Unfit For Command

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
Is the verdict from lots of people who served with sKerry.

Source

Kerry 'Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief,' Say Former Military Colleagues
By Marc Morano
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
May 03, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - Hundreds of former commanders and military colleagues of presumptive Democratic nominee John Kerry are set to declare in a signed letter that he is "unfit to be commander-in-chief." They will do so at a press conference in Washington on Tuesday.

"What is going to happen on Tuesday is an event that is really historical in dimension," John O'Neill, a Vietnam veteran who served in the Navy as a PCF (Patrol Craft Fast) boat commander, told CNSNews.com. The event, which is expected to draw about 25 of the letter-signers, is being organized by a newly formed group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

"We have 19 of 23 officers who served with [Kerry]. We have every commanding officer he ever had in Vietnam. They all signed a letter that says he is unfit to be commander-in-chief," O'Neill said.

O'Neill, currently a Houston, Texas, based attorney, is no stranger to Kerry. O'Neill served in the same naval unit as Kerry and commanded Kerry's swift boat after Kerry returned to the United States. Kerry's command of the PCF boat lasted four months and ended shortly after he received his third Purple Heart. According to naval regulations at the time, any sailor who received three Purple Hearts could request a transfer out of the combat zone.

Kerry and O'Neill engaged in a nationally televised debate in 1971 on The Dick Cavett Show over Kerry's allegations that many Vietnam soldiers had routinely engaged in atrocities such as raping and cutting off ears and heads of Vietnamese soldiers and citizens. Kerry was the then spokesman for the anti-war group Vietnam Veterans Against the War.

"We are going to be presenting a letter that deals with Kerry's unfitness to be commander and chief that has been signed by hundreds of swift boat sailors, including most of those who served with Kerry," O'Neill explained.

"The ranks of the people signing [the letter] range from admiral down to seaman, and they run across the entire spectrum of politics, specialties, and political feelings about the Vietnam War," he added.

Among those scheduled to attend the event at the National Press Club and declare Kerry unfit for the role of commander-in-chief are retired Naval Rear Admiral Roy Hoffman, who was the commander of the Navy Coastal Surveillance Force, which included the swift boats on which Kerry served.

Also scheduled to be present at the event is Kerry's former commanding officer, Lt. Commander Grant Hibbard. Hibbard recently questioned whether Kerry deserved the first of his three Purple Hearts that he received in Vietnam. Hibbard doubted both the severity of the wound and whether it resulted from enemy fire.

"I've had thorns from a rose that were worse" than Kerry's wound for which he received a Purple Heart, Hibbard told the Boston Globe in April.

Organizers are confident that Tuesday's event and the letter with hundreds of signatures will educate people about Kerry.

"It is one of the largest outpourings of concern about him being commander-in-chief that anybody could have in a presidential campaign and it is by the people who know him best," O'Neill said.

'Unfit Commander-in-Chief'

Swift Boat Veterans For Truth maintains that Kerry's fellow Vietnam veterans are almost uniform in their disdain for his military service and anti-war protests.

"Not only a majority of the people who served with him feel that way, but a vast and overwhelming majority," O'Neill said. He added that more than "ninety percent of the people contacted by Swift Boat Veterans for Truth responded to the request to sign their name, with only 12 declining to sign.

"Comrades who actually served with him, almost all of them, are opposed to him, and believe he would be an unfit commander in chief and intend to bring the truth of his actual record to the attention of the American people," O'Neill said.

O'Neill hopes the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth can reveal to the American people what he sees as Kerry's flawed character.

"In the military, loyalty between commanders and the troops serving them is a two-way street. We have here a guy (Kerry) that with all of us in the field [in Vietnam] -- actually fighting the North Vietnamese -- came home and then falsely accused all of us of war crimes at a time when the people in uniform couldn't even respond," O'Neill said.

"And he did that knowing that was a lie," he added.

'Real John Kerry'

B. G. Burkett, author of the book Stolen Valor and a military researcher, believes that Tuesday's event will not be dismissed easily by Kerry's campaign as a "partisan" attack.

"There are probably just as many Democrats amongst sailors who sailed swift boats as there are Republicans. What Kerry fails to realize is this has nothing to do with politics -- this has to with Vietnam Veterans who served, who have a beef with John Kerry's service, both during and after the war," Burkett told CNSNews.com.

