"rattling up" coyotes???

canislatrans54

I was just over on youtube, looking under "how to use a predator call". (Trying to find an aswer for a question on another thread.)
wink.gif

And I ran across a set of vidoes made by a guy in Oklahoma who makes predator calls from whitetail antlers. (OK, nothing new there, as many of us do that.)
smile.gif

What caught my attention, was that besides being calls, he says he can also "rattle up" coyotes with these same calls, using them like rattling antlers.
Although he gives demonstrations on at least 3 videos, I have to wonder if the method actually works. He obviously thinks it does!
crazy.gif

Has anyone else ever heard of using antlers to "rattle up" a coyote?
confused.gif

I havent but it just might work.

Bucks fighting draws attention from other deer.

Other deer are watching bucks fight and guard is down.

Maybe coyotes use opportunity to get drop on deer when their attention is distracted?

Might be something to it? Can ya post a link to the vids?

Yes Will, some coyotes will come in and take a look. Seen it before. I have a buddy about an hour south of me that calls in quite a few coyotes each season while using a buck fighting sound while deer hunting.

Maybe they have preyed upon bucks that have been horn locked before.

I also say there are many other sounds I would use before I make a coyote stand using that sound.

Regards
Kelly

Very interesting fella, I was watching the outdoor channel a year or so ago and watched a show where they rattled a coyote up. I can't imagine there is a very high success rate though.

Chaz,
Yeah, while it sounds interesting (& I sometimes like to experiment with oddball stuff), I think I'll stick with actually calling them normally.

I had a old indian friend that uesd to call up coyotes with just a couple of river rocks. He would just bang the rocks together.And the coyotes that did come was just coming out of curoisty.Go figure....

Back