Vortex Viper Scope Review

Ursus21

Hopefully the moderaters here will be okay with this. I was asked to do a Vortex scope review by another site a while back. It took a while, but the site has finally posted the review. I know quite a few members here at predatormasters have had an interest in Vortex scopes and I promised to provide a link once my review became available. So as to keep that promise here is the link:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/vortex-viper-4-12x40-scope-review-1.php

I hope it will help some of you in your decision of whether or not to try out a Vortex Viper.

Good read and something to consider
wink.gif

Thank you
Mike

I just did a box test on a Crossfire 4x12x40 with target turrets this evening. I've had the scope for a couple months and have been impressed with the quality of the glass but now that I've finished developing loads for the gun its on I wanted to see how consistent the tracking was and how close to moa the clicks were. All things being equal I wasn't expecting a whole lot from a 150$ scope but I was kind of surprised. The tracking was very consistent from one end of the range to the other and zero was always repeatable, however I came to discover that the clicks aren't quite 1/4 moa as marked. I'm not quite sure exactly how much they are off at this time but I plan to do further testing to find out. All in all I cant say I'm disappointed with the scope in the least bit for less than 150$. In fact I'm quite impressed with the quality and brightness of the glass and the consistency of the tracking. It certainly blows away any other scope in that price range I've tried and many others costing considerably more.

*edit* I, like you, have always preferred higher end optics such as leopold and Nikon, but I can say without a doubt the next higher end scope I buy will be in the viper line and when I need another in the lower end of the spectrum I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Crossfire, in fact if I'm gonna buy another scope in that price range I wouldn't buy anything but a vortexx simply because I've yet to find glass that compares at that price. I think many people overlook the brand simply because of the saying "you get what you pay for" and I would have done the same thing had I not been in tight spot for money at the time. I think this brand is one of the extremely rare instances where that saying doesn't always apply.

Last edited:
I have a Vortex 4X12 Diamondback that I bought last January. I have 2 scopes that I use for this rifle-a summer scope and a winter scope- the Vortex being the winter scope. I bought the Vortex to replace another winter scope which I concluded to be a POS if you know what I mean. I only used this scope for a short while and so far am happy with it. It's going back on my 204 next week and then I'll give it a good range workout. The gun dealers are really hyping them around here. So far I like them too. Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DDJI have 2 scopes that I use for this rifle-a summer scope and a winter scope- the Vortex being the winter scope. Dave

Why? Just curious.

I have a 6-24 fine cross hair scope that I use at my local club for summer fooling around and load developement on a CZ 527 American. Its really too much of a scope for the coyote hunding I do. The gun is light and I want a light scope to go with it for hunting. I don't mind swapping scopes. Gives me a chance to go back to the range to sight in again and shoot some more. Dave

I have been holding off for a while on the vortex scopes. Because I want to mount it on my CZ 527. Problem is bolt clearance. I wasn't sure it would fit. So now I think I will buy the crossfire 2-7 I had my eye on.

DDJ, Thanks for that post. Saves me the headache of trying to figure out if it will fit. Could you get a diameter measurement of the eye piece?

Thanks,
Adam

Originally Posted By: huntnfish08I have been holding off for a while on the vortex scopes. Because I want to mount it on my CZ 527. Problem is bolt clearance. I wasn't sure it would fit. So now I think I will buy the crossfire 2-7 I had my eye on.

DDJ, Thanks for that post. Saves me the headache of trying to figure out if it will fit. Could you get a diameter measurement of the eye piece?

Thanks,
Adam

The eyepiece on my 4-12 Diamond back measures 1.68". I was also concerned about bolt clearance but it isn't a problem if you use the CZ rings. Dave

Just an update on my Vortex Diamond Back. I've mounted it back on my CZ 204 and went to the gun club late this afternoon to sight it in. So far I'm pleased. The POI didn't seem to noticeably shift from 4 to 12 power. I'm using this rifle/scope combination for coyote hunting. Its seems to be a good hunting type of a scope. The elevation click values seemed to be dead on. The click value on this scope is 4 clicks to an inch at 100 yds. The windage clicks seemed to be somewhat strong-about 3 clicks to an inch. It did that on every group I shot. I was using loads with 34 grain Dogtowns and my coyote loads with 35 Bergers. I only shot 3 shot groups but all of the Berger groups could be covered with a dime. Not too bad for a fat crosshaired hunting scope. Here's a couple of pics
100_2757.jpg

And then 2 clicks down and 3 to the right brought this group. 3 clicks to an inch on windage. Did it every time.

