70 or 75gr bullets in the 243

Diogee

I've got an older 243 and want to find a load for coyotes. Some have suggested the 75 VMax's and some the 70gr Nosler BT's. What is everyone's favorite powder/loads for these?

The bullet I like the best almost regardless of caliber is the Speer TNT for predators and varmints. In the 6mm Speer makes a 70gr HP, it a very pointed type hp. What I like about the Speer TNT bullets is that they are accurate and produce absolutely devastating wounds.

Last edited:
The 75 grain V-Max is VERY terminal. You didn't ask this, but give the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT a consideration too. It is a beautifully accurate and effective bullet for a wide variety of game.

GC +1 on the 85gr BTHP great bullet.

DIOGEE out of the 2 you listed i would go with the 70 nosler. I my self just like nosler bullets. They preform excellent and are a little tougher bullets then v-maxes. with that said the v-max is a great bullet but i like noslers better.

I will have to say that my favorite bullet for coyotes out of the 243 is the 70 grain Sierra Blitzking, shoots like a dream and will carry its energy way out there and the terminal performance is awesome.

Speer 70 TNT for me also. Very accurate and have never let me down with a good or bad hit. I get excellent accuracy with H4895 and Varget.

I shoot 70gr Nosler BT's with 41.6 - .7 - .8 of Varget with a Rem 9 1/2 LR primer. I think the "optimal" COL just doing the math is probably around 2.690. I was shooting this and 2.695 with pretty good success, tried the lighter 41.6 all the way out to 2.710 and as short as 2.620. 2.705 looked OK, but 2.620 first time out this past Saturday was outstanding so I will definitely be working my powder range around the shorter COLs now to try and finalize this load. But mine at even just 41.6 are up around 3,500-3,550fps out of a Tikka T3 Lite barrel. I have killed ground-hogs with these out to 280 yards consistently, and a buddy earlier this year cranked one somewhere between 300 and 325. Flat shooting, good bullet.

I'm on my 2nd coyote season using a 243. So far, all I've killed coyotes with is the 75gr Vmax, and have been surprised at how little damage has been caused. Ranges have been from 30yds to 430yds. The 6mm 75gr Vmax appears to be a tougher bullet than the Vmax in 224.

Out of 4 different 243's that I load for, Varget works the best with this bullet and the Barnes 85gr TSX, in my rifle. The other 3 rifles did not like Varget.

I got over 1000 of the Speer TNT's at an auction several years ago and started loading them in my new 700 BDL Buckmaster just to see how they'd shoot, I have not been dissapointed. I'm using IMR4007ssc with groups consistantly running between 1/2" & 3/4" and that's with a 3-9X scope.

A hornady flat based 75 grain has been my Sakos favorite load for
years. The part number is 2420. They are cheaper than most and very
accurate. Being a flat base they don't have the highest bc but running at
3400+ they get out aways.

Last edited:
Nosler is 47.0g of IMR 4350 with a Win primer at 3600 fps, and unreal accurate with bullet just touching the lands.

75g V max has been hit and miss for me on various rifles.

Good luck!

I loaded some up and am very happy with the results.

70gr Nosler BT's shot about 1" groups with 42.0 grs of Varget, but even better with 46.0 grs of H4350.

46.0 grs of H4350 shot very well with the 75gr VMax's too. Almost the same POA, 70gr BT shot about 3/8" higher at 100 yards.

I can't load too the lands in my Sako, so I seated the bullets to 2.650". Come Oct or Nov, I'll try them on some coyotes.

Can't find any 75gr Vmax's and I'm out, hope they come into the stores soon.

Back