FMJ laws in utah?

skunx123

Are their any laws that say you cant use FMJ while coyote hunting in utah? I looked in the proclamation but cant find anything on it.

Originally Posted By: skunx123Are their any laws that say you cant use FMJ while coyote hunting in utah? I looked in the proclamation but cant find anything on it.

Can I ask why you would want to use a FMJ to coyote hunt with? They are not made to hunt with and probably will not kill 99% of the time....

Chad

Utah has no bullet or caliber restrictions that I am aware of for coyotes. With that said, there are many good bullet choices for taking coyotes, but FMJs are not one of them.

They are not illegal but are a bad choice for bullets. Just wounding an animal does not give sportsman a good image. If you are going to hunt, use a bullet that will do the job. The FMJ bullets ricochet a lot also.

thanks guys. i hunt dogs with a 30-06 and fur damage is a big deal even with the 100 grain. So i was thinking using FMJ to put a smaller hole in em. you say it wont put a dog down?

A 30.06, regardless of the bullet used would not likely be considered "fur friendly". FMJs are non-expanding, therefore they typically pierce a small wound channel through the animal, causing questionable damage and blood trails. Like Jack said above, if you use them you will get all the tracking practice you could want, and even so would fail to recover many shot animals. Simply put, FMJs were not designed for the job you are considering them for, regardless of caliber or bullet weight. As was mentioned earlier, the animal deserves better than to escape and endure a slow and painful death. For not much more money than FMJs cost, you can find factory ammunition that employs bullets that are constructed to ensure quick, humane kills. In your search, you might even find a factory load that is more fur friendly than what you are presently using. If you handload, your options are far broader. If you are serious about saving fur, you may want to opt for a lighter caliber rifle altogether. Any of the .22 to .24 caliber centerfires are very effective on coyotes, and with the right load are fur friendly.

Originally Posted By: wilydawgA 30.06, regardless of the bullet used would not likely be considered "fur friendly". FMJs are non-expanding, therefore they typically pierce a small wound channel through the animal, causing questionable damage and blood trails. Like Jack said above, if you use them you will get all the tracking practice you could want, and even so would fail to recover many shot animals. Simply put, FMJs were not designed for the job you are considering them for, regardless of caliber or bullet weight. As was mentioned earlier, the animal deserves better than to escape and endure a slow and painful death. For not much more money than FMJs cost, you can find factory ammunition that employs bullets that are constructed to ensure quick, humane kills. In your search, you might even find a factory load that is more fur friendly than what you are presently using. If you handload, your options are far broader. If you are serious about saving fur, you may want to opt for a lighter caliber rifle altogether. Any of the .22 to .24 caliber centerfires are very effective on coyotes, and with the right load are fur friendly.

Good post!!! I shoot a .223 and I handload Hornady 60 grain SP's down to around 2800 to 2900fps...I find this to be a very fur friendly load.....Good luck and welcome to PM...

Chad

thanks once again. i i have a 243 i can use. any tips on fur friendly bullets? I can hand load just have not used my gear ten years or so.

All good points and here is one other that seldom gets mentioned - you can have some hellish wounds from a FMJ that tumbles. Hit a coyote at an angle on the shoulder with a FMJ and if the bullet tumbles and yaws (more likely than not) it will look like you tried to fillet the coyote with a chainsaw. The FMJ is a good idea in theory that just doesn't work out too well in actual practice.

Another FMJ
rolleyes.gif

Sell the .243 and get something smaller. That should help with the fur damage.
thumbup.gif
Call them in close enough and buy the fastest and lightest bullet you can. Then hopefully the bullet will be all the way through them before it has a chance to expand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dmpowder Another FMJ
rolleyes.gif

thumbup.gif
Call them in close enough and buy the fastest and lightest bullet you can. Then hopefully the bullet will be all the way through them before it has a chance to expand.

Fastest isnt always the most accurate. Ligthtest isnt always best either. As for the expansion, I want my bullets to fragment inside the coyote and take out every organ it can. If the expansion is done after it exits you have no damage to organs and get the same effect as shooting FMJ bullets. You will be doing a lot of tracking.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: dmpowder Another FMJ
rolleyes.gif

thumbup.gif

Fastest isnt always the most accurate. Ligthtest isnt always best either. As for the expansion, I want my bullets to fragment inside the coyote and take out every organ it can. If the expansion is done after it exits you have no damage to organs and get the same effect as shooting FMJ bullets. You will be doing a lot of tracking.

Soooo true and that is why you don't hunt with FMJ's! That is why FMJ should ONLY be shot at paper! But hey if you guys could tell me a good bullet for a 50 cal. BMG that is fur friendly I would really like to use one for yotes and foxes!
rolleyes.gif

The point is if he is wanting to save the hides then he should be looking to buy a more fur friendly rifle!

i just talked to my buddy who would be willing to sell me a 220 swift savage model 112v anyone know much about this gun? is it a good coyote gun?

It has been a while since I've reloaded anything for my .243 but when I did I was loading a light bullet(70-85 gr) in SPBT as I could and have had good results on the coyotes I've shot with it.A lot of fur friendliness is due to shot placment,most my exit wounds were quarter size or smaller,frontal shots rarely exited.

I don't think you could go wrong with a 220 Swift(my favorite cal.
thumbup.gif
)great round for coyotes.The only time I break out my .243 is if it gets a bit windy here in West Texas and I want a little bit heaver bullet to help buck the wind.I think if you go with a Swift you will soon come to realize there is none better
ohmy.gif
.Oh did I say That my favorite round is a 220 swift.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Back