Range Report Help!! asap

CD82

well i got a range report for my ar-15 and right now im not sure what to do.

ive got a bushnell trophy 3x9x40 scope on the ar-15.

all i had time today was for 50 rounds between me and my buddy.
we cant even get it on paper at all i had called my local academy.
to see if they could atleast bore site it and they said they dont bore site ars.

now this scope i know is good because i took it off of my 243 and i had it dead on at 200 yards

at 100 yards and 50 rounds i cant even get this thing on paper

everything is tight for the scope and mounts and im resting on a bag

any suggestions ??

i just hope its not the rifle

Make sure you have a big piece of cardboard behind your target at 25 yards so you will know where your bullet is hitting....Let us know how it turns out...
thumbup1.gif

yeah i will i just hope its not the rifle

ive always wnated an ar yeah its a carbine and i know i. cant get any awsome groups like i can with my bolt guns.
if al else fails and it is the rifle guess i could go back. to a bolt gun whould prob get a bolt 223

but i think tomorrow i can get it sighted in and then. i can get to killing some hogs or coyotes

Make sure you are hitting about 2 Inches low at 25 yards before going further out. If you are dead on at 25 you will be way high at 100.

I start at 10 yards. Zero left/right, close on elevation and move to 25 and you will be on paper.
Can't your boresight it by putting the upper, with the bolt removed, in a pair of bags and dialing the scope to zero?

To each his own, but I always bore-sight the AR by removing the bolt/carrier. Pick out a vertical straight edge, like the corner of a building, and adjust the cross-hair so that it lines up with with the vertical edge. Now pick out a horizontal edge and do the same with the elevation control.

Reinstall your bolt/carrier and shoot it at 25 yards. You are going to need to be dead on left to right and between an inch to two inches low depending on your scope mount.

Due to the fact that you are at 25 yards, all of the scope controls will be multiplied by a factor of 4. If your scope is "1 click = 1/4" @ 100 yards" then you will need to move it 16 clicks to move it an inch at 25 yards. Most scopes track very well, so two shots at 25 yards should be all you need.

Once you have it around 1-1/2" low at 25 yards, it should be "on paper" at 100 yards.

You need to keep in mind that on an AR, your line of sight through your scope is approximately 2.5" above your rifle's bore...so any settings on the scope will be much different than with your bolt action..which is usually about 1.5", at the most..

When installing a new/different scope on my ARs, I will do as DTech suggested, with the exception of lining up the bore on a distant object (a neighbor's basketball goal) that is about 100 yards away, and then making sure the scope is optically centered and starting from there...It usually lines up pretty close to what I'm seeing through the bore and only takes a couple of clicks at the range to "fine tune" the point of impact..

im more into thinking that its the darn gun ive never had issues like this before. ive bought a few scopes an just tossed on my 22s. and never had issues geting them on paper.

50 shells an its not even on paper something is wrong some where

i know its not the scope

bet all you want its not the scope

its a dpms oracle in .223

i will be going back out today an shooting it
if i cant get it to hit paper i will sell the rifle

i might try the other scope i have same scope on my 204 if the rifle does the same thing ill sell it

i do know for a fact that scope i took off my 243 isnt bad i shot it last month infact

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CD82bet all you want its not the scope

No need for attitude man, you asked for help and thats what we are trying to do....I was trying to say it in a nice way but Ill rephrase....What Im trying to say is this, I would be willing to bet that the problem is in that $50.00 scope (as long as your mounts are good and tight) instead of that $700.00 rifle...

Here is a five shot group from my sons DPMS ORACLE at 100 yards....No problems here whatsoever!

100_2736.jpg

100_2739.jpg

when I switch scopes from one rifle to another.......... I recenter the crosshairs in the scope.... I have a block of wood with a v notched cradle piece of wood on each end.. i put this in the vice..... i turn the scope upside down and then back and adjust the crosshairs until they do not move when you turn it upside down and then back.... that readjusts the scope to the center of the tube before you start cranking on the adjsutments.....

Let's assume that the scope is good and the rifle is good...

Remove the scope and center the reticle on a mirror...Just to be sure that it is moving as it should and it will provide a good place to start the elimination process..If you are not familiar with the process...Hold the scope against a mirror and you normally will see two sets of reticles when looking through the scope...Move your windage and elevation knobs to the point where you only see one reticle...

After you get it centered optically, with the scope still loose, lock the upper in a position that allows you to look through the bore at a distant object (neighbor's window, house, etc.) and locate an easy to see point...

Without moving the upper, set the scope in the bottom half of the scope rings and observe where the reticle is, in relation to the item you are seeing in the bore...That will give you a good indication as to the relationship of the scope and mounts to the rifle barrel...

If the view is pretty much the same, carefully replace the ring caps and tighten just enough that you can still turn the scope with a little effort and that will allow you to adjust it so that it isn't canted right or left...If you have a couple of bubble levels, that's even better..you need to know that your rifle/scope is level for your best accuracy..

When you have the scope fully tightened back on the rifle upper, re-check the view through the bore and the scope to make sure that you haven't put the scope in a bind, in the rings,,,

At the range, you should be 'on paper' with the first shot and it should only take a few clicks to fine tune your point of impact, depending on the distance..

Don't let a simple process get you frustrated...DPMS puts out some good rifles.. I don't have any experience with your scope, but Bushnell has a decent reputation as well..Sometimes, in the excitement of a 'new toy', we get in a hurry to try it out and miss a simple process in putting it all together..

lmao at 50$ scope

my scope set just as high as yours does i had to get a riser. a pmag riser from academy they couldnt bore sight the scope because the scope set to high.

and the scope isnt 50$ i paied 130$ for this scope localy

its a bushnell trophy 3x9x40 heh 50$

Back