RCBS UniFlow Powder Measure

Tap or not to tap when throwing charges.

It will work either way but to get it to throw the same each time you have to do it the same each time you throw a charge.

I tap when using extruded powders but not on spherical powders.

Make sure you get the baffle for the hopper it will make it throw charges more accurately. The baffle controls the weight of the powder column.

DAB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: josebdso when on the down stroke tap the handle towards the floor,and up on the handle going up? i just need to be clear exactly where to tap
You do not do any tapping. The only tapping is when the moving parts hit the top of the stroke and the bottom.

Jack

on midway website it says that the micrometer screws depend on the size of the cylinder?11/16 for the large screw and 1/2 for the small,i ordered the small micrometer screw for my uniflow powder charger,will this fit?

Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker Quote:so when on the down stroke tap the handle towards the floor,and up on the handle going up? i just need to be clear exactly where to tap

The end of the slot in the housing. Just back off a bit and tap the end of the travel again.

As soon as you actually try it, it will be obvious.

I use that technique. Once the powder is settled in the hopper (I throw about 30 charges back into the can, refill the hopper, then start weighing/adjusting), that powder dispenser will throw within .1 gr. using the "double tap" technique, and I've never bridged the drop tube.

thumbup1.gif

+1

Not really needed with ball powder in my experience, but for stick type powder it is a must. You need to operate the handle exactly the same every time, and confirm the charge with a scale. If you tap harder, more times, etc. you will get a different weight every time. Do it the same and you might not need a powder trickler.

You have to pull out the piece that adjusts the powder charge and measure the diameter of the head. Not sure which one they come with now.

Quote:eek:n midway website it says that the micrometer screws depend on the size of the cylinder?11/16 for the large screw and 1/2 for the small,i ordered the small micrometer screw for my uniflow powder charger,will this fit?

They come as a matched set. To switch over from large to small, you need the small rotor and the small piston.

I bought mine when it was a "full meal deal", so I have a large rotor and piston, and a small rotor and piston.

So yes, you need to order both. The small one you ordered will fit the small/pistol rotor ONLY.

Quote:You do not do any tapping.

You may not, but I do. My throw weight became more consistent when I started doing it that way, too.

I tap once on each end, whether it's extruded or ball, just so I keep things the same.

I throw a lot of my loads into the pan and trickle to weight, and I can assure you it's a very accurate technique.

Evil, I started doing the tapping thing last week loading some 7 Mag rounds. The consistency improved drastically.
wink.gif

Quote:eek:k when i get it in i can throw charges with the factory screw right?

Yeah, it will come with a complete setup, either large or small. It will be usable.

go it in today,cleaned it up,set it up,and tried h4895,i think im gonna like it,it was fairly consistent,probably good for hunting but targer shooting ill check every charge,i heard the ball and spherical powders are more consistent,ill have to try them sometime

Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker Quote:You do not do any tapping.

You may not, but I do. My throw weight became more consistent when I started doing it that way, too.

I tap once on each end, whether it's extruded or ball, just so I keep things the same.

I throw a lot of my loads into the pan and trickle to weight, and I can assure you it's a very accurate technique.
That's what I was trying to say. One natural tap at both ends of the stroke, no more taps after that.

Jack

Back