"The American people do not know John Kerry and hopefully the swift boat crews and other Vietnam veterans will make sure that the American public knows the real John Kerry," he added.

Jim Loftus of Kerry's press office referred questions about Swift Boat Veterans for Truth's event on Tuesday to spokesman David Wade. Wade did not return CNSNews.com's requests for comment.

Stu, Do you know if this press conference will be aired on TV? Couldn't find any note on the CNS website that it would be.
Frankie B.

You don't really think the liberal media is going to publicize this event, do you? :eek:

They're already ramping up with their damage control spin doctors just in case any of this actually gets coverage.

What a Great day guy's, O'neill know's he has to get this in some new's outlet. To do any good, Well just have to weight and see. Thank's stu for the up date on this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Have a good day,

I don't question that Kerry is unfit for office for what he did after he returned stateside. But what I have read about his service in country is pretty solid. I think trying to color his service in Viet Nam as less than honorable is a partisan mistake. The kind that can shred credibility. Those that were actually on his crew and in his boat loved him. Including one republican. The bogus purple heart thing is the only thing that comes close to discredit. And that is pretty weak to say "OK so he did have all these legitimate purple hearts and other decorations, BUT THIS ONE shows the disgraceful coward he really is!!! Keep it REAL.

Kerry Was a 'Loose Cannon' While in Vietnam, Says Ex-Commander
By Robert B. Bluey
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
May 04, 2004

(1st Add: Includes reaction from supporters of John Kerry)

Washington (CNSNews.com) - John Kerry's former swift boat commanders and colleagues on Tuesday described the presumptive Democrat nominee as a self-absorbed and devious sailor during the Vietnam War who was there merely to advance a future political career.

A group of 18 veterans gathered in the nation's capital asking Kerry to authorize the Department of the Navy to independently release his military records, including medical information, about his service during the Vietnam War. Many said Kerry was unfit to be commander-in-chief of the U.S. military

More than 200 veterans have signed a letter from the group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth seeking the release of records. Retired Rear Adm. Roy Hoffmann commanded the swift boat force during Kerry's tour of duty.

"He arrived in country with a strong anti-Vietnam War bias and a self-serving determination to build a foundation for his political future," Hoffmann said. "He was aggressive, but vain and prone to impulsive judgment, often with disregard to specific tactical assignments. He was a loose cannon.

"In an abbreviated tour of four months and 12 days," Hoffmann added, "and with his specious medals secure, Lt. j.g. (junior grade) Kerry bugged out of Vietnam and began his infamous betrayal of all United States forces in the Vietnam War."

Several other speakers also criticized Kerry for speaking out against the war. They said his association with Vietnam Veterans Against the War in the 1970s was disrespectful to the soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen who served their country.

Kerry's campaign quickly fired back, organizing a press conference in which four Vietnam veterans disputed the allegations.

"Senator Kerry has asked the United States Navy for his entire official record. The United States Navy sent his entire official record," said campaign spokesman Michael Meehan. "All of these documents are available on the World Wide Web. You can go on to JohnKerry.com and look at everything the Navy sent to Kerry as his official record."

But according to one of Kerry's commanders, retired Lt. Cmdr. Grant Hibbard, questions remain about the three Purple Hearts that Kerry was awarded for injuries in Vietnam. Based on Hibbard's recollection, one of Kerry's injuries didn't appear to warrant a medal.

"He showed me a scratch on his arm and a piece of shrapnel in his hand that appeared to be from one of our own M-79s," Hibbard said. "He later received a Purple Heart for that scratch, and I have no information as to how or whom."

Another officer, retired Capt. Charley Plumly, said Kerry was under his command for two or three naval operations. He criticized Kerry's attitude and behavior.

"Kerry would be described as devious, self-absorbing, manipulative, disdain for authority, disruptive," Plumly said, "but the most common phrase you would hear [was] 'requires constant supervision.' "

More to Come

From WND.COM

Hearing some of the comments about kerry reminds me of a character, Lieutenant Macklin, in the book series, 'The Corps', by W.E.B. Griffin about the Marines from 1941 to the end of WWII.
At one point the commanding officer pretty much tells the main character, Lieutenant McCoy,
to not let Macklin mess up the operation, basically to take him out if he feels it's needed.
Macklin would do whatever it takes to better his career.Lying and some creative writing in reports were some of his methods to better himself.

