Remington 700 XCR Tactical vs. Cooper The Phoenix?

Salmo22

I'm looking to get my son a quality 223 for his college graduation. He primarily chases coyotes and the 223 seems like a good fit. I want something that has good accuracy out of the box, quality trigger/action/barrel/stock, and would serve as a good foundation for a future 223AI custom build.

Both Remington 700 XCR Tactical and Cooper The Phoenix seem like good candidates at similar price points. What say ye? Pro & cons?

Iv got a XCR Tac in 223( it has the LTR type flutes ), Iv been very pleased with it.

Bottom rifle, I dropped it in a A5.
Picture042-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: SDS Iv got a XCR Tac in 223( it has the LTR type flutes ), Iv been very pleased with it.

Bottom rifle, I dropped it in a A5.
Picture042-1.jpg

Hey SDS:

Thanks for the comments - great looking rifles. When you say you dropped it in an A5, did you do it yourself or did you have a gunsmith do it? I guess what I'm asking is do you really just drop/screw it in the A5? What type of bedding does the A5 employ? What a great stick.

Thanks.

Mcmillan inletted it, you get what you ask for. They will drop right in, then add your flavor of bedding compound and your GTG
smile.gif

Mickey's are drops ins.

No need to bed if you don't want too, but a proper bedding job wouldn't hurt.

I've ran a handful of Mickey's without bedding and they all shot very, very well. Out of the 7 I have on hand, only 1 isn't bedded and that's because I got a replacement earlier this year and never got around to doing a bedding job on the new stock they made for me.

Out of the two rifles you mentioned, I'd personally would go with the Cooper. Better stock and better trigger then what's on the current '700's.

Get him something unique and top shelf for that honor. I remember my father bought me a three rifle set of Kimber of Oregon LH Super America rifles(reasonably priced back then). They are the pride and joy of my rifle collection. Get him something he will really remember you by.

Great cartridge choice. Something he will always have a use for, and will shoot often. I would go with the Cooper. But I would probably go with wood, and really doll it up. Tom.

I too would buy the Cooper but I am a bit biased, I have 5 of them.

The Phoenix is a nice rifle, I have one in 6mm Rem thats an incredible shooter. The rest of them have walnut handles. I too would buy a nice walnut for a special gift.

My pops gave me a pat on the back when I graduated from college lol. I'm sure he would be stoked with either one but I would go with the cooper.

Back