AR cleaning with Wipe Out Foam bore cleaner

DAB

I was checking out Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner and came across this interesting tid bit. ((( It will dissolve brass, bronze, aluminum, and copper.)))
This was copied and pasted from the info that was on Midways sight that listed what it would do.

My Question is HOW SAFE would it be for cleaning an AR when it will dissolve aluminum?

I know it will not hurt the barrel.

But what if you get some on the aluminum parts by accident?

DAB

Last edited:
If you inject the Wipeout through a proper fitting bore guide with an o-ring seal, you should not get any on the aluminum receiver.

I often use wipeout on mine and it works great. I was more concerned w/leaving some residue in the gas tube, but resolve that issue by blowing air through tube into barrel before patching the barrel.

Regards,
hm

I've filled my AR bore with it multiple times without really worrying if it got on the receiver or not.
I don't use any O-ring bore guide, I shoot it from both ends till it's boiling out and set the upper flat and leave it.

The receiver is still black and looks the same as the rest of the rifle, all the way around the barrel extension. As far as I can tell, it's done nothing to the anodized 7075.

I can do a test, though. I've got a block of 7075 sitting here, and Wipe-Out. I'll put a puddle on there and let it sit.

How many hours is a fair test?
This is raw 7075, no anodizing. That may make a huge difference.

7075 contains 1.2 to 2 % copper content, 6061 is .15 to .4% (by weight). That's likely what is being "dissolved".

edit: 1:30 PM 9-11-10

Fly-cut raw 6061:

DSCN0474.jpg

raw 7075:

DSCN0475.jpg

Wipe out applied:

DSCN0476.jpg

Last edited:
Evil, While your testing, why don't you put a puddle on some copper too? An ordinary penny should work? Or maybe even a copper jacketed bullet.

Heck, try it on some brass while you're at it also.

I say about 8 hours for time. I'll usually leave it in the bore of a rifle about that long. Sometimes 24hrs though.
smile.gif

Quote:Evil, While your testing, why don't you put a puddle on some copper too? An ordinary penny should work? Or maybe even a copper jacketed bullet.

Heck, try it on some brass while you're at it also.

You're late to the party, brother!
I'll do that as a second run, though, no problem.

Here's an update after 4.5 hours (the foam was gone and no sign of activity).

Both, wet:
DSCN0477.jpg

7075, wiped with cloth:

DSCN0478.jpg

6061, wiped with cloth:

DSCN0480.jpg

Foamed them both up again:

DSCN0483.jpg

I see discoloration on the 7075, that's interesting.
6061, nada.

Dang, by now I figured that nasty old Wipe Out woulda ate a hole plumb through those blocks of aluminum. NOT... That's about the results I was expecting.

I'm thinking you won't see much of an effect on copper or brass either.

Quote:I'm thinking you won't see much of an effect on copper or brass either.

I'm thinking it will turn them blue. I see blue foam out the barrel when I clean, and it happens quick.

I'll run an old 95% copper penny and a new plated one.

We'll see.
wink.gif

Last edited:
WOW, ask and yea shall receive.

Thanks to E_L we are going to find out.

I myself use bore guides on every thing but my 10/22 Lr an Mag.

I believe if it was a real big deal the folks that make Wipe Out would have a special warning for AR shooters.

I have heard great things about Wipe Out and plan on getting some for my use.

My AR ( RRA PP)must have one heck of a smooth barrel on the inside as it does not foul with copper as my bolt guns do.

I can clean it in less than 15 Min. even after close to 100 rounds down the tube between cleanings.

Thanks ya _ all for responding.

DAB

Quote:My AR ( RRA PP)must have one heck of a smooth barrel on the inside as it does not foul with copper as my bolt guns do.

I can clean it in less than 15 Min. even after close to 100 rounds down the tube between cleanings.

My D-Tech Oly SUM barrel is like that. I saw quite a bit of copper when I was doing the break-in and cleaning it with Sweet's between every shot, for the first 3 shots.
Then it fell right off to almost zero, and it still doesn't copper foul. Barely any, it's the easiest barrel to clean I've ever had. It's broach cut, it must have left one heck of a nice finish.

It actually grabs less copper than my H-K polygonal barrel, which doesn't even have any sharp edges.

Last edited:
I have some Gunslick foam cleaner that says on the can not to use it on a gas operated rifle. I have never tried it on my AR's, but do always use Wipeout on them and have never had an issue. I run a few seconds worth of Shooters Choice Quick Scrub down the gas tube though before my final dry patch. Will be interesting to see how Evil's tests turn out.

doggin coyotes said:
Dang, by now I figured that nasty old Wipe Out woulda ate a hole plumb through those blocks of aluminum. Yes like the stuff that leaked outta that critter in the first Alien Movie (ate through several floors of the ship remember?)LOL..cool test though EL, I never tried the wipe out just because I thought it would be a sloppy mess.Now I`m pretty set with method I have now, and EL I agree that Hoppes #9 solvent dont work on removing the copper but Hoppes also has a #9 Bench Rest COPPER SOLVENT that does work better and I dont worry about leaving the barrel wet with it overnight.I have a friend that swears by the wipeout but he`s a bolt gun guy.Maybe I`ll give it a try.

Okay, 8 hours.

Both wet:

DSCN0485.jpg

6061 wiped dry:

DSCN0486.jpg

7075 wiped dry:

DSCN0487.jpg

It's having some kind of effect, no doubt. I'll continue tomorrow.

This is exciting!
thumbup.gif

Quote:I have some Gunslick foam cleaner that says on the can not to use it on a gas operated rifle.

That's because it dissolves all that crud and forces it into the gas block as it expands. On something like an M1, BAR, etc. that's about impossible to get cleaned back out without a major teardown.

On an AR you can just blow into the end of the gas tube and flush it right back out. I use brake cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker Quote:I have some Gunslick foam cleaner that says on the can not to use it on a gas operated rifle.

On an AR you can just blow into the end of the gas tube and flush it right back out. I use brake cleaner.

That is exactly what I do also. Little brake cleaner then compressed air. Never had any problems.

End of 24 hours:

6061 wiped dry:

DSCN0488.jpg

7075 wiped dry:

DSCN0489.jpg

There is some discoloration on both of them. It's light gold/copper colored. Looking at it with a magnifier, I see no pitting, more like a water spot.

It says on the can it contains alcohol, I'll try straight alcohol on it next and see if it leaves a residue.

Now check this out:

Old penny (95% copper, 5% zinc) and new penny (97.5% zinc core, 2.5% copper plating)

DSCN0490.jpg

Foamed:

DSCN0491.jpg

10 minutes later:

DSCN0492.jpg

w00t.gif

It does NOT like copper. I'll let the foam die down, then take another pic.

Back