best shooting bags/rest/bench??

Trapper Luke

Had a post earlier bout the Caldwell Lead Sled and theres quite a bit of controversy over it. Some like others hate it I wana know what you as a shooter prefer to use when developing loads, zeroing in a scope, practing etc. I dont shoot competition or anything like that so will be mainly using whatever rest/bench I end up getting for the shooting mentioned above.

Thanks,
Luke

Walmart has a set of shooting bags for $20.00 that are pretty good already filled. But if you want a realy good set get leather bags they seem to grip the gun better.I realy like the caldwell front rest but its a little high priced but sometimes you can catch it on sale. But what ever you get make sure you get a rear bag it will really make a difference.

I have some protektor leather bags that I have filled with silica sand and some lead shot.they don't give them away but mine have held up well and should last forever.I have also taken the small cloth bags lead shot comes in and filled those with sand and sealed them with a couple zip ties pulled tight at the top with pliers.the real cloth shot bags are getting a little harder to find but they're still out there.

I went the cheap route, and cut up some old jeans, sewed em up, and filled with sand. They worked well for me when I was sighting in my scope. Not glamorous, but effective.

While I have a Lead Sled for working up loads,,,,Most of my shooting is done off of a Caldwell front rest that Cabela's had on sale for $79 with a leather bag rest that I bought as an option over the cloth/vinyl one that came with it...I have a rear leather 'bunny ear' bag that I don't use very often, as I can place my fist under the gun stock and get just as much control..maybe better...

For years, I used a 'shot' bag filled with sand on top of an metal ammo box and it worked almost as well..just didn't look as nice and once in a while the bag would slide off the box..

"Poor Boys have Poor Ways"

I bought a Caldwell front rest also for the Bench. I filled some old Shot Bags up with Kitty Litter for rear bags. I had originally put some dirt from my yard in them but everytime I dropped them I had dirt like a fine talcum powder come out of them. Also the Kitty Litter cut the weight of them in half.

Some guys fill there Bags up with Airsoft BB's to make them even liter. These guys usually play in the Sniper Tactical matches were you have to carry all of your equipment with you.

In my 66 yrs, I have used them all and I just found out about 5 yrs ago my best way to shoot off a bench. I use the short bi-pod from Harris on the front of the gun and I have that leather bag made up in Potter county Pa. for the rear of the gun. Can't remember the name of that bag and I don't feel like going out to the shop to check.... Can't beat it in my opinion.

Last edited:
heres the best shooting bags that you dont have to buy, couple pair of old jean legs!!
IMG_1477.jpg

Back