.204 Ruger AR Magazine Question

Fireball221

I have a Remington R-15 with a .204 upper, the metal magazine for 5.56/223 work well but my P-Mags will not work properly with the .204 ammo loaded into them. I went by a local gun shop and they said they had great luck with Thermold magazine so I tried them and NOPE, same issue as the P-Mags.

My question is this, am I stuck with only the 5.56/223 metal magazine or does anyone know of any others that will accept and function properly with .204 ammo? I would prefer to stay in the 20 round size of magazines. Thanks,

Last edited:
FWIW! Clips go in your hair
sick.gif
Mags go in your AR
wink.gif
What is it that makes the 204's not work with the PMags, the only thing that would not let them work would be the over all length! Whats it doing?

I have had poor luck with the P-Mags as well. They are a great magazine, but just don't work as well for the .204.

If you need the shorter magazines, DPMS sells a 20-round black curved magazine that has worked well for me.

Thanks Dtech, I agree about the P-mags great for .223 but not for .204 and the thermold is the same. I will check out the DPMS 20 rounder, I appreciate the advice.

Well Ive never used the PMags for anything! But I use the C-Product / DPMS / Charles Daily mags for all my AR's (223, 204rugers, 243 and 25 WSSM) and I have never had a problem.. So I cant say much about the PMags...

I imagine that the problem you are having is that the bolt tries to bend the case over the mouth of the chamber. When this happens, the bolt will nearly stall, and it will leave a crescent-shaped mark or crease on the side of the case.

If this is the case, what is happening is that the tip of the bullet is striking the top of the chamber before the rim is free of the magazine. This is a problem that is well known to the builders of .204 uppers. Cutting the chamber mouth differently helps, but the magazine, and how it is held in the lower receiver is key to proper function as well. An upper can work perfectly with a given magazine and lower receiver. Take that same upper and magazine and put it onto a different lower receiver, any you may have nothing but problems.

If you are a hand-loader, keeping the COL to a minimum will definitely help.

Give DPMS a call, and if you can't get them from them, Brownells or I stock them as well.

Haven't had that happen yet Dtech, what I am experiencing is that when I load the magazine after about 5 rounds the magazine starts to "swell" sides move outward and approaching 10 or so rounds in the magazine it is so swollen that the rounds can be pushed out by hand but the next round takes a little while to push upward.

reddog964 thanks for the advice on the magazines you have used with no problems with your .204 I appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: reddog964Well Ive never used the PMags for anything! But I use the C-Product / DPMS / Charles Daily mags for all my AR's (223, 204rugers, 243 and 25 WSSM) and I have never had a problem.. So I cant say much about the PMags... +1 Cproducts and DPMS, both have worked good for me, the Cproducts are stainless and from what I understand will allow loading a longer COL too.

Originally Posted By: Fireball221Haven't had that happen yet Dtech, what I am experiencing is that when I load the magazine after about 5 rounds the magazine starts to "swell" sides move outward and approaching 10 or so rounds in the magazine it is so swollen that the rounds can be pushed out by hand but the next round takes a little while to push upward.

reddog964 thanks for the advice on the magazines you have used with no problems with your .204 I appreciate it.

Your Welcome and I wasnt really trying to be a Smart A's just trying to help ya out.. I would get some of the 20round C products mags and You will be Happy with the results.

No offense taken reddog964, was just "redirecting" your energy..LOL You know like in the Karate Kid "Focus Danielson". The people on this site are the best and always so helpful. Thanks again to you all!

Back