Anyone used a rifled choke tube with slugs?

LeviSS

Does anyone use a rifled choke tube in a smooth bore to shoot slugs? I was considering trying one, but didn't know if the short length of the tube would be enough to actually put any spin on a slug.

Don't know if it puts spin on the slug but mine shoots the standard cheap slugs pretty good,I get 3" groups at 50 yards and clover leafs at 25.

It doesn't like copper solids or other sabots.

I have tried them. I seriously doubt you would be happy with one compared to a good rifled barrel and the right slugs. If a thirty dollar tube could the job everyone else would have already caught on and have one. Plus they would cost alot more just because they can get it...kinda like drillin' a well. 4 hours after they start you get a bill for $6800.00!!!!! What else ya' gonna do ya' gotta have water.

I've got one for a Remington 1100 and it works just fine...accuracy isn't what one would get from a fully rifled barrel, but certainly adequate for close in deer hunting.

the concept isn't anything new - Look at the "Paradox" - back in the 1880s, Holland and Holland was rifling the last couple of inches of their ball and shot guns...

As with all slug guns, be prepared to put in some time at the range determining what "flavor" of slugs the gun likes...

I realize that it won't be on par with a rifled barrel, but a rifled barrel for an M2 is about $500.

I've been using a 870 smooth bore 20 guage for 13 years, so I'm choosy with my shots. I just wanted to see if they improved accuracy compared to a smooth bore.

Years ago and underwhelmed. However I bet if you shot some of the new improved slugs might find a winner. Probably would not waste much money on the sabots developed for rifled barrels but I was surprised at how well Remington's Buckhammer shot in my 20 ga rifled barrel..much less expensive as I recall than the sabot 260 gr bullets.

My first slug gun was a High Standard 12 ga Field King- cut the barrel to 20", used Williams Foolproof receiver sight with a ramp front and it was a paper plate shooter at 100 yards...don't know why but it had a trigger like a rifle. Worked great on the distances I shot my OH deer.

I used one in a 11-87 about 10 yrs. back, it was a Remington choke. Results were mediocre but some of that could have been because of the semi-auto and I didn't try alot of different slugs.

You might want to try some Federal Tru-Ball slugs in your barrel with a cylinder bore tube.

heres a silly question, my buddy wants to shoot slugs out of his turkey gun with a xtra full choke , his gun is a smooth bore i told him he would probably be better of taking the choke out but hes afraid to mess up the threads from the slug, he dont have any other chokes to install... he insists on using this from his bear stand his shots will be 20 yards and dosnt want to purchase another gun... so which way would be best for him?

Originally Posted By: Rennat2heres a silly question, my buddy wants to shoot slugs out of his turkey gun with a xtra full choke , his gun is a smooth bore i told him he would probably be better of taking the choke out but hes afraid to mess up the threads from the slug, he dont have any other chokes to install... he insists on using this from his bear stand his shots will be 20 yards and dosnt want to purchase another gun... so which way would be best for him?

That's asking for big trouble. Don't shoot it with a turkey tube or without one, either. He needs to buy a $20 cylinder tube. They tell you not to shoot slugs out of anything tighter than Modified, I believe.

Levi SS,

I have and am quite pleased with the results...I'll upload pics (cell phone quality) when i get around to it.

The shots were at 100yds, and the holes were touching.

My set-up is a Browning Maxus with the "Sabot Express Rifled Choke Tube". I believe its made for Browning by Briley. Its much longer than the Carlsons' rifled choke, and at $80, much more expensive.

There seems to be quite a devotion to the myth that smooth barreled shotguns arent accurate past 50yds. However, like i said, i'll upload a couple of pictures...i'll catch flak and disbelief from the ppl on this forum

As Promised, pictures of 2 shot groups. Yes, i know...however, i shot these "grps" at 100yds, in the evening, with only a bead on the shotgun...it was hard to judge bullet drop as each slug behaved differently.

Once again, the shotgun is a Browning Maxus, the Choke tube is a Browning Sabot Express Rifled Slug, and the distance is 100yds. There no optics on the shotgun, only the crappy front bead.

The Federal PRI slugs are of high end quality, and cost $15.99/box of 5. They exhibited almost no drop at 100yds...I was aiming at the top of the target, since i expected a lot of drop at this distance...I made no attempt to compensate for wind, hence the off centered groups..These slugs are sabot slugs, and so behaved more like rifle bullets...I was pleasantly surprised at the stability the rifled choke imparted on them.

FederalPRI_BrowningMaxus_SabotExpChoke.jpg

The next pictures are are of the remington 2 3/4" slugger...these are dirt cheap, about $4.99/box of 5. They are rifled slugs, and exibited a lot of drop at 100yds...again, i made no attempt to correct for wind at 100yds...hence the off center groups.

275RemSlugger_Browningaxus_RifledChoke.jpg

I hope this helps put to rest, the notion that smooth bore shotguns with poperly designed rifled choke tubes are not accurate past 50yds.

With a decent red dot optic on a shotgun, slugs can be accurate at quite a distance...While those Sabot Slugs can be expensive, they certainly can bring home some venison...

I've used one in a 870 Wingmaster with a 20" bbl with rifle sights that was very accurate with foster type slugs, but the gun kicked like a mule. I've also used one of the Browning extended rifled in a Mossberg 500 and it shot well also. My best was probably 125 yds on a small 8, but most shots were shorter because we were pushing them with 8-10 guys. I think it's worth a try if it will shave an inch or 2 off your groups.

Back