Lazer Range Finders

I've never had a range finder before this one, but my friend has one that we would use while shooting PD's. I bought this one because I really liked my friends. It is a little big perhaps, but I don't take it coyote hunting, just for PD's.
I've don't have any complaints about it and I would buy another one this it if this one were damaged.

If you are going to be trying to range Prairie Dogs/mounds, don't be surprised if you don't get the results you are hoping for, regardless of the laser type range finder you choose...I have a Leica 1200 and it's pretty iffy without a solid object for a reflection..

The mounds are pretty flat most of the time and there is not a lot of reflective surface...I usually wind up finding a rock or large cactus to get a general distance and any real measurement usually involves walking out to the location of the shot and ranging back to the vehicle/setup...

Most laser range finders are pretty accurate, if you can hold them steady enough for them to register a return reading and work great out to about 60-75% of their advertised rating, then you have to prop them on a solid base to give them time to stabilize for a good reading..

The farthest I've been able to hand hold my 1200 and get a solid reading was 954 yards and that's a lot farther than I will ever shoot at anything...

Leupold RX 1000. I saw an article a while back and it "won" a head-to-head comparison with a lot of others. Right now I'm using a Nikon, but plan to upgrade soon.

Can't figure out why Oldturtle is having such poor success with his Leica. Could be a faulty unit or something. I have the same model and I have no problem getting lightening fast readings out to 1000 yards. I have ranged larger objects such as rocks out to 1300+. Anything from 600 and under (including prairie dogs) is just a quick push of the button. I've used several range finders (Bushnell, Nikon, Simmons, Swavorski) and they have all left a lot to be desired however I haven't had any problems at all with my Leica. I highly recommend it.

I have a Bushnell and a Nikon. The bushnell is an expesive high end model and the Nikon is a low end model. The bushnell will not read in a fog, heck it wont read in high humidity. The nikon has never failed me, its my go to range finder. I guess if you only hunt the desert you be ok with the Bushnell but other than that I would look one of the others. A couple friends have Leicas and they say there the best they have ever used.

On a side note if a fellar has deep pockets I've heard tale that Huskemaw Optics will be coming out with a lazer range finder that will trump anything currently available. If it does even half of what I've heard it will do it will be nothing short of amazing. However expect to pay over $1000.00 for it. I expect it will be worth it and I might just have to retire my Leica and buy one.

I have a Leupold RX-IV that was given to me when my dad bought a new one. It isn't worth what it cost me. Very disappointing for a Leupold guy.

Nate

Last edited:
spend good money once and buy a leica. Ursus if your gonna upgrade I'm sure that you would give one of your hunting buddies a really good deal on the leica!!
smile.gif

"The mounds are pretty flat most of the time and there is not a lot of reflective surface...I usually wind up finding a rock or large cactus to get a general distance and any real measurement usually involves walking out to the location of the shot and ranging back to the vehicle/setup..."

Yup. This is what I do a lot. If I am lucky enough to get a really long range shot like the one in my avatar, I find the dog and then range back. In this case it was a big white Dodge truck parked next to my bench. Not much out there to range off of sometimes.

I have two Bushnells and a Nikon. None were reliable for long range, but all do fine for short range (200-400).

For long range consider a Barr and Stroud. Not laser and by no means portable, but it's dead nuts accurate in any conditions and on any size object, and goes out way past any commercially available laser. The cat's meow for long range PDs where you are going to set up a bench/tripods/umbrellas anyway.

Rustydust, that's a heckuva good shot on a p-dog!

Yotezapper, you'd be the first I'd call if I let go of my Leica. Don't get too excited though as I haven't heard the exact price of the Huskemaw yet...might just be too spendy for my bones...supposed to be incredible though.

If you cant afford a leica then I would go with the new leupold rx-1000 tbr. Its a very nice range finder and I have ranged trees as far as 900 yds. The leica has more range and a little better glass but has less features. Either one is nice and I own both. Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tripod3I like my Leica. What about this one. Leica Rangemaster CRF1600 Rangefinder w/ Integrated Intelligent Ballistic Program (40528)

Good to see you around again Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a good deal(under $200) on the Nikon Prostaff 550 at Optics Planet. All it does is tell range out to 550 yards and that's all I've found a need for, so far.
All kidding aside, it reads reliably from about 15 yards to just over 400. With a shotgun and 16" AR, it lets me keep within the effective range of both and that's all I need.

Back