" with the worthless little ba$tards.

Had the same thing about 15 years ago. I had quills still showing up for several months afterward that where coming out in the dogs back and sides. You'll feel them when you pet the dog. No other issues or infections though. Those pictures give me the chills!

we were deer hunting last year and seen one that probably weighed 40 lbs. does it really make it easier to pull them out if you cut the head off first.

Originally Posted By: mike4we were deer hunting last year and seen one that probably weighed 40 lbs. does it really make it easier to pull them out if you cut the head off first.

I've heard the same thing, but only after my dog got into one almost this bad. Would be nice to know if this was true for next time.......

XM110

We have used fingernail clippers to cut the ends off before we pulled the quills out of a horse. The quills are hollow and the theory is that when you cut them off it lets them flex/collapse more and thus come out a little more easily. That is the only time I have encountered a situation with a prickle pig, but the old boy that I was helping was adamant that clipping them a little bit made it easier to pull the quills.

BITTY P!SS, I have pulled quills more times over the years than I want to even remember.(Dogs, calves, and horses) "Cutting quills" is an old wifes tale. By the time you "clip" them all, you are further ahead to just pull the quills.
Faster, and less stress on the animal, and handler.

Back