Weedwacker, As a veteran of the same war as kerry, I question his his service. In my opinion it was far less than honorable or solid. What he actually did was use a loophole to run out on his own men after he accomplished the purpose of setting himself up for his lousy political career. Some of his supposed medals are very questionable. And his actions after coming home are treason to me and my kind. As far as I am concerned he is a disgraceful coward.
Barry
Originally posted by Weedwacker:
[qb]I don't question that Kerry is unfit for office for what he did after he returned stateside. But what I have read about his service in country is pretty solid. I think trying to color his service in Viet Nam as less than honorable is a partisan mistake. The kind that can shred credibility. Those that were actually on his crew and in his boat loved him. Including one republican. The bogus purple heart thing is the only thing that comes close to discredit. And that is pretty weak to say "OK so he did have all these legitimate purple hearts and other decorations, BUT THIS ONE shows the disgraceful coward he really is!!! Keep it REAL.[/qb]

Now the word is Cary was grooming himself for a political career in Viet Nam? Even that early? What was he like 25? He was probably just a dopey kid at that point. So after college he said OK now. I'll go into the navy, spend some time on a ship just for the heck of it, then get myself transferred to a swift boat so I can come under fire, then be brave just long enough to get some metals, then find a loophole so I can get sent home early and hang out with a clan of street-play-acting hippies and go up to capital hill and stab all my fellow veterens right in the back and tell the congress and president they are responsible for american attrocities and sending thousands to their death for a mistake. THAT will surely put me on a fast track to the White House. It sounds ridiculous to me.

I was only about 2 years old when all this went on, but I know enough history to know that most Americans back then thought that somebody that throws their metals over the wall is a de-generate. Now that the hippy baby boomers run the media history has been rewritten to the point that most people my age think EVERYBODY was demonstrating against the war. I don't think that's the case was it? It's just that the hippies and the people spitting on GI's at the airport made the most noise, and now run hollywood and the media. In that context doing the crap Kerry did was not conducive to a political career. In case you had not noticed it is the biggest anchor around his neck now.

I have really started to notice political bias on the right lately like we always expect from the left and it's counter-productive.

Is it maybe possible that despite how much we hate Kerry he was actually a good soldier for a period of four months.

Go to the net and read through his military records. See what you can find about why he got his medals. I just have not been able to find what you are talking about. If you can find it I will be glad to admit I am wrong. I'm no fan of Kerry either, but I am a fan of the truth.

What it looks like to me is that a bunch of veterens who hate Cary for what he did after he came back and barely if at all knew him in Vietnam are trying to get jabs in. It is understandable but not genuine. I mean come on. An admiral? What admiral was in the Swift boat with him?

I saw on the news a picture of kerry with JFK on a sailboat when he was in high school.He seemed to idolize Kennedy.So maybe he just followed in JFK's foot steps and then fell in love with red jane (or her money) after he got out of the military, after all he does like very rich women /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I didn't know a lot of people that were against the war, at least they didn't hate the military.
That was back in '73 when I got out of highschool.
The media sure made it look that way of course, I guess that might be the time they decided to become makers of the news not reporters of the news.They're becoming very good at it now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shot him with her ray-gun of Liberal Love /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
fonda-j.jpg

You know there has to be merit to what these guys say. I can't ever remember a group of veterans this size with several high ranking officers getting together to attack someone's character.

I worked with a guy named Rick Ekley who served 3 tours in Nam on these boats. He was forced to stay an extra 2 years. How did Kerry get to go home? Ekley had 3 purple hearts and the Navy Cross. His body is so scared up from all his wounds, still walks with a slight limp from a grenade blast.

Kerry sucks.........That's all I gotta say about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

See what you can find about why he got his medals.

Kerry has not made that information available. He has only posted parts of his military records on his web site, and one officer has publicly stated that some of the records posted are his, not sKerry's.

I posted another thread here that includes a letter from a doctor who treated sKerry for one of the wounds that got him a PH.

Treatment consisted of a band-aid, and it may be that the wound was self inflicted as a result of firing one of his own weapons and being hit by a ricocheting fragment.

