AR Phobia from a Bolt Action Guy

Salmo22

My name is Jeff and I am an AR-Phobe.

I've never owned or even shot an AR type weapon. I think they look very sexy in an industrial/technical sort of way - kind of like a hot chick in leather. I also know they can be made to shoot very accurately. That being said, I've always had one major hang-up with AR's that kept me from actually getting one.

I am a fanatic about reloading. I spend considerable time making sure the ammo I produce is totally precise. I only shoot "store bought" ammo when I have no other choice. I will not own a weapon that I cannot reload for. It is not about saving money; it is about my addiction to precision loaded ammo. Accordingly, the idea of my meticulously prepared Lapua brass flying into the bushes or rocks is something I cannot abide. Not only would the brass be subject to damage, it could easily get lost.

Am I missing something (likely) or is lost/damaged brass simply a fact of life for AR shooters?

Please advise and offer correction as needed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I use a brass flap that I made from a bicycle inner tube...drops the brass right at my feet or on the table below the rifle. Brass life has been good in my AR's, I have a 6.8 that I am on the fourth round with the brass from SSA and I have gotten 15-17 loadings out of LC in 223. Watch out, I am a bolt guy too, but these things are addictive, and you can make them shoot really good.

I was to. But theN I bought one and I now have three of them. Two DTECH customs and a colt. I also reload. I am using a brass catcher to catch my brass. When I am hunting I don't worry about the brass though. I hope I don't have two shoot more than once unless more than one comes in.
Here is a target from my first range trip with my Dtech 204.
5d3ce35a.jpg

If you hunt with an AR, you'll lose some brass. Mine doesn't seem to damage it very often, but I have quite a few that never get found when they're shot at animals.

If I'm shooting off a bench, I find them all (as long as I have something to keep them from going into the brush).

You could always buy some Lake City and load them for hunting, and keep the Lapua for target shooting. It's doubtful you will be using the same bullet for both tasks anyway.

+1 on the rubber flap made from an inner tube...

DeflectorCut.jpg

It drops them in a nice pile at your feet or in a tray on a table....

Brass deflectors and Brass catchers are available or if you are handy come up with your own. Good things often come with a price, and a few lost pieces of brass is a small price for the enjoyment and versatility you might enjoy from shooting one. If you do get one and lose to much brass just put it on the classifieds for cheap and somebody will help you out. I think you will enjoy one if you get one.

my dad(headshot25-06) is the same way. i keep telling him he needs to try an ar, he says nope i like my bolt actions.
i like the fact that you can get quick follow up shots with an ar

I only use cheap Remington and Winchester brass. After I bought my first DPMS AR in .223 I bought 1,000 pieces of Win. brass for it plus I had 200 + 100 rounds of Remington UMC 45g & 50g jhp that I bought at the time of rifle purchase.Then I bought a .243 Win R25 then a DPMS LR .308 and bought 500 pieces each for them. I figure a lifetime supply (maybe).during the load developement process I am able to pick up all the brass from my yard.If I lose a few while hunting its worth it.With the .243 and .223 they are pretty accurate, the .308 is not there yet.Anyway I still get the satisfaction of making my own "tuned" ammo. I think anyone who enjoys shooting and firearms and reloading should give an AR a try, but then again I know someone who refuses to even consider it...sound like you might be there though?FWIW,I still break out the MOD. 70 30-06 for Deer Season.

Shot these from my Midway Special DPMS Frankenstien DIY first time project AR. I'm hooked. Bolt gun stays home most of the time.
w00t.gif

Factory ammo (Black Hills) group @ 200 yards:

GRP2A.jpg

Reloads (TAC Powder, Nosler Bullets) 5 shot group @ 200 yards:

target.jpg

Look up brass catchers for AR's. They will collect your spent brass.

Not to brag (yes, I'm bragging...
wink.gif
) I still have the lawyer proof DPMS LPK trigger/hammer group in the thing too. It's creepy, and about 5 pounds. Actually I think it helps me not "jerk" the trigger but concentrate on a slow steady pull until it goes 'bang'.

Of course even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while....
blush.gif

I got tired of the brass deflector putting dings in my brass so I put some sticky back foam (1/8") on it. When I target shoot I have a tarp I put down to catch the brass. I too shoot for accuracy and fun and my current batch of 400 reloads are on their fourth cycle. Have only had one split neck.

Jeff,

The intended use of the firearm will drive some of the answer.

If it will be a range gun and used to hunt some it won't be a problem for you to keep up with the brass.

If you get into some training classes or run and gun type of stuff then you will loose some brass. Part of the answer here is just to buy up some surplus stuff for these uses.

I load up some stuff for accuracy and hunting and I go to great lengths for perfection there, but I also load up a bunch of stuff on the auto progressive that is for run and gun, personal protection training, and competition (3 gun / multi-gun). I keep my nice brass for the precision stuff and I use all of my bulk stuff for the other. I don't use any sort of brass catcher either way.

If it really bothers you, you could also look into one of the piston driven systems that allows you to turn the gas off making the firearm function like a bolt action.

I pick up brass at the range all the time. Just love those folks that don't reload. As for my brass and my AR, I use a brass catcher and never lose any. When I hunt, a piece of brass for a yote is a prety good trade.

Back