Tikka T3 Lite vs. Sako A7

sebastian slim

Can anyone tell me the differences between the Tikka T3 and Sako A7?

I own a T3 Lite, and have only seen the A7, on T.V. They look about the same. Is the A7 worth the extra $$.

I been wondering the same thing. I have a T3 lite .223 and have been considering a big game caliber in a T3. Would go with the A7 if there is a good reason. Gotta say, it's hard to improve on the T3!

I've been considering one of these also, here is what I've found. The Sako has two different action lengths for short or standard cartridge lengths vs. the Tikka with one size action for all. The Sako has a plastic covered metal bolt shroud vs. the Tikka's completely plastic shroud. The Sako has metal magazine feed lips vs. the completely plastic one of the Tikka. The Sako safety allows you to operate the bolt while ON SAFE vs. the Tikka which must be OFF SAFE to open the bolt. You can load the Sako from the top singly vs. the Tikka which doesn't allow this. One shoots as well as the other, I'm thinking of a Tikka T3 Lite for a truck/utility gun. I can get one from a dealer friend for $510.00 NIB out the door. I have a couple friends that have T3's and they shoot lights out, decent triggers too!

Last edited:
GC, I wonder why they say that Tikka's will not top load? I can drop a shell into the rifle withan empty magazine and load it with no problems. You are not the first to state this however. I have read this before, and wonder why my Tikka has no such probs? I do love my Tikka.. it was out with me today on the tractor...

They are designed to single feed UP from the magazine and coupled with that tiny ejection port it isn't as easy as with most bolt guns - supposedly.
wink.gif

its not easy to single load but I can do it with my t3. So far i'm real happy with it the thing is driving tacks, its cheap, and light. I love sako's but not sure i'd pony up the extra money. I also hate guns that the bolt doesn't lock shut when on safe unless its 3 position. I've almost missed a huge dog when the bolt was slightly open from hiking around.

If I was thinking of getting a sako I would probably go with something older with less plastic. Find a gun with a solid action and slap on an aftermarket barrel if the barrel is burned up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660
If I was thinking of getting a sako I would probably go with something older with less plastic. Find a gun with a solid action and slap on an aftermarket barrel if the barrel is burned up.

I agree. Both are great rifles. I own a T3 and several Sako's. I prefer the older Sako's to the newer ones, but the A7 is a nice rifle. You won't go wrong with choosing a T3 over a Sako. Accuracy is similar in my experience and both are light rifles. But the T3 is a bit lighter. They are close cousins, if not brothers.

I would check around and try to find a Sako Forrester and see what you think. It may be just me, but I love those rifles.

Maybe not in the States, but worldwide, Sako is one of the most respected names in civilian factory firearms. Tikka is the poor man's Sako.

Think of the Savage/Stevens relationship only more upscale.

Most differences have been pointed out but there are a few more. The A7 is sort of a cross between the T3 & Sako 75.
The A7 bolt is very similar to the 75 where the bolt locks closed when on safety but has a second release button to allow loading unloading safely. The t3 requires the safety be taken off.
The A7 has 3 locking lugs like the 75, the t3 has 2. A7 has a 5 shot 1" guarantee, T3 has 3 shot.
A7 has what's called Total Control magazine, This requires upward pressure on the magazine while pushing the release, then it will drop out. Almost a two handed deal. Supposed to reduce accidental mag loss. Pain in the butt to me.
In the hand the A7 feel much better or more solid than the T3 lite. It also comes with Weaver bases mounted.
I think the smaller calibers allow top feeding but as the cases get larger the ejection port is more restrictive.
Last winter they were giving a $250 coat with thee A7. Prices have dropped into the mid $600 range on Gunbroker in the off season.

IMO my Tikka T3 Lite bl/syn in 22-250 is a great gun. But if I were to go with a bigger caliber and wanted to shoot it much I would choose the sako a7 wood or the Tikka T3 hunter wood. The light weight syn stock on my lite would suck IMO with a