22-250 Pet Loads

I've had good luck with Varget powder and 52 grain Berger Varmints, 55 grain Sierra Gamekings (1365), and Nosler 60 grain Ballistic tips. They've all shot really well after a bit load development.

For years I shot 35.5gr of IMR 4895 and 53gr Hornady match
bullets. I thought there could be no better load for my
22-250 of that time.
A fellow rifle nut told me to try Hogdon H-380 at 37.5
to 39.5 grains and Seirra #1365 55gr GameKing spitzer
so I did....... that load when refined to my rifle touches
all bullets in little clusters.
I have never tried another powder in a 22-250 since. Bullets
and weight of powder may change from rifle to rifle but
H-380 gets it done.
My current 22-250 uses 40.5gr (very HOT use only with caution)
and the 52gr A-Max to make ragged little holes in paper and puts
yotes down with authority when it barks.

Pic of a group a few years back w/ load data
5478124006_large.jpg

Last edited:
I have owned five 22-250's, and all five loved Winchester brass, Federal 210 GM primers, 55 grain Ballistic Tips, and 39.0 grains of W-760. That clocks about 3550 out of a 26" barrel. It burns clean and cases last forever. I like how ball powder meters when I sit down to load a few hundred rounds. I won't talk about group sizes, as we shooters tend to be a skeptical lot (and rightly so, considering the stories a guy hears). Let's just say that I was willing to spend some money on components to get the load I wanted. I spent some money, but I got my load, and she's a beauty. I will admit that this is a very old school load, and I have heard nothing but praise for Varget. 22-250's are not known to be finicky, so you shouldn't have to sit at the bench too long to get something you like. Good luck

Back