Gettin' Crazy in Loco Hills

I went out this morning to an area north of the village of Loco Hills, NM that is covered up in coyotes, but is tough to hunt because of the terrain. The next couple pictures are representative of the country.

DSC00079-1.jpg

DSC00080-1.jpg

Its hard to even get a picture of it, but the area is all sand hills covered with scrubby oaks and mesquite. There's not an open stretch to be had and very few decent vantage points. For my first stand of the morning though, I found a natural "bowl" that afforded good visibility for quite a ways in all directions. I remember that Leon, in one of his posts about a stand at the last PM hunt, described a place that had a flashing neon sign that said "call coyotes from here". This was one of those spots.
I got set up and started calling. Almost as soon as I started, two coyotes emerged from the brush on the far side of the bowl. They looked reluctant to cross the center of the bowl and they skirted around to my right, upwind side instead. They were halfway around the side and two more came out of the brush behind them. The front two coyotes split up with one heading around behind me and the other dropping down into the bowl. As I lost sight of the one going behind me, the other coyote appeared from a low spot right in front of me. I woofed at him, he stopped, and I dropped him four steps from where I sat. At the shot, it seemed there were coyotes running everywhere! One stopped on the far side of the bowl. I leveled the rifle and shot cleanly over his back. He was having no more of that gunshot business and split.
Things calmed down for a while and I kept calling. At about six minutes from the beginning of the stand, two more coyotes come out of the brush on the far side of the bowl (I'm not sure if they were part of the original four or not). One of them struck out across the bowl headed right for me. It checked up in a clearing near the bottom about 100 yards out. I steadied the crosshairs and dropped that one. The other took off to my left around the top edge of the bowl. I continued calling and caught sight of the other coyote hard over to my left at about 200 yards out, looking my way. I could see its head and neck above the brush. I rushed a shot from a weird position and got bumped out of the field of view at the shot. The shot itself felt good, but there ended up being no coyote, no sign of spinning, and no blood at the other end.

It was a madcap twelve minutes or so that ended in as many as six coyotes called, two shot, and two missed. The bowl I was calling is out beyond the dirt berm in the background.

DSC00076-1.jpg

I had one more successful stand this morning at which I called in two and shot one at around 50 yards.

DSC00078-1.jpg

Our latest little "cool spell" is just about over it seems. It was pushing 90 by 10:00 AM and the coyotes called it a day. I did, too. It was already a big 'ole day for me, though. Thought I'd share.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That does look like a hard place to hunt, but you came up with a plan and put it into action.

Really great job. You must indeed have a lot of coyotes. I wish we could find action like that here.

I like your rifle.

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. I've been to that area numerous times before and I've just started to put everything together. This was my first success in that brushy stuff. 6mm, thanks for the compliment on the rifle; it's a frankengun of the first order. Rock River lower, RGuns 16 in. .223 upper, Larue mount, Redfield scope, and V-Tac sling. It kills coyotes when I aim it right, though.

I know just what you mean about Loco hills , coyotes everywhere just no great places to set up , we had one last year doing jumping jacks with us he came up behind a sand hill and just started jumping up and down trying to find the dieing rabbit. Kind of hard trying to time a jump. LOL

Yeah, if there were two of me, or if I weren't as lazy, I'd bring the shotgun with me, too. It's great country for shotgunning, just wouldn't want to be without the rifle. It almost looks like your avatar pic could be from somewhere around that same area.

Got to love loco hills!There isnt ANY COYOTES there though!Its best just to pass it bye and go to Buckeye(I think thats how you spell it)!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reb8600Good job Cory. Nice to see you finally getting them in.

Just save some for the rest of us. I hope to make the trip back out there this year, that was some fun hunting...
thumbup.gif

Back