lion hunters- dogs on snowmobiles?

Displayed Name

Well the question is really for anyone. I'm wondering if anyone carries a dog on snowmobile. I've seen the 4wheeler carriers but haven't seen any for snowmobiles. Well to be honest I haven't looked either.

I can picture something to build in my head but woud be interested to see some pics.

It'll be on a 92 Polaris Indy lite GT 340 and maybe in the future Polaris widetrack 500.

thanks Ryan

I built a deal to pack two dogs on a snowmachine, it was a nightmare, the dogs would shift their weight, and tip the snowmachine over.
The best bet is a dogbox on a sled behind your snow machine.
Just my experience/advice.

Duane, that is what I was going to say. There was a guy on another forum that did the same thing. He had pics, but that was a while ago since I seen it. He pulled a dog box behind him, looked just like a sled.

Good luck Ryan.

Tim

A box on the back of a sled works fine for gentle terrain but can be a pain in steeper country. Almost impossible with two dogs in it. Most guys now are going to a pull behind sled. I have one with skis but they too will tip over. The best ones seem to be the tub type like you buy with an ice fishing setup that you pull behind you. Lower CG but you'll also need more HP to pull them.

I am not a lion hunter, but we do hunt coyotes with snowmobiles occasionally. We just held on dog on each sled and drove them into where you needed to be. Most would just sit on the sled with you every once in awhile you will have a dog that is scared of the sled. If a dog will rig it will usually ride fine with you on the sled. We just held them in our lap basically and took them to the track we needed to get them to. Might not work for you guys because you may need to go a lot further for a track.

I built a very extravagant box to pull behind my Indy 500 Trail, used skis off a couple of old junk sleds, with a pivot, and tow bar kindof like a hay wagon. Looked real cool, but I spent more time kicking the thing and cursing at it than I did going down the trail. Another one of those things that works better on paper! Lol.

Thanks for the responces. Pretty much what I figured. The only way I can picture something really working is a custom box that doesn't even give him the option of shifting weight.

Bull 357- I'm not running dogs so don't need to get on a track. I may push the odd one myself but the dog would just come along for calling once and a while.

Super White Hunter- We use widetracks at work but they're out of my price range at the time being. Great machines though.

FullCryhounds- we use the plastic and fiberglass sleighs you mention but small home fuel tanks cut in half, runners and hitch added are great for heavy compact cargo. Almost indestructible and no wider than a snowmobile.

thanks Ryan

Back