ChroMoly barrel break in R-15

Alec

In my cleaning regament ( bolt action)I occationaly use JB to finish off the cleaning of a very dirty barrel. I'm thinking that it might be good to polish out machine marks in a new chrome barrel. I'm getting my new R-15 this week and rather then shoot 150-200 rounds, with wet and dry patching very often at the begining, I would rather short stroke a couple patches of JB right off. What do you think? Alec Nemon

I'm no gunsmith and I sure don't know everything about guns but when I bought my AR I asked RRA if "break in" of the guns is needed and they said no. There is a lot of pros and cons out there on this.

Alec,
The best thing to do is follow the regiment you are used to. There are many thoughts on breaking in a barrel, I have my own personal opinions on it and so do other gun makers.

The thing it boils down to is doing what you are used to and creating that confidence in your equipment.

Good luck to you!

This subject has been brought up numerous times and weighed in on by some very knowledgable people. I still haven't heard a definitive answer! Here is what I followed as it seemed to be the most common method I could find.

Stainless Chrome moly Barrels
- Fire one shot, then clean your barrel. (Repeat this step 5 to 25 times.)
- Fire three shots, then clean your barrel. (Repeat this step 1 or 2 times.)
- Fire five shots, then clean your barrel and you're done.

Stainless Steel Barrels
- Fire one shot, then clean your barrel. (Repeat this step 5 times.)
- Fire three shots, then clean your barrel.
- Fire five shots, then clean your barrel and you're done.

I just did this on a new AR but I didn't do it on my .308 and my .308 is a tack driver. The only thing that I do now is after I clean them I do put one round through it. The reason for this is that we (my shooting partner and I) have noticed that we get a more accurate cold bore shot if there has been a round fired through it. I can't say whether breaking in a barrel makes a difference or not. I would love for someone to take two identical weapons and break one in and just shoot and clean the other and see an actual accuracy comparison.

So would I. I think I'm going to do a little JB scrubing, and then the 5-25 1-shot clean, 3 shot ect. Thing. I ordered some of that cheap Silver Bear 62 gr. HP ammo. I figure on useing that in break-in before hand loading. Thanks everybody for your input. Alec

Alec it may not take 25 rnds of the shoot one and clean. You will notice when the copper fouling lessens and becomes easier to remove.I dont have a bore scope but a good flashlight shined into the barrel (muzzle) will show progress.I have 2 DPMS rifles and only the one with the stainless barrel came with the shoot n clean instructions. I do it with all now just because.I like whatscotmilk said. Oh one more thing a bore guide can be had for $15.00 or less, I highly recommend one.

edit..think i got it right now.geez i better call it a day!

Last edited:
Quote:Alec it may not take 25 rnds of the shoot one and clean. You will notice when the copper fouling lessens and becomes easier to remove.

Yep, read the patches. My D-Tech only took 3 "shoot 1" and 2 "shoot 3" and it was ready to go.
I used Sweets. If a patch comes out clean, the copper is gone. Don't use a brass/bronze brush or jag, or that's what you'll see as "copper fouling".

It will all depend on how smooth the barrel starts out.

Back