Deer - Muzzle Loader Opening Day

KAG

Well 6 days till opening day. Been putting a few loads down range in my Knight 50cal Vision. The Hornady 45cal 230gr XTP wrapped in harvester crush rib using Blackhorn 209 to push it have proven to be accurate and really deadly if I do my part. I also have been experimenting with 185gr XTP's but as I have never actually seen any or read anything about guys using them on deer I will more than likely stick with the 230gr. Even the 185gr XTP do shoot quite a bit flatter in my Knight ML.

I look forward to opening ML opening day every year. Just so much fun, you get to get out before all the modern firearm hunters start pounding the brush. This year been eying a really nice deer I have watched out over the point from my house. Some days he's there some days he's not but going to give it a try opening morning.

Any body else getting worked up yet for ML season where your at?

Well 2 days to go. Been out most of the morning trying different loads and such, keeping coming back to the 240gr XTP's. Been out scouting, just seeing manly does and such.

We got two mulie does last week. One on Sept. 11, the CO. ML season opener and one the following Tuesday. 295 gr PowerBelts. Did not see one antlered deer though, major downer. Saw a nice bear and some elk I didn't have a tag for.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back