Boone and Crocket bear

we are just going to boil it, have you ever heard that using beetles will not shrink the skull as much as boiling it. The taxidermist said he didn't think there was any truth to it. and it would be more money and we are already way past my limit.

You might want to spray it with a pressure washer. It just cuts that meat and stuff right off. We did it on a buffalo skull, and a friend did it on an elk. It works great!

Originally Posted By: Yotes2Callbe careful boiling... have seen 2 skulls fall apart from not being done right ! very sad.....

don't even say that, you don't know how heart broken I would be if that happens.

I use a pressure washer on all my elk and deer but boil them first, are you doing it with a raw head?

use a wire wheel if you boil it will shrink the skull, it even suggests on numerous websites that it will downsize the record! buuut i have no experience with this at all! i wonder if you could send it out to a taxi in another state?

Originally Posted By: Super White HunterI use a pressure washer on all my elk and deer but boil them first, are you doing it with a raw head?
Yeah, we were.

Just getting into this game. This spring was the first season for me and it definantly wont be my last. Congras on the bog boy.

Shoot me a PM. My brother has a beetle colony and does skulls. Boiling is a bad idea if its that close to making book, I wouldnt take the chance if it was mine.

Guy

I got a phone call tonight asking me to look at this thread. 1st off, great bear, congrats. 2nd hold the horses on your plans. You want the skull either bugged or macerated.

Definitely don't boil it. I did more euro's last year than most will see in a lifetime. Boiling ruins more skulls than you can count. At best you do it right and you end up with a forever yellow skull that you'll never get the grease out of. The heat sets in stains and short of a can of spray paint it will never be white.

You also run the risk, the really good risk, of it just falling apart in the pan. If you use sal-soda or similar to help with the tissue and aren't mindful of the heat, constantly, you'll end up with bone chips.

Boiling and bleach is the best way to end up with a pile of white powder that I know of.

So what I'm saying, don't boil it.

Power washing also has a habit of blowing a skull into pieces. Bad enough when it's your 5th deer of the season, probably a nightmare in your situation.

If you want to do it yourself send me a PM, I'll send you an instruction book on how to finish once the flesh is gone. You can go 100% on your own and get good safe results, you can have someone just bug it and get good safe results, or you can have someone do the full job.

Lastly you need to slow down and expect a whole lot of patience required from this point on. Bear are greasy animals, it can take months to fully degrease so you'll have a nice and permanently white trophy. Deer can take a couple weeks, or a couple months. Each skull is different and trying to speed things up just leads to a bad trophy.

Bears and pigs are much worse on the amount time they'll require to be fully done. But if you're patient you'll be very happy.

No reason not to wait until all the measuring is done before you deal with the skull if that's allowable by B&C.

Misc. skull pics
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/NdIndy/Skull%20Works/unused/

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/NdIndy/Skull%20Works/

Actually, anyone can PM me their email address and I'll send the instructions out. I wrote it myself, so it's the best
laugh.gif
I'm only doing bugs this year, all my equipment is broken down for a remodel, so it's bugs and instructions for everyone. But I'm only charging $25-$35 so I don't feel too bad
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NdIndyI got a phone call tonight asking me to look at this thread. 1st off, great bear, congrats. 2nd hold the horses on your plans. You want the skull either bugged or macerated.

Definitely don't boil it. I did more euro's last year than most will see in a lifetime. Boiling ruins more skulls than you can count. At best you do it right and you end up with a forever yellow skull that you'll never get the grease out of. The heat sets in stains and short of a can of spray paint it will never be white.

You also run the risk, the really good risk, of it just falling apart in the pan. If you use sal-soda or similar to help with the tissue and aren't mindful of the heat, constantly, you'll end up with bone chips.

Boiling and bleach is the best way to end up with a pile of white powder that I know of.

So what I'm saying, don't boil it.

Power washing also has a habit of blowing a skull into pieces. Bad enough when it's your 5th deer of the season, probably a nightmare in your situation.

If you want to do it yourself send me a PM, I'll send you an instruction book on how to finish once the flesh is gone. You can go 100% on your own and get good safe results, you can have someone just bug it and get good safe results, or you can have someone do the full job.

Lastly you need to slow down and expect a whole lot of patience required from this point on. Bear are greasy animals, it can take months to fully degrease so you'll have a nice and permanently white trophy. Deer can take a couple weeks, or a couple months. Each skull is different and trying to speed things up just leads to a bad trophy.

Bears and pigs are much worse on the amount time they'll require to be fully done. But if you're patient you'll be very happy.

No reason not to wait until all the measuring is done before you deal with the skull if that's allowable by B&C.

Misc. skull pics
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/NdIndy/Skull%20Works/unused/

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/NdIndy/Skull%20Works/

Actually, anyone can PM me their email address and I'll send the instructions out. I'm only doing bugs this year, all my equipment is broken down for a remodel, so it's bugs and instructions for everyone. But I'm only charging $25-$35 so I don't feel too bad
laugh.gif

best advice!

guywildstorm and NdIndy I sent you guys a PM

thanks again

Yotes2call you can say that again, I know some people don't trully get what that crazy book means and maybe I should just let it go and focus on more important things in life, But I want my name in there dagnabit

SWH that smile on your face reminds of the cat that swallowed the canary.

Beautiful animal, congratulations!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coloradobobSWH that smile on your face reminds of the cat that swallowed the canary.

Beautiful animal, congratulations!

My wife was mad said "you don't smile like that for family photos" I had no responce for her

I take it you really like colorado or you are from colorado?

Yours or hers? Wait, don't answer that.
Flowers and a new rifle might help. On second thought I'd just go with the flowers.

Nice bear my friend, very nice.

I was to late the boiling is already done, I will just have to wait and see what happened and it is what it is. will know more on monday when we get a new score for it, then have to wait the 60 days.

Back