might move to reno,nv how is the predator and upland hunting?

TripleDeuce660

I'm thinking about moving to Reno. Was going to go to portland oregon but homes are too much money its constantly raining. I got my CA contractor license I can drive over the boarder and work so it could be a good spot.

I understand alot of areas are heavily called and loaded with dirt bikers etc. Sounds about like southern ca don't imagine it could be any worse.

I'm willing to drive and to buy CA license. I figure all the best hunting and fishing is probably in CA in the sierra and the foothill areas. I have seen alot of dogs around june lake, bridgeport, and the eastern sierra. I figure up north around susanville looks good too.

Aside from predators I'm very intersted in upland bird hunting(quail, chukar mostly)

Most important of all is the cottontail, jackrabbit, and snowshoe hunting! No point in moving there if my beagle won't have plenty of rabbits to run! I met some folks from carson city they told me there is a ton of rabbits around there always easting their flowers.

TC.223 i know you will probably see this. If I move up there we gotta meet up. Ever hear of the town in NE CA that has like a week where every farm lets you in for a small fee to blast ground squirrels comes with a BBQ. Its cheaper for farmers to get paid then poison them i guess!

My wife has siblings in Carson and a little town called Dayton. Looks like great areas for calling. Last Christmas I was on my sister-in-law's front porch, and in the field on the east, I heard at least 3 coyotes chatting it up for 20 min. Pretty cool.

Economy has killed the area though. Lots of peeps out of work.

Good luck.

Everyone is out of work anyplace you go even here in los angeles. Luckily i'm a plumber and everyone has a toilet! My wife may have it harder. I can't go for atleast a year or two. I have to wait for a little better economy to make sure I can get into some work once i'm there. I have alot of connections where I live now to keep me busy. Why can't 100,000 just fall from the sky?

I'm thinking about moving to Reno

Most of the outside of Reno/Sparks is BLM. Winnemucca Ranch area is not and is posted. Don't even think about Pyramid Lake area on the reservation. Get a good BLM map(s) and you are good to go. It won't take long to figure out where to go.

RTLOF(TONY)

I just moved here ( Reno) from the SF Bay area. Reno is built up more then I though it would be.I like my rifle range in the Bay area better then the one up here. Saw two coyotes last week in the Sierra summit on CA side. Locals say Sept 1st is when they start coyote hunting.

I live just outside of Reno in Fernley. I have found the coyote hunting to be great. I rarely go out and had no luck. It has been a little tougher with the warm weather. Hunting oppurtunities are a 100 times better than california. We were up by elko about 2 weeks ago and called in 7 coyotes in the first 4 stands. If you want to give it a try let me know.

Originally Posted By: austin_rdmI live just outside of Reno in Fernley. I have found the coyote hunting to be great. I rarely go out and had no luck. It has been a little tougher with the warm weather. Hunting oppurtunities are a 100 times better than california. We were up by elko about 2 weeks ago and called in 7 coyotes in the first 4 stands. If you want to give it a try let me know.

In that case I'll see you there! Keep an eye out for rabbit and quail for me! Can't wait to run my beagle.

I'm lined up for a prevailing wage job this week a couple months work at 55 bucks an hour. If I get that me and my wife are set to be buying a house there by late spring early summer or we may just rent it out for a year till the economy gets better.

I always assume where there are dogs there are rabbits. Where there are rabbits I will be happy and so will my beagle(soon to be pack of beagles). I'm going to have to get more serious about my chukar hunting, its just so much rougher then quail. Around here the valley, mtn quail, and chukar are sometimes in the same covey in the right spot so I hope I can find bird like that up in NV.

another bonus is they have a cabelas so I can save up enough rewards on my cabelas visa to get a sx3 shotgun to whack coyote with!

reno being built up is ok for me cuz i'm in construction and that means more work. Hopefully the people moving in dont' call coyote or hunt rabbits and upland. They can hunt all the deer they want!

Last edited:
I think you would love the area. There are plenty of coyotes, chukar, quail and doves this year. This past fall has been really great for the wildlife. The wet spring really helped our native vegetation start to grow back for the birds and cottontails which in turn was great for predators this year. My sons are trying to convince me to get the call out and go this weekend since the temperature is supposed to drop. The only bad thing about the area is most of the contractors in the area are out of work. And the ones that are still around are bidding projects for cost just to keep the employees they still have around until the economy changes. I think Reno and Vegas might be the last two cities in the country to recover from the economy. We seem to rely alot financially on what Sacramento, SF and LA do.

I'm one of those construction workers sitting on their butt. no one wants to have drywall hung. on the plus side I'm hearing the chukar this year will be great,
and I've been seeing coyotes around my neighborhood in old southwest Reno. so I have a feeling it will be a good fall and winter for hunting!

