how big are the deers kill zone vitals?

For a perfect broadside shot the vitals could be a 16" diameter circle depending on the size of the deer. But the size of the deer and the angle of the deer changes the vitals size and position. Id recommend looking up some diagrams of deers vitals at different angles. If you can hit a orange or say a 4-5inch circle at your max shooting distance then you should have no problem taking a kill shot on a deer.

Hope this helps

~Bryan

I agree with Bryan. Study some pictures of vitals. Learn where to shoot at different angles. At 13 ft high and the shot being more than 10 yards your angle is fine for a double lung shot. I have friends who hang their stands 25 -30 ft high, and at that height with a deer that close it can a tricky shot. As long as you hang Your stand with good cover and the wind inyour favor your fine at 13 ft I personally hang mine at 12-15 ft max, sometimes the tree will dictate the height.

well hey thanks guys this helps a lot. i am currently maxed shooting my bow to about 20 yards, i hope come later in the year i will be pushing 30!

At 40 lbs I would keep my shot to 20 yards or less, kinetic energy and the possibility of a deer jumping the string are factors to keep in mind

Mark2

im pulling 61 lbs right now and i believe my bow is about 257 fps at this weight! this is my first actual year and it too me a while to nail 20 yards lol!

61 lbs. Thats plenty for sure, for some reason i thought you said 40 sorry. I shoot a 52 lb recurve, I have shot most of my deer at 15 yards or less, even when I shot a compound 20 years ago, my max kill shot was maybe 25. Good luck, 20 yards is fine, its all in the setup.

Mark2

Use rubber gloves and boots, use the same scent control ethics you would use like your were hunting. Good luck. The best time of the year is upon us. My days of hunting from tree stands are over, Im using a ground blind for now. Good luck be safe, always use a safety harness.

Mark2

Sorry about the 40 lb confusion. I was confusing this post with another one where a guy was shooting a 40lb bow.

Mark2

Originally Posted By: Mark2Sorry about the 40 lb confusion. I was confusing this post with another one where a guy was shooting a 40lb bow.

Mark2

haha dont worry about that! if i could get away with the shots im looking for i would downsize to 40 lbs! i mean who doesnt want less weight
smile.gif

i had a old golden eagle that i swore was at 70 lbs! i took it to the archery shop and they said it was 47 lbs no let off lol

Back