How long does it take deer to smell out or find a new bait pile?

lon0121

yesterday i laid out 40 pounds of shelled corn, a few apples some carrots and an acorn mineral lick, i then poured some powdered cmere deer over it lightly!
i set it 15 yards off a trail they have been using.

also how many days or hours does the human scent usualy leave the woods?

thanks guys!
lonnie

Last edited:
I can only speak from what I observed when my son-in-law set out some cracked corn near where his deer stand was in a wooded grove along the MO river a couple of years ago and I used to check on it and the security of his deer stand...

The next day, over half of the corn was gone, within a week, you could not tell any had ever been there... His game trail camera captured deer, skunks, and a whole family of raccoons cleaning it up...

It was replaced and the next week, the same effect...except the raccoons were a lot fatter...He did get a deer though..

i would have gotten it out sooner but i got my appendix taken out a week and a half ago! getting stitches out tomorrow! hopefuly he'll give me the ok to pull my bow back! made my wife help carry the bait down to the treestand!

You be really careful on listening to that doctor...Even though the stitches are out, you can still rip that incision open with very little effort...I've got a couple of dandy long scars to prove it and I was very careful...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleYou be really careful on listening to that doctor...Even though the stitches are out, you can still rip that incision open with very little effort...I've got a couple of dandy long scars to prove it and I was very careful...

i will sir! there is no deer worth enduring the pain of ripped stitches!

thanks

Dont be suprised if its not gone next time you check it. Somtimes it will take them awhile to be comfortable enough to use the bait. Even when they start using it they will be skitish for awhile.

The way human scent effects an area depends alot on the location of that area. One of my bow only stands gets alot of human traffic...I can go in there and put corn out and walk all over the corn and pick my trophy rock up with my hands and they will be in there at the regular times two or three hours later eating corn and licking my trophy rock.

I had the same operation afew years ago. Which way do they do yours the long cut on you side or three smaller cuts?

I busted my stitches open also just rolling around in my sleep. Then when I went to the doctors he ripped the sticky patches off along with taking afew stiches out. You deffiantly dont need to do anything untile you have the ok and you feel good about it yourself.

Try pouring liquid Cmere deer straight on top of your corn pile without diluting it. I am talking about the stuff you are suposed to dilute and spray. It seems to work great for me when I apply it undiluted on the corn.

Originally Posted By: Zack BeamDont be suprised if its not gone next time you check it. Somtimes it will take them awhile to be comfortable enough to use the bait. Even when they start using it they will be skitish for awhile.

The way human scent effects an area depends alot on the location of that area. One of my bow only stands gets alot of human traffic...I can go in there and put corn out and walk all over the corn and pick my trophy rock up with my hands and they will be in there at the regular times two or three hours later eating corn and licking my trophy rock.

I had the same operation afew years ago. Which way do they do yours the long cut on you side or three smaller cuts?

I busted my stitches open also just rolling around in my sleep. Then when I went to the doctors he ripped the sticky patches off along with taking afew stiches out. You deffiantly dont need to do anything untile you have the ok and you feel good about it yourself.

zack,
they gave me 3 small incisions, they put a camera in the 2 smallest holes and made a 2 inch incision over my vaval to remove the appendix. it was 6 hours from bursting they said! i just thought i had the flu with a pulled muscle lol. real intense pain.

Back