MOJO Puppy Dog Decoy

cawilson, right now, they have only been hunted with by the ProStaff...That is until they hit the market this week. They will be in circulation now, so others will be reporting, I'm sure.

The Critter was sold out of all retail locations & catalog stores last season, and if they have been restocked, then they are indeed the new and improved body.

If you are paying $50 a pop for them, that may be too much.

APCalls has them for the suggested retail of $39.95

http://www.king-cart.com/apc/product=/pr...15/return_page=

I have not yet hunted with the MOJO Puppy... I agree it looks a little different. I hunted an area where a couple of dogs came down the hill and looked at the critter. I made a rash decision and rushed the shot... I guess my blood was pumping since it was my first dog of the year. I want a rematch!

I have already determined that I want to use a different decoy next time. I was thinking about the MOJO Woodpecker since they have seen the critter.

The thing I liked about the coyote on the video was he came in to an easy shotgun shot. No offense Terry.
grin.gif
It definitely confused the coyote and that is what I like...

The ground I hunt is hard and often rocky so the puppy decoy would work good.

I do sometimes use a critter and have had to wrap bailing wire around the pole to hang it upsidedown from a tree limb. Then I got wise and bought a 99cent clamp from Home depot and clamped it to t-bar fence posts at a 45 angle or upsidedown as well off the wire.

This past winter my son donated this stuffed animal dog to make into a mojo pup.

P8240164.jpg

Too funny to see a production model now.

I also find that a QD strap that can tighten down on a sage branch helps to get the mojo up out of the grass and brush.

P8220161.jpg

This base I made is what I use most of the time. The strap above works for when this doesn't. I put it on rocks and in the wind and it stays up.

IMG_8402.jpg

cawilson - how are yours damaged? I don't even use the plastic housing that it comes in. Here's another thread and a photo of the DIY housing.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...976#Post1529976

IMG_8388.jpg

Originally Posted By: sendit223This past winter my son donated this stuffed animal dog to make into a mojo pup.

P8240164.jpg

I like yours better then the production model lol rp

I agree with TT and BTO it would be nice to have some different tops for the critter. I think once they see it and associate being shot at when the critters around it might be time for a change of tops. I tried making one out of feathers and a piece of wire but it just doesnt have the motion of the original on the springy wire.

The MOJO puppy, is a great Idea... as a Hand Call guy... There has been to many times I wish I had something to just tease them alittle bit more, without blowing my calls... lip squeaks, finisher calls, etc... they all pin you down. Being a shotgun only guy, this is huge... Nothing like laying a load of 4buck to the face of a zoned in Coyote.. this just takes me out of the situation. My hand calls still bring them across the desert.. Once they break that 100 yard mark.. I can focus on the trigger now... and the good Lord knows I need all the help I can get come trigger time...lol...

Great Product Guys... awesome idea...

Mike

Originally Posted By: PurePredatorThe MOJO puppy, is a great Idea... as a Hand Call guy... There has been to many times I wish I had something to just tease them alittle bit more, without blowing my calls... lip squeaks, finisher calls, etc... they all pin you down. Being a shotgun only guy, this is huge... Nothing like laying a load of 4buck to the face of a zoned in Coyote.. this just takes me out of the situation. My hand calls still bring them across the desert.. Once they break that 100 yard mark.. I can focus on the trigger now... and the good Lord knows I need all the help I can get come trigger time...lol...

Great Product Guys... awesome idea...

Mike

I have a JS ATTRACTOR that I put next to a decoy when I use one. I have 5 sounds on that and I can turn the sound on if I need it by the remote.

I wonder I haved had a critter for four years without any problems we also have had yotes come in so fast on our critter that we could not get a shot three in ten minutes got one I just got my puppy d from MOJO we will be trying it fri temperture finaly broke here in east texas from 107 down to 68 fri morning I cant wait to try my dog it is an out of the box idea but so was the duck think about it a yote has never seen one of these puppy dogs MOJO PRO staff macandprowler MAC

so after taxes i save about five bucks have to wait afew days for it to show up and hurt a local family owned business that gives me great deals all the time? it would have to be like a thirty dollar difference for me to do that. i'm all for supporting the sponsors and realize they carry alot of gear that alot of places don't offer and when that's the case or a major price difference is involved i'll shop off the net. thanks for the info though

SENDIT223 i've checked your threads out before and you have some innovative thinking goin on there and maybe mojo should hire you. but why even ship something in the plastic housing if your gonna have to do all that to it right out of the box? plus that's another ten or so dollars. kinda like buying a car brand new and having to put a new body on it right off the lot. mojo siad they fixed it so i'm good to go. but many folks don't know if they are getting the new improved or the old ones. and restocking is not gonna be the case cause i doubt mojo recalled the defective ones and store owners don't reorder until they sell out.

