243 vs 30/06

CZ453

Is there really much, if anything, to be gained by using a 243 rather than a 30/06 for whitetail/mule deer. A 30/06 with a 150 or a 165 grain bullet seems to be so close in terms of ballistics (looking at Winchester factory specs) to the 100 grain bullet in 243. Both are rated for deer. Interested in your comments. Right now I have a Browning A-bolt 30/06 and am toying with the idea of a 243. Is the felt recoil/noise really a whole lot different?

I've owned both calibers, from my experience, the 243 has less recoil, I have killed deer with both calibers. The 243 is also a good yote round, although can be a little harsh on the pelt.

Mark2

Another thought also. Up here it is illegal to shoot big game with a caliber smaller than 23, making a 223 illegal for big game. In looking at the ballistics of the 243 with a 100 grain bullet vs the 223/8 twist barrel with a 80-100 grain bullet (both rated by Winchester for deer) it seems that there is very little difference. Assuming that a good partition bullet is used in both calibers. Perhaps it is time the law caught up with the multitude of firearms available. Is it reasonable to use a 223 on deer within 200 yards or so?

Personally I have always felt the 223 was a little light for deer. I know deer can be killed with a 22lr with proper shot placement. Of the 2 calibers, the 243 would best suit your needs, IMHO

Mark2

Built my son a 6mm Rem. when he was 8 and he never lost a deer with it, but had to track a few. High lung shot deer w/6mm's do not leave the blood trail the '06 will leave, making for more difficult tracking. When he was big enough to handle the recoil of the '06, I swithched him to that caliber.

The 243 will do the job, but the '06 does it with a bit more authority and is ample for larger game should the opportunity present itself.

Regards,
hm

Owning and using both, I will never be without both. I generally use my 06 on elk, but carry the 243 everywhere! I am also willing to pass up a poor opportunity with the 243 that the 06 would handle beautifully.
Mark

Run my 243 for varmints, yotes, and as a backup deer gun/gf deer gun. There is just something about a 30-06 with cup and core bullets that really take deer off their feet which my 243 just doesn't do. As far as recoil though there is a pretty big difference in guns of equal weight but you will only notice while shooting targets, with a deer down range the recoil will not be noticed from either caliber.

Last edited:
Both/all are capable.

My own preference would be .243 for up to 107gr bullets, .308 for 150-180 gr, '06 up to about 220gr, and mags/real men's guns for heavier bullets.

Seriously, if you already have an '06 it will do just fine.

On the other hand, if you need an excuse to use on your wife in order to buy a new rifle, the '06 is a TERRIBLE choice for any game in N. America.

Your supposed to have some big bucks up your way. I'd trend toward the 30-06 for deer even though I do like the 243 with the proper bullets(deer hunting). When it comes to predators, mostly coyotes, when I don't use the shotgun, a 243 is my favorite.

I had a Remington 770 in .30-06 and (build quality & other issues aside) the recoil was painful - sold it.

My .308 700 ADL is not much better but I now have a recoil pad and a better butt pad on the .308.

My Stevens .243 has less recoil than that but still you know you've fired the rifle.

The .30-06 I think can take anything in North America up to and including Moose, possibly big bears.

So can the .308, I would think, if it can kill a man at 1000yds it can kill a bear at 100 or 200yds...

The .243 is an excellent versatile chambering. From 55grain to 107grain bullets, it can take deer out to about 600+ yds so you know you're good in coyotes that far for sure.

Noise is a whole lot different. The 06 is way louder and recoils way more. But I wouldnt be caught dead without a 30-06 I love'em.

Originally Posted By: CZ453Another thought also. Up here it is illegal to shoot big game with a caliber smaller than 23, making a 223 illegal for big game. In looking at the ballistics of the 243 with a 100 grain bullet vs the 223/8 twist barrel with a 80-100 grain bullet (both rated by Winchester for deer) it seems that there is very little difference. Assuming that a good partition bullet is used in both calibers. Perhaps it is time the law caught up with the multitude of firearms available. Is it reasonable to use a 223 on deer within 200 yards or so?

I use 22 cal. rifles every year to kill a few deer and I never have issues with them getting away. I also shoot them further than 200 yrds sometimes, I just love being different I guess but I never feel under gunned using a small cal. on whitetails.

Here is a whitetail shot at about 20 feet with a .30-06 150 gr Rem Corelokt, Bang flop. Maybe could have used a heavier bullet. Anyway no meat damage just let the air out.

p1010016xi.jpg

Few minutes later, here is a whitetail shot with a .300 WM 150 gr Rem CoreLokt at about 100 feet(no range finder). This is the Exit side, could have used a heavier bullet as this one did the death run for about 40 ft an ran straight into a tree breaking it's jaw.

p1010017xa.jpg

The 30.06 is a very versitile caliber. Even if you load your own or you dont, you can use small 130gr pills for smaller game like Prong and Blacktail.....and big ole 200gr ones for the Moose and Bears. The 30.06 will carry more energy further down range than the .243....I dont worry about the kick much, if you are worried about the kick, you will flinch and you will miss your mark. The 30.06 is what snipers used to use till they switched to a .308......I believe in taking ethical shots. I am sure the .243 will do just fine but there are no questions if you use the 30.06. Just my $.02.....Happy Hunting

Originally Posted By: hm1996Built my son a 6mm Rem. when he was 8 and he never lost a deer with it, but had to track a few. High lung shot deer w/6mm's do not leave the blood trail the '06 will leave, making for more difficult tracking. When he was big enough to handle the recoil of the '06, I swithched him to that caliber.

The 243 will do the job, but the '06 does it with a bit more authority and is ample for larger game should the opportunity present itself.

Regards,
hm

Thats kind of been my experience as well. I just don't get good blood trails with the .243 (100 gr core-lokt). 06 is a different story,,,
wink.gif

Using the right bullet either will do what you want....as long as you have good shot placement.

For 243 on deer I use the 85gr TSX. For coyotes I run the 75grain vmax.

If you try the 87 v-max instead of the 75, you will find you are able to develop a load in which you can use interchangeably with the TSX with little or no change in POI.........

You did not say what kind of bear. If we are talking black bear, a 308 with the proper bullet in the right place will easily take a blackie beyond 200 yds.....

Back