This will just make you want to puke

d2admin

Administrator
I hope some of our Massachuetts members don't let this slide. This reporter is a discrase to jurnalisim.

Thursday, April 29, 2004

ESPN.com news services
AMHERST, Mass. -- A University of Massachusetts student has openly criticized Pat Tillman, calling the former NFL player a Rambo-like idiot in the school paper.

The column in question was submitted by graduate student Rene Gonzalez and published Wednesday in the Daily Collegian. It was titled "Pat Tillman is not a hero: he got what was coming to him."

Gonzalez writes that Tillman was a "Rambo" who probably acted out of "nationalist patriotic fantasies." In his own neighborhood in Puerto Rico, according to Gonzalez, Tillman would not have been considered a hero, but a "pendejo," or idiot.

The column drew harsh criticism from many on campus. University president Jack Wilson says the op-ed piece was "disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature."

Tillman, who gave up his NFL career to join the Army Rangers in 2002, was killed in combat one week ago in Afghanistan. The military announced on Wednesday that he has been posthumously promoted to the rank of corporal and awarded the Purple Heart and Meritorious Service Medal.

"You know he was a real Rambo, who wanted to be in the 'real' thick of things," Gonzalez writes in his column, which is posted on the collegiate paper's Web site. "I could tell he was that type of macho guy, from his scowling, beefy face on the CNN pictures. Well, he got his wish. Even Rambo got shot in the third movie, but in real life, you die as a result of being shot. They should call Pat Tillman's army life 'Rambo 4: Rambo Attempts to Strike Back at His Former Rambo 3 Taliban Friends, and Gets Killed.'"

Gonzalez also says that Tillman's service was not "necessary."

"It wasn't like he was defending the East coast from an invasion of a foreign power. THAT would have been heroic and laudable," Gonzalez writes. "What he did was make himself useful to a foreign invading army, and he paid for it. It's hard to say I have any sympathy for his death because I don't feel like his 'service' was necessary. He wasn't defending me, nor was he defending the Afghani people. He was acting out his macho, patriotic crap and I guess someone with a bigger gun did him in."

In a letter to its readers Thursday, the Daily Collegian says Gonzalez' opinion in no way reflects that of the newspaper's editorial board. A column by one of the editors praising Tillman's sacrifice ran in the paper next to the one by Gonzalez.

"We do not hold back from printing news stories, columns or editorials that may upset our readership -- instead, we seek to both inform and stir debate through our publication," the letter, also posted on the Web site, reads. "Our decision to publish Gonzalez's column -- an opinion piece written by a member of our campus community -- is the only way for us to live up to this ideal."

Tillman will be eulogized at a public memorial service in his hometown of San Jose, Calif., early next week, and funeral arrangements are pending.

The body of Tillman arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Monday. His brother, Spc. Kevin Tillman, also a Ranger with the 2nd Battalion of the 75th Ranger Regiment, was expected to accompany the body to the funeral home, Lawrence said.

Tillman was killed in a firefight on a road near Sperah, about 25 miles southwest of a U.S. base at Khost.

After coming under fire, Tillman's patrol got out of their vehicles and gave chase, moving toward the spot of the ambush. Beevers said the fighting was "sustained" and lasted 15-20 minutes.

The Cardinals said they will retire Tillman's No. 40 and name the plaza surrounding the new stadium under construction in suburban Glendale the "Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

That character sounds like a real piece of work.He was also wrong Rambo actually died in the first book "First Blood".My heart goes out to Pat Tillmans family.

I'd like to throw him into a room full of Army Rangers for about 5 minutes.

And to think people give their live so scum bags like that have the FREEDOM to spew that crap.

Gonzalez mentioned his own neighborhood in Puerto Rico. The S.O.B. should be swimming back as soon as possible. I wonder how much tax payer money is putting that jerk through school.

Pat Tillman was a true hero and stood tall for what this country is all about. Our sympathy goes out to his family.

Typical of some of the idiots in that once nice state of MASS. See my importanrt post in this forum under Ted Kennedy-Memogate. Please
Frankie B.

I just finished reading an article on that talking bag of puke. What I really don't understand about these type people is who in the hell to they think has secured their rights to be so %$^&ing stupid? It sure as hell wasn't some never been in the real world grad student.

You can take all the guys like Mr. Gonzalez, all the sports stars, all the movie stars, and all the pop stars and roll them up in a ball. What you got still isn't good enough to lace the boots of any military man fighting for this country!

But then again, I'm rather closed minded I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That beaner has no idea of what made America the great country she once was.Individual acts of courage and bravery all reflecting towards unselfish freedom for all of us.
That piece of sh*t came from a port o potty south of Florida.His whole culture sucks,thats why he's here trying to mooch off ours.Its sad we let our gene pool get deleated by these anti-American fools.

I agree with all of you guys. If you got a problem with american machismo, go the hell back home to caca-rico where you belong!!!

Appearantly in Caca-rico people who are selfless are considered idiots, GO HOME A$$WIPE!!!We don`t want to risk the chance that us idiots might offend you!!

How about that for being "informative" & "stirring debate".Turnaround sucks huh

Translation correction of what Gonzalez stated. I asked a Puerto Rican firend about "pendejo" pronounced pen-de ho. It does not mean idiot. The word is a big insult. It means "queer or fag" End the word in an "a", it means lezzy. Pato is another expression like that, in every day language it means "duck", the quacking kind.
Any one else get a different translation? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Frankie B.

Back