The other 2, we have no information on.

The silver star letter and Bronze star letter are both on there. There is a fairly detailed description of what he got them for. His name is on them. I don't know how the process works, but I assume someone besides Kerry had to give testimony to what happened, either his crew or a fellow officer that was there and one or more CO's had to approve it. I find the doctor's comments a little strange. How the hell does the doctor know who said what happened when, he's just a doctor who saw Kerry for probably ten minutes and he's making all these statements about what happened when he was not there. Did he get to interview Cary and his crew about the incidents seperately. Who signs off on a purple heart and by what criteria? The doctor? Kerry's CO? He can't award a purple heart to himself can he. You just can't accept it can you. Are Cary's own crew members that actually served along side him under fire speaking out against him? Are not they the one's that really count? Or does a doctor who says he heard something second hand have more credibility?

From what I've heard, and I did today hear one of these officers discuss in on Boortz's show, every single commanding officer that Kerry had has come forth and said he isn't fit for the job.

Every last one of them.

As a group, they are not endorsing anyone. They don't all agree about anything else. They have only come together on this issue.

That seems to me to be significant.

Bush's commanding officers, the ones who've been interviewed, have said nothing but good about what kind of a young officer he made. If a single one of them had leveled criticisms similar to what Kerry's officers have, it would be headline news until we were sick of it, much less if most or all did.

Is this really surprising? A guy who stabbed his fellow veterens in the back after he came home wants to be commander in chief, the most powerful man in the world. It is not surprising that many in the military are desperate to derail him in any way possible. I just don't like to see my side doing the same crap the libs do when they say G.W. was awol. I'm just not seeing much here. Show me I'm wrong.

VN would not even be an issue, except that John Kerry made it one. Having done such, people are looking at his service record, what they can find of it.

Bush and his election team are not making an issue of it. They have not attempted to use his service record against him. They have used his 19 years in the senate, the actual votes, positions, and what he has said.

But Kerry can't have it both ways. If he wants to run on his service record, then that record is fair game. Questions will be asked and must be answered.

He was one of those who demanded that Bush release his military records. Bush did so, every last one that the military has.

However, Kerry, having made this demand, has refused to release all of his own records. Once again, I don't think he can have it both ways. If his opponent has to release everything, so must he.

And he's the one who asked for it.

These military people who came out against him yesterday are not on your side. They are not all republicans. They do not all want to see Bush stay in office. They are simply unified in their opionions that Kerry is unfit for the presidency, based on his serving under their command.

If you think they are wrong, why not get a hold of them and have at it? They were there. I wasn't. I'm making no judgement about his service, I'm just relaying what those who were in place to do have said. I reserve my judgements on the known, documented record he has since returning to the states.

Ignoring his active duty service completell, I also find him unfit for the position. That's my evalueation of his last 30 year record.

Looking at what he has said about his service, I can see questions that need answering. They aren't getting answered. There is one person responsible for that. It's John Kerry. Apparently he thinks that he is better off not answering them than if he answered them.

Why he seems to think that is now by default left to our imaginations.

A guy who stabbed his fellow veterens in the back after he came home wants to be commander in chief, the most powerful man in the world.

Your words. If you think them valid, don't you think that veterans opposing him to be a valid, just response to his candidacy?

Do you think that a man who did that *should* be president?

Are you kidding? I don't want him to be president. He's obviously not fit for elected office, just not based on what he did in a swift boat. I just want him opposed for REAL reasons and I think we hurt the cause trying to pretend that his service is something it's not.

Just because I don't like Kerry does not mean I'm going to buy any BS that's said about him.

It leaves those who don't understand ideology (but still vote) thinking both sides are the same and full of partisan B.S. I expect that from the left. I don't want the right to do that.

My questions for you are: What were CO's who thought he was totally unfit for duty doing awarding him metals? How can you give a guy unfit for command, a command, and then turn around and give him medals in the command, and then 35 years later say you always thought he was unfit for command? And what questions do you want answered specifically that have not been?

If the guys your talking about are just saying they don't want him to be president fine. I got the impression his service under their command was the issue.

And besides, there is no conflict on this forum. I was getting bored with everybody agreeing about everything all the time. Need a devils advocate around here once in a while to spice things up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back