Barrel to Objective Clearance?

Sock Puppet

I just finished mounting a new scope on my Howa 1500 in .223. I used medium height Burris Signature Z-Rings. The scope has a 44mm objective. The height is perfect for me as I have good cheek weld when lined up.

My concern is that the clearance between the barrel and the scope's objective bell is .006 inches. I don't think the barrel will ever heat up enough to cause a problem, but I thought I better ask you guys. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Just warm that puppy up with some practice shots and check its not touching. If you can get a buisness card under it that should be fine.

The lower the better so sounds like you got it perfect. I run extra low leupy rings on my tikka.

Originally Posted By: Sock PuppetI just finished mounting a new scope on my Howa 1500 in .223. I used medium height Burris Signature Z-Rings. The scope has a 44mm objective. The height is perfect for me as I have good cheek weld when lined up.

My concern is that the clearance between the barrel and the scope's objective bell is .006 inches. I don't think the barrel will ever heat up enough to cause a problem, but I thought I better ask you guys. Thoughts?

Sounds a bit like my set-up w/a 44 bell, 1 bus. card slides easily, 2 card's an you can feel a slight resistance. Close to a 100 rds. under it, never been an issue. But it is a sporter barrel, I won't shoot it hot.

I wouldn't think a barrel would swell that much. Most setups end up with ~1/8" clearance but the less the better. That's a tight squeeze but it works!

It's not the expansion from heat that you need to worry about. The barrel whip when fired is much larger. .006" is very marginal.

Jack

Back