6X45 Ballistics

scottkr

What type of performance could I anticipate from a 6X45 AR? Why would this round be superior for predator hunting over a.223? Any and all information you folks can forward to me would be very helpful. Thank you.

When folks ask me that to keep it simple I just tell them that because of the larger bore .224 vs .243 you can get the same velocity with 10gr more bullet weight from the 6X45mm. example: 60gr bullet from my .223 AR runs 3050fps and the 68gr from the 6X45mm runs 3140 fps. so a little heavier bullet traveling a little faster adds more smackdown all else being equal.

Originally Posted By: venatic 60gr bullet from my .223 AR runs 3050fps and the 68gr from the 6X45mm runs 3140 fps.so a little heavier bullet traveling a little faster adds more smackdown all else being equal.

Oh Man, you should be salesman! My heart is beating fast and I am getting that feeling.
wub.gif
I want one.

venatic
You said it alittle faster! Not enough difference to make it a big deal !

69 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon Varget .224" 2.235" 24.0 2784 39,200 CUP 26.0C 3010 50,200 CUP

Corbon is producing factory ammunition, however reloading will be your best option. Redding makes a fine set of 6x45 dies.
John

Originally Posted By: 454 Pumavenatic
You said it alittle faster! Not enough difference to make it a big deal !

69 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon Varget .224" 2.235" 24.0 2784 39,200 CUP 26.0C 3010 50,200 CUP

And Sierra shows that load maxing out at 2850fps in an AR. My 6x45 bolt guns will launch a 70gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip circa 3300fps. However, you are overlooking the most important aspect, there are plenty of 70+ grain bullets in the 6x45 that are hunting bullets. The same can not be said for the .223.
John

There's also a larger frontal diameter with the 6x45 bullet, which I like.

It's a great coyote caliber in my experience. I shoot 75 gr. Sierra HPs out of my 20" Detech.

pcammo
Yep and we all know that the load manuals are based on .223 Rem Pressures not 5.56mm 60,000 psi! I haven't gone there yet but since my AR is a NATO chamber I'm sure I can get as much fps as the 6X45mm with the same weight bullets! I would love to see real 5.56mm data and yes I use the Nato trim lenght instead of the .223 Rem!! I'm normally not in the habit of going over Manual loads but since the Factory boys have no balls to print real 5.56mm laods I guess they leave me no choice!

Last edited:
So your thinking 3300 fps with a 70gr bullet in a .223.....
scared.gif

I have gotten my AR 6X45mm to 3175ish with max loads with the 68gr but even with Warm loads cannot get the 60gr up to 3100fps with my AR .223 but that is only a 20inch barrel.

454 Puma, It is physically impossible for the .223/5.56 to propel a bullet of the same weight, at, or over the velocity of the bullet fired from the 6 x 45 at the same pressure.

The .223/5.56 VS. the 6 X 45 is not unique in this situation. Anytime you take a given case, with the same pressure and increase the bore diameter, you are going to get more energy out of the larger bore. The .243 Win. VS. .308 Win. .243 WSSM VS. .25 WSSM. Any of them that you can come up with to compare will give you the same results: The larger bore will give you more energy.

The reason of this is quite simple. It is the volume occupied by the base of the bullet, VS. the same amount of pressure acting on it. The limiting factor on a case is the maximum pressure. Exert that same pressure on a larger area, and you will do more work, or get more energy.

The base of a .243 bullet is about .3817 square inches. The .224 bullet is about .3518 square inches. Apply the same amount of pressure to both of these areas and you will get more energy out of the one with the larger area occupied. You can dispute it all you want, but it is a mathematical certainty.

Originally Posted By: 454 Pumapcammo
Yep and we all know that the load manuals are based on .223 Rem Pressures not 5.56mm 60,000 psi! I haven't gone there yet but since my AR is a NATO chamber I'm sure I can get as much fps as the 6X45mm with the same weight bullets! I would love to see real 5.56mm data and yes I use the Nato trim lenght instead of the .223 Rem!! I'm normally not in the habit of going over Manual loads but since the Factory boys have no balls to print real 5.56mm laods I guess they leave me no choice!

Actually, that load was 54KPSI as measured in a transducer equipped bench gun in my lab. The velocity was recorded from a 27" Shilen tube on my favorite P-Dog rifle. My point is, you were comparing apples to oranges. And by the way, most of us "Factory boys" are very diligent in our pursuit of providing reliable safe data for you to trash.
John

Are there any factory guns being chambered for the 6X45 or is it only available as a custom job?

My girl is quite small (and doesn't like recoil), but we have a .24 caliber restriction for hunting deer, so this seems like a good route to go for her.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheenone that ive seen, it would be hard to beat the price new frontier has on theirs listed on here.

+1 on that.

Originally Posted By: WSMBUCKOriginally Posted By: 1badsheenone that ive seen, it would be hard to beat the price new frontier has on theirs listed on here.

+1 on that.

2+

Originally Posted By: MPFDAnd they are tack drivers ta boot....

They are shooters

Back