A cold snap.. A first.. And seven dead coyotes!

getemclose

The weather the last week has been dipping into the low 30's during the night, and low 40's during the day, I just had to get out for a morning of calling!!

Marty Was in a fishing tourney for the day, So I decided I would just head out by myself and try some new spots for the morning.

After sleeping in a bit to late I was settled into my first stand at around 8:00 a.m
unsure.gif
.. Definately Not what I wanted! But oh well I would do my best. I set up on a fenceline with rolling hills and cattail sloughs below me, 10 minutes into lightning jack nothing is showing.. hmm.. Well I guess ill try the secret sound. Immediately I spot a hard charger following the fence line up.. I ready my rifle and let the dog come in nice and close, He stops and thats my cue! One dog down.. ( pic later )

Ok sweet! one stand one dog, Lets keep this rolling.. I gather up my gear and head to the next stand. I decide to try a dried up cattail pond were I have seen coyotes before.. I hit the call and turn my head and there is a coyote!! not 50 yards away, just looking at me.. hmmm. I must have awoken him! I quickly adjust my rifle and let him have it before he can bust me! two stands two dogs.. Lets try for three!

My dad was actually grouse hunting in the area and I forgot my digital camera!
scared.gif
.. luckily he had his and I caught up with him so he could snap a pic! and give me the tripod and camera!
tt2.gif

six002.jpg

six003.jpg

As I am grabbing the camera My little brother who was grouse hunting with my dad asks if I could get him a coyote.! He has never coyote hunted before But I jumped at the oppertunity! I would love to get him his FIRST coyote.. He jumps into my truck and we head up the road.

Now the pressure is on boys! He is only 13 years old and I dont want to bore him with dry stands! I pick a spot that I felt Would give us a good chance of calling in a dog, and also would give him plently of time to ready for a shot.. We set up agaisnt a rock laying prone. In front of us lies a harvested pea field and beyond that rolling pasture.. WITH cows in it! I love cows
smile.gif
.. I hit the call and pick up my binos to glass the pasture. As I scan I spot a coyote BOMBING his way at us!! I inform my young brother ( jacob ) a coyote is coming! The coyote reaches the harvested field and my brother then spots him! For the next 300 yards the coyote comes across the barren harvested field and my brother is freaking out.. I settle him down and bark the coyote to a stop at 50 yards... bang FLOP! Jacob smoked him
smile.gif
.. His first EVER coyote stand And I got him his first ever dog! cool under pressure I would say.. He is still smiling.. Im proud of him!

six005.jpg
( Jacob ! )

After we get his picture He tells me He wants to go show dad his coyote! So we head back and find my dad and let jacob show off his dog, and re tell the story!..

Jacob and my dad decided to go after some more grouse, And I head back down the road for more dogs!

Ok.. Im 3 for three! Lets keep this rolling!.. uh-oh nevermind.. Next stand is a bust! Oh well.. I cant win them all..

As Im driving up the road I spot a coyote off in the distance doing a little mousing! As I inspect him further I see he has the mange bad.. I need to do him a favor and save him the misery of winter.. I grab my rifle and TT calls and head up the fenceline to cut him off!.. I set up approx. 500 yards from his position and give two bursts on my Tony Tebbe hand call.. The coyotes love them! As I expected he tops the hill heading my way! I let him reach 100 yards and take the shot.. BOOM..... miss.. What the... What just happened? I jack another round in my gun, and the coyote is now 160-170 out running.. I track him in the scope and let one fly. Bang.. WHOP.. thats more like it.. I cant believe I missed that chip shot!. Oh well.. Atleast I got him on the follow up.. ( No picture, mange heavy! )

Alright thats four dogs.. Its still early! I can definately still get some more stands in before noon..

My next stand Im set up in a decent looking small pasture that I dont have much confidence in.. You see Marty and I are saving all our good areas for a few tournaments we will be hunting. So everything I am hunting now is new to me!.

As im getting settled in I glass my surroundings ( I always do this before starting the call ) And like many other times, I spot a coyote bedded.. I hit some low squeaks on the call and the dogs ears perk up! He is interested.. I look down at the foxpro remote, and then back up at the..... Were did he go?? I pick up my binos and still.. no coyote. I begin questioning myself when all the sudden I look below me and yup.. There he is at 75 yards. I wait for him to look away and quickly adjust my rifle. This on was a chip shot.. thats 5!

six014.jpg
( sorry for the cord in the photo I hate taking pics by myself! )

Its now 12 o clock and I decide I will try one more stand. I head about 20 miles in the opposite direction I usually go and Try something totally different. One deep ravine with small bushes on its edges.. I could see a coyote hiding in here! I begin calling but after 10 minutes Nothing is showing.. A bug lands on my shoulder and I slowly move to swat it, and out of the corner of my eye I spot two coyotes coming from the total OPPOSITE direction im calling, across a stuble field! They must have been bedded up in a rock pile.. I adjust my gun as I quickly realize these coyotes are not messing around, they are coming on a string. I lip squeak some and let them come in nice and close. The lead dog slows a bit and I take the shot.. he drops in his tracks. The other dogs slinks to my right at a dead run. I jam another bullet into the chamber and swing my rifle, I judge the coyote at 100 yards and track him in the scope. The shot connects perfectly and I cant believe how fast it happened!

I gather up the dogs and Find my dad and brother.. I Decided to call it a day as I wanted to help my brother with some deer hunting in the afternoon. A part of me wanted to keep calling to see If I could break ten in a day.. But im content with my morning.. It was some wild action.

six009.jpg

six011.jpg

six dogs pictured minus the mangey one!

Did I mention I live for coyote hunting!!!
tt1.gif

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man thats awesome. Some great calling and shooting on your part. Seven in a day would definately get my blood flowing.

Wow! If I killed 7 dogs in 1 day I woul be wearing a cape and telling people I'm super man!! I killed 3 in 1 day and felt like I was cool. Ha ha congrats. And good job on your little bro.

Sierra 60 grain hollow points.. I think I had one coyote that took somewhat bad bullet damage.. the rest looked great. So far im very pleased with them.

Only seven, ain't nothing to it--
drool.gif
-I can do that before I wake up
blink.gif
In my dreams...but you had me at the first line--

Originally Posted By: getemcloseThe weather the last week has been dipping into the low 30's during the night, and low 40's during the day,

Down here when I wake up at 4:30am and its in the high 60's-I think that something..

Great Story--Tell Jacob Congrats..
David

Wow! Seven Coyotes....better luck next time. Try and reflect on what you weren't doing right. HAH!!!!!

You're the envy of the coyote hunting community!

Thanks for sharing and keep knocking them down!

Originally Posted By: BowknuttOnly seven, ain't nothing to it--
drool.gif
-I can do that before I wake up
blink.gif
In my dreams...but you had me at the first line--

Originally Posted By: getemcloseThe weather the last week has been dipping into the low 30's during the night, and low 40's during the day,

Down here when I wake up at 4:30am and its in the high 60's-I think that something..

Great Story--Tell Jacob Congrats..
David

You're breaking my heart, Bow,
laugh.gif
we had a 72 hour period where the LOWEST temp was 92... wanna trade, you'll need asbestos shoes and undershorts.

Great story and Great writing. I could totally see myself picking up a copy of Predator Extreme mag. in a few years and reading one of your articles. If you really enjoy writing, I would say you have a future.

What rifle set up you got there? Give us the details of your boom stick rig.

Back