Arizona Bobcat Trapping

joel1980p

Hey everyone, I am new on here. I just moved to AZ and I am interested in trying to trap some bobcats once the season comes around. I am aware that you need to use the box traps out here. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks

I'm in Northern California and have been having a [beeep] of a time trying to trap a bobcat that's been preying on my poultry. I'm using a 42" x 15" live trap. I smoked my leather gloves before handling the trap, baited it with a gland lure over meat paste from Mark June, pushed dirt in over the floor area, tarped and dressed around the outside of the trap with brush. I set this trap in the location of a few bobcat attacks near a fence line to the property. Still no luck after a week and I've seen the cat up in the hills since. I'm with you. If anyone can provide some tips for live trapping this bobcat, I'd appreciate it too.

put that Justin Bieber kid in the trap in the back and that thing will be full of bobcats and cougars!!! JK...you've done about as much as you can. keep it baited and maybe he will eventually think it is safe enough to go in. good luck

Mike--- Pull your cage and hose (clean) all the lure and paste out of it. Then get a spray bottle and mix a 75% water and 25% baking soda and spray the entire trap down (de-scent it) and let the trap dry. Use a clean pair of gloves to handle your trap---smoking your gloves puts tannin on them and tannin stinks to an animal.

When you set your cage, smooth the ground under it so it sits firmly and dose not move or shake. Before final placement of the trap, dig a small hole in the ground below where the pan will be and that is your lure location. Stick one end of a Q-tip into the lure and set the Q-tip in the hole below the pan.

Bait---Now, get or build a 15X15X16L cage w/lid and attach it to the back of your cage trap. Put your live poultry (we'll say chicken, banty chickens work well cause they scare easily) into the attached cage with feed and water. If the [beeep] cat wants to come in to eat poultry---feed him poultry. Besides, he's done it before and got away with it, so he'll try it again.

Make your cubby set with brush and cover the floor, making sure nothing interferes with the door operation---Loose the tarp. A few feathers scattered in front of the trap, as J.W. said, and hang some type of attractor---bird wing, surveyor tape,ect. 4-5' off the ground and within 5-15' of your cage trap.

Hope this info helps you out. I'm not a trapping instructor but I've been trapp'in cats for 40 years.

Joel1980p....It is illegal in Arizona to use any part of any game bird or nongame bird as bait (ARS 17-309A19). If you decide to use birds parts, it is fine to use domestic poultry for bait. Just don't shoot a quail when the season opens next week and salvage parts of that for bait. Good luck!

Back