Originally Posted By: ibschmidtyTwo thoughts.

One- Why does the puppy look like a stuffed animal you could win at a fair, or one my one year old has in his crib. What's the thinking behind that? Wouldn't it make better sense to have more like a Coyote pup?
Two- I'm not sure I like the idea of a delay sound. I would feel better with more control of volume levels and when the sound is on.

In my opinion, if Mojo wanted to improve a great product like the critter. Put the Critter on a remote, and make it stronger at the base to put into hard ground.(I am still working on a way to fix mine so I can use it this season.)

Also, find a way to adjust the height of the critter when it is stuck in the ground, so you can put it above some brush so it can be seen from all directions.

Just my opinions. Thanks for a great product.

Ibschmidty

I agree 100%. Also they need to make the plastic housing stronger as the 2 TINY screws on the top broke away from the housing.

Last edited:
Here is the way I fixed mine. I made two different ways to use it. Well, three with the original pin. Make a wooden dowel 3/4 inch dia. drill it at one end and JB Weld a pin just like the original in it. Then drill a smooth hole in the other end for the original pin to fit into like the pic. If ground is pretty hard just grab dowel and shove it in ground then put MoJo in hole at top.
Then I made another pin and threaded it just like the original 1/4 x 20 and then JB Welded a solid white nylon bar in it about halfway down. The MoJo then can be threaded onto that pin and you can use your hand or feet on top of the white bar to push it into hard ground. Both these methods are your choice for length. If you have real hige grass etc. make the dowel longer or whatever. My original did not break, I just saw other posts saying they break a lot so I thought I'd beat the odds and fix mine before it happened. Hope this helps somebody.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

Looks great Terry.....Can't wait to see how this Puppy Dog stands up to a Raccoon. The young dog might need a little help from my 12 gauge shotgun.
smile.gif
I don't really want him to take too bad of a whoopin'.

Happy Hunting,

Richie
TBR Outdoors

Originally Posted By: sendit223

cawilson - how are yours damaged? I don't even use the plastic housing that it comes in. Here's another thread and a photo of the DIY housing.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...976#Post1529976

IMG_8388.jpg

That looks like the ticket for when your housing breaks.

As for keeping it from breaking - a cheap travel tripod for a camera will screw onto the bottom and then you don't have to worry about pushing the rod into frozen ground.

Sounds pretty interesting the new Puppy Dog. I love stuff like this and think the puppy whine will be a great sound to finish things off.

Actually I use the pup whine the majority of the time I call with open reed calls. It's a sound that I can easily think of in my head. I also find it a more tolerable sound to hear all day long compared to all rabbit. I started using it a few years ago and coyotes and other critters seem to love it. I also use it more so in tighter quarters because I can't get it as loud as rabbit distress.

Where I live it's very common to have coyote on dog attacks and this will be just the ticket maybe to try and get those guilty yotes back in for some payback.

I'll definately be trying one out because it's just fun to experiment. It'll be a lot easier to carry around than Red and after seeing how they come into my MOJO Critter I'm sure it'll work.

085.jpg

Last edited:
I think an ecaller and a mojo would have the same results. And someone mentioned makin new toppers out of speedo cable. I'm thinkin bout using some turkey feathers to make somethin different for mine. THe puppy just seems like someone is tryin to re-invent the wheel. JUst my .02

I have a turkey feather coming straight off the tip of the line on my Mojo critter, so it has the regular fur strips to give it a little more substance, and the turkey feather gives it a little more height.

It also adds a bit different swirl to it, just looks like a meatier decoy overall, hopefully helping with visibility to the dogs.

Agree, that coyote would have done the exact same thing if they had just the Mojo Critter out there without that carnival stuffed animal.

I personally don't feel the stuffed toy at the bottom makes any difference. I love my Mojo Critter, but will never waste my money on this. And I will tell anyone to save themselves $15 and just stick with the Critter.

I actually thought this was a joke when I saw the video.

Back