Best factory 223 ammo for coyotes/bobcats?

Call-and-Kill

Hey guys. Supposed to be getting my new Model 7 predator 223 here pretty soon, and since Im down here in Missoula, and all my dad and my reloading equipment is 150 miles away in Choteau, I wont be able to reload for it this year. What have ya'll had the best luck with that is pretty fur friendly?

Hornady Varmint Express 55 gr. V-Max in my AR. It shoots extremely small groups from my barrel, you'll have to see if it will from yours.

I was thinking about getting some if i can find it around here. Seems like the only 223 stuff the stores stock around here are remington and winchester ballistic silver tips. dont want to pay $30+ a box for winchester though. Another one i thought about trying was the Winchester USA stuff in the white box with 40 rounds. loaded with 45gr JHPs. I shoot them out of my 22-250 but they are super explosive. maybe they will work better at 223 speeds?

Quote:Winchester USA stuff in the white box with 40 rounds. loaded with 45gr JHPs.

I tried those in my AR. The groups were at least twice as big as the Hornadys, so I never bought any more. They may shoot great through your barrel, most people have good luck with them. Not me.
I can't tell you how explosive they are, since I only punched paper with them.
I've got some Black Hills 60 gr. Nosler Partitions, too, but I doubt you're going to find those sitting on a store shelf.
I think thet would make a pretty good bullet for all-around use.

I couldn't keep coyotes down with the 55gr sp. 55vmax trash the pelt. I shoot some out to 300yds so 40 vmax are out. the 60 gr nosler BT and 60 gr vmax keep them down better. All shot well out of my 1in9 AR. As for factory loads? Good luck! I dont know any that loads 60gr comercialy

They're tough, but not impossible, to find on the open market, but I use Speer 64gr. Gold Dot soft points. They are a lot like the Federal bonded soft points; I'm not sure of the trade name. The Speer item #'s are 24450, 24448, and one other I can't remember. They all have a listed MV of around 2800 fps. I haven't had one of the bullets fragment or splash yet. On frontal/chest shots from as close as 20 yards to over 200 yards, they've done the same thing; mushroomed and plowed through nearly stem to stern.

any 55 or 60 gr SP or vmax. As said black hills loads it and it was on sale a week or two ago at cabelas. Just depends what your gun prefers. Right now I'm sighted in with hornaday 55 gr sp from cabelas in the 50 rd. box.Fired from the tikka t-3, even with the 5x scope, i'm still putting down moa and better off shooting sticks. Can't wait to send one into a dog and see what happens.

I think if you shoot factory stuff you gotta sort of balance cost, performance, and accuracy. You gotta shoot alot of rounds to get good with a new gun.

Originally Posted By: rpc55Originally Posted By: Wackmaster I dont know any that loads 60gr comercialy

Black Hills Ammo 60 gr VMax

Ditto they are Sweet in my Bushy Predator
smile.gif

Back