100_2758.jpg

But since its not a target or tactical scope that doesn't really bother me. It will do what I want it to do. Dave

I also have an update on my Vortex Crossfire 4x12x40. As nice as the scope is I discovered a problem with it today which will warrant a return to vortex. It seems after I mounted it on my 308 it doesn't like recoil much. While shooting some groups I noticed vertical stringing which was odd because this particular gone never exhibited this trait before. After taking the elevation turret cap off and making a note of what number the turret was on(its the model with target turrets) I continued to shoot some groups. After a 3 shot group that hit a lot higher than previous groups I noticed that the elevation had moved 4 clicks. Subsequent shots lead to the same result, the turret moving one click each shot, sometimes more. I've read over vortex's warranty and it seems pretty good. I'm shipping it out tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I know this is a thread about the viper model and I don't mean to hi-jack it but I figure it's usefull info for those looking at the brand.I'll update when I get that scope back and due further testing.

I have two viper scopes and binocs also and love all three of them!! The scope held its zero after a pretty good fall I took. I was impressed

Evan

Originally Posted By: Bucksquirrely I also have an update on my Vortex Crossfire 4x12x40. As nice as the scope is I discovered a problem with it today which will warrant a return to vortex. It seems after I mounted it on my 308 it doesn't like recoil much. While shooting some groups I noticed vertical stringing which was odd because this particular gone never exhibited this trait before. After taking the elevation turret cap off and making a note of what number the turret was on(its the model with target turrets) I continued to shoot some groups. After a 3 shot group that hit a lot higher than previous groups I noticed that the elevation had moved 4 clicks. Subsequent shots lead to the same result, the turret moving one click each shot, sometimes more. I've read over vortex's warranty and it seems pretty good. I'm shipping it out tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I know this is a thread about the viper model and I don't mean to hi-jack it but I figure it's usefull info for those looking at the brand.I'll update when I get that scope back and due further testing.

Just curious, this problem get resolved with the Vortex VIP warranty?

[/quote]Just curious, this problem get resolved with the Vortex VIP warranty? [/quote]

Sorry, I don't stop over here as much as I used to, but yes I got the problem resolved. Vortex customer service was top notch. They ended up offering to upgrade me to a Viper 6.5-20x44 for a couple bucks extra which I of course jumped on. The clarity in the glass is very good and I've yet to have a problem with the target turrets after about 400 rounds. I did end buying another Crossfire of the same model at a later date mainly because I got a smoking good deal on it and figured if I did end up having problems with it I just might end up with another Viper for a small sum
smile.gif
but I did not have any problems with it in the short time I had it. I just ended up buying another Viper because I liked the one I had so much and sold the Crossfire. All in all I was VERY pleased with the way Vortex handled everything and will continue to buy their scopes, even though I went through a fair bit of trouble with the first ones I had. That being said I will generally avoid most scopes in the crossfire line.

*edit. Sorry I forgot to add this. After I got the 4-12 back I ended up having the same problem so I sent it back and they upgraded me to a 6-24x50? I think? and had the same problem. After that one went back they upgraded it to a 8-32x50 I believe. I also had the same problems with that one at which point they offered to upgrade me to the viper and I've been happy since. All in all I think I went through 4 scopes before I ended up with the viper.

Last edited:
Quote:*edit. Sorry I forgot to add this. After I got the 4-12 back I ended up having the same problem so I sent it back and they upgraded me to a 6-24x50? I think? and had the same problem. After that one went back they upgraded it to a 8-32x50 I believe. I also had the same problems with that one at which point they offered to upgrade me to the viper and I've been happy since. All in all I think I went through 4 scopes before I ended up with the viper.

I read this and a few other problems that have been posted about these scopes and have to wonder................

Why would anyone spend their hard earned money on crap like this. Ever wonder why they offer the up-grade instead of repair? Because they replace them for a lot less than they can hire someone to work on them. Thats if they could get the parts from china or where ever these things come from. The extra upgrade money you give them probably covers the entire cost of the new scope and shipping to you and maybe even some profit. Whats even more amazing is your willingness to buy more of them after having to send back 4 of them. Just curious, did they pay for return postage or did you have to spend the money on shipping? thats gotta be at least 60 bucks to ship 4 scopes back?

While there have indeed been issues with the Crossfire series, the Viper series has been extremely good. I have read very little about them other than good reports and the three that I presently own are excellent.

I do wish that they would simply drop the Crossfire series all together as it seems to not be as good as their other scopes and certainly has given many a bad taste. Their willingness to address the issues has been fantastic though and stepping these unfortunate folks up to a Viper for very little money is a super deal for the trouble IMO. It does not change the fact that the Crossfire scopes have been problematic though.

Odd I have 2 crossfires a 4x12 on my 30-06 which has considerably more recoil than a 308 and a 3x9 on my AR. both of them have been great and dead on I took the 4x12 on a 7 day moose hunt where it got straight abused attached to the 4 wheeler and on day 6 it took a bull moose at just over 250 yards. I have also taken a wolf with my AR which has a crossfire on it at about 100 yards. So I have had none of the issued mentioned with my crossfires.

That is good to hear that people are having good luck with their Crossfires. It seems the only ones that I ever see with issues from owners are the Crossfires. I have two friends that both have had issues with the reticle starting to turn (cant) after short periods of time. Vortex replaced them and moved them into Viper's for a very minimal fee. These were both on heavier recoil rigs though. No issues since.

Back