Vortex Viper Scope Review

Thanks for posting review on the Vortex Viper scope. Well written and covered salient points of interest a buyer should be interested in when buying a scope. While I don't own a Vortex scope, have developed a good opinion of them due to various and many positive comments I've read about the brand on a number of gun web sites.

Hmmmmmm, but I do have one minor problem with your review. Quite simply, I would certainly expect a scope that cost you $509, which is a lot of money to this limited income retired guy, would be a very good scope that deserved a good review. LOL

Last edited:
Didn't know it was a review? If you say so though......

The 6.5-20X50 Viper's are only are $279 with select reticles right now, so they are not too expensive at all. In fact this qualifies as an absolute steal IMO
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CurlywoodsDidn't know it was a review? If you say so though......

The 6.5-20X50 Viper's are only are $279 with select reticles right now, so they are not too expensive at all. In fact this qualifies as an absolute steal IMO
smile.gif

Sorry Curlywoods, my post directed at gent who began this thread and wrote the review for Long Range hunters On Line magazine.

As for the $509 price I mentioned, I was careless in not remembering words before the $509 price, Suggested List Price,....so yep, should be available for a lower price. Reticle shown in the article about scope makes particular scope he reviewed the higher priced model 4-12X40 Viper which still sells for around $400 at SWFA with list price of $599 at Vortex's website. Vortex site sells it for $499. Since Vortex site only shows this model, guess the other reticle Viper 4-12 is discontinued and now at closeout prices. Found 4-12X40 on closeout for $239. So, the 6.5-20X50 30mm tube with a target dot reticle Vortex viper is a discontinued model now priced at $279 and the 6.5-20x44 30mm tube with a target dot is $249 at this link.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/vortex-viper-closeout-60321/

Yep, bargain prices on the closeout Vortex models. Love a bargain on a good scope and I'd be interested....but recently purchased 2 top of the line scopes in another good brand that were also discontinued models with similiar pricing. I couldn't help buying a 3x15X42SF w/target turrets and a 6.5-20X50SF w/target turrets that ruined my gun budget for quite a few months.

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 on my 300wsm and it is fantastic and they are on sale at cameraland for 279.00 while supplies last. Going to get a second one just because..

Yes to the Nitrex, available at Natchez Shooters Supplies. Their TR2 glass is quite good....my shooting buddies with their Leopolds, Burris, Nikons, Sightrons, Zeiss very impressed with my first Nitrex.

Last edited:
I have never used any of their scopes, but they seem to have a good following of late. Are these similar to the Weaver tactical series? They look similar.

Curlywoods, Present Nitrex I have identical to Weaver Super Slams as far as I can tell. Tacticals are 30mm tubes and different turrets. My TR 2 is a 1 inch tubes. Newly ordered Nitrex due here Tuesday.

Oh by the way, so happens last Sunday at range, guy that I'd never seen at our clubs range, showed up with a new rifle for Elk hunting this coming season, sat a couple of benchs from me. Had bought a new Zeiss Conquest in same power range of my Nitrex. Asked him about his Zeiss, "not as good as the German Zeiss glass", he replied, "but really good glass for its lower price." I asked him to view thru my Nitrex and see how it compared with his Zeiss, which he did. He thought it was just as clear/bright as his Zeiss and liked my reticle better. LOL, should have seen his expression when I told him the Nitrex was a discontinued model that cost me $218.

Last edited:
Always like to find those special deals
smile.gif
There are many good scopes out there that might not be "Nirvana", but they float my boat quite nicely for most of my rifles. I do own one NF and have really seriously been thinking about one of the new IOR FFP scopes for this new rifle, but it is not really going to be a tactical rig, so I will probably stick with a SFP scope, what ever I buy for it.

Anyway I might have to try out one of those Nitrex scopes pretty soon as well. The Weaver Grand Slam and tactical scopes that I have had the opportunity to try out were very nice I thought.

Back