John Wick???

Chad Walk

Ive been out of the hound buisness for a few years and was trying to go on Wick's website yesterday...Did he go out of buisness? I used to get his catalogs also and dont think I have got one for a couple of years now that I think about it....Just wondering, thanks...

Chad

They are out of business. Personally I am glad.

I met Mr Wick at Walker Days about 15 years ago and he was a super nice guy. I just didnt like the way the asked people to carry their products then ran them down in their catalogue.

Valley Creek Hunting Supply,Redgy Ramsey is who I use now.
He will stand behind everything 100%

I was just wondering...Ive hunted with John a couple times but that was about 10 years ago...I have a pair of chaps that they made for me and when I found them in the closet yesterday it got me to thinking about him...Thanks okie...

Chad

Thanks for the Valley Creek plug guys...I might get back into hounds once I get settled in out in New Mexico...You know how it is when you are born with hound in your blood...Its always there! You might take a break from it but you never stop thinking about it...Id like to get into some cougers once I get out there...
wink.gif

Chad

I read Call of the Hounds by Dale Cameron There were so many great stories about cougar hunting.Hats off to the hounds and the men that hunt Lions.

I wish we had more cougar around here.I have seen one and thats one more than most have seen.

Last edited:
Yea Ive always hunted Walkers, mostly Sackett,Clover,Yadkin Tar Rattler, and on and on and on etc, but I tell you right now those Cameron Blueticks have blood good enough to drink...As long as they have grit, I dont care what color they are...Okie cant really tell in your avatar but is that an English or a Red Tick? Good looking hound!

Chad

She is a bluetick.She was a Ormiston bred female.I pretty much only hunt Rambo bred hounds anymore.They are very fast on the ground and darn accurate tree dogs.

I hunted Walkers for years but got tired of treeing empties.
I know that can be said of all breeds,but I think more so with Walkers.I used to have Log Chain Leroy and I couldnt beat that rascal off of slicks.

That being said,I have sure been beat by alot of Walkers.My friend has Clover bred hounds and I kinda like them.

Sorry I couldnt tell, your avatar sort of looked like it had a reddish tint to it....Yea the best dog I had was Sackett on top and Clover on the bottom...I my be wrong but I think alot of that Walker bred stuff now is for competition hunting and in my opinion thats what people are getting nowadays is slick treeing dogs...I think I hunted maybe 3 competitions in my life and that was enough for me...Oh yea Rambo hounds! Top notch from what I hear...Do you do any breeding? If so I might be interested...

Chad

I did(see the thread "my hounds.")but my old dog got killed last month.

I do have a son of his here now that I am going to finish out.He is very fast and was real accurate as a pup.Trailing has been tough lately and he has been getting a few slicks I think.When the leaves fall off I will find out.
I plan on breeding him to a young female I have if she pans out this winter.She is well bred but I don't know yet.If shes not a nice hound I wont breed them.If I do,Ill give you one.

I agree with you on the Walkers.They just bred too much tree in some lines because of the hunts.

Here are a couple of Walkers I owned in the 80's.They treed me alot of coon.

This is at a World Hunt in Illinois(1989)
I am on the left,Timothy Ball in the middle,James Merchant on the right. This dog was Gator and Chief bred.
untitled-4.jpg

This picture was in 1986.Bell was Finley River bred and tough as nails.She paid for herself every winter.
jj.jpg

Great pics! Looks like you've been in the limelite a little, rubbing elbows with ole Timothy Ball...
grin.gif
I hope your gyp turns out because like I said I would be more than happy to take a pup off your hands...Ill keep an eye out here in the hound section and see how you are coming along....That Finley River blood is what my uncle used to breed and that Chief dog you can always tell with that ole big red cherry head...I had a Chief bred dog that I used to run bear with and he had so much grit that it cost him his life, bear killed him...He was a hellava hound....Thanks for your time...

I looked back on some of your post and I like the looks of them blue dogs you have...Thats the way a blue dog should look, not like most Ive seen around here with all that white mixed in....

Chad

Ball and Merchant are the "big boys" I guess lol I was just a farm kid with a pretty good hound. I drew Ball in the hunt and beat his Wildman Willie on a call that we took back to the Master of Hounds.Talk about a mad preacher ; )

Ill keep you posted.

Last edited:
Chad I run Ball's stuff here. I have the old Bozo stuff,I own one of the closest bred dogs to old Bozo. that is still alive.

Originally Posted By: cfishmanI run blue dogs with alot of smokey river blood, mostly Rambo also. Just got a pup out of Bodacious = Rambo line.

I hear Bo is super nice.Jim Ballard owns part of him I think. He has quite a bit of Smokey River in him too.

Wasnt Bo the world champion bluetick(UKC)in 2008?

Originally Posted By: Devin69Chad I run Ball's stuff here. I have the old Bozo stuff,I own one of the closest bred dogs to old Bozo. that is still alive.

Devin I been checking out your old posts...You've definitely got some good stuff going there! You dont see that blood at all around here anymore...Dang you guys are killing me!
thumbup.gif

Chad

Chad,

I just got home from work and the Queen female(she runs loose) was treed down by a pond.The young female was blowing the top out.Had ole'Ring too. Shes never seen a coon as I was just getting ready to start her. I am thinking she must have trotted down there to get a drink and suprised Mr Racoon.

Back