Last edited:
The economy here is pretty tough right now. Loads of construction people outta work, companies just scrapping by or failing altogether. Some companies are doing pretty well though, so it's a crapshoot. And I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better. And it will be many years, if ever, before we see construction like it was 2 years ago.
As for chukars and quail in the same coveys, on rare occassions. Usaully only after the chukars have been pushed down by hunters or weather do you find them together. Rabbit populations have been way down(at least in the areas I've hunted) for years. Keep hoping for a big comeback though. Coyote hunting can be good, but anyplace within 100 miles of Reno/Sparks/Carson area usually gets pounded pretty good. 25 yrs ago there were only 3 guys around town that were seriously hunting coyotes. Now every clown with a .22 and a call is out educating em.
If ya decide ya just gotta be here, look me up. I can tell ya lies and draw phony maps with the best of em!!

Unless things change, the coyote hunting in the areas near Reno we hunt have been really poor starting in 2006 thru last winter..In areas where we had killed dozens of coyotes in several days, only one or two were to be had. We were forced to move to much further locations and still was not the success we were used to.

Yeah I seen it, the annual Squirrel shoot is in Cedarville, just a ways past Alturas. I have heard about it for years but never went. The sierras around Susanville is where I am, along with alot of other coyote hunters the numbers are low cause they are well educated. Seen 6 to 8 cottontail around just 4 days ago out shooting at Jackrabbits with my 17HMR. I purposely leave the cottontails alone cause some people eat em and i just want to shooI. Fishin here is good with Lake Almanor, Eagle Lake, Antelope Lake and McCoy Reservior. Theres a few morer lakes but I never been to them. I lived in this area for comming up on 29 years.

t/c223encore.

Hey t/c 223, how are the bears doing up in your neck of woods?
I'm thinking about getting a caly license to give the bear hunting a try.

I wouldn't know, I don't hunt bears, But I did See A Young Cub about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

1282143506.jpg

1282143504.jpg

Took these pics with my Iphone from 20 yards. I know where I've seen bears but as far as how many the bear hunters get I have no clue. I don't even know when bear season is. I'm kinda thinking it's now. Archery Deer Season is open so theres been alot of road hunters passing by when we go cut wood. Best Help I can give you, Sorry I don't know more.

t/c223encore.

Originally Posted By: VarmintnvThe economy here is pretty tough right now. Loads of construction people outta work, companies just scrapping by or failing altogether. Some companies are doing pretty well though, so it's a crapshoot. And I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better. And it will be many years, if ever, before we see construction like it was 2 years ago.
As for chukars and quail in the same coveys, on rare occassions. Usaully only after the chukars have been pushed down by hunters or weather do you find them together. Rabbit populations have been way down(at least in the areas I've hunted) for years. Keep hoping for a big comeback though. Coyote hunting can be good, but anyplace within 100 miles of Reno/Sparks/Carson area usually gets pounded pretty good. 25 yrs ago there were only 3 guys around town that were seriously hunting coyotes. Now every clown with a .22 and a call is out educating em.
If ya decide ya just gotta be here, look me up. I can tell ya lies and draw phony maps with the best of em!!

Its really rough every place. I live in los angeles and I was out of work for 2 years straight. Just finaly got back to work in the last 6 months but I would be laid off right now if I didn't know alot of people. Luckily I'm a plumber so there may be no construction work right now but I can always do service snakeing drains and changeing water heaters. Service work is endless. Plumbing is the best trade to keep busy with service work in the slow times. I hate chaseing turds though I specialize in commercial T.I.

I figure I will have to travel alot and maybe even have to work 2 weeks in LA where I know people and go to reno for a week. Definently alot of driveing to sac, frisco,and maybe LA to keep busy till things get better. I may not even move up there now. I may purchase the house and try to rent it out or whatever just keep working here till the economy picks up.

I expect there to be very little game anywhere in the southwest the last few years. We had so little rain alot of quail didn't even try to reproduce. If we get one or two more good years for rain then maybe it will make a strong comeback. Down in mammoth lakes area its been really bad the last few years.

One thing I don't like about reno is still too many people and too many people from CA. I love eastern oregon. Rain is never the issue for rabbit populations and the dogs have never heard a call in most areas.

hey im in the navy and just moved to Fernley.im new to the desert and to coyote hunting. I got a blm map and did some hunting in the hills south of Fernley around airport rd. and in the wma area, no luck. any tips or hot spots that you know of. also do you know of a good hand call.

When I first started I spent way too much money on a bunch of closed reed calls and then I tried an open reed one and never went back. I like all the crit'r calls. The magnum isn't so hot but has it's purpose, but the rest of the line I've used for many years now. My old man only packs the peewee, but I like the tan one with the extendend barrel that I have now lost the barrel to but still is fine. Save yourself some greef and buy any simple open reed call because they are all going to make about the same range of sounds and calls.

Anybody else want to throw some info out about any hunting or fishing in Reno? I just moved here from Elko and haven't gotten out much yet. I really don't think I want to give the California government 160 bucks to kill try for a bobcat or hunt anything else when I know Nevada has great cats itself. What are the chances of there being some Lions available to hunt? Most people I know and work with don't hunt.

Last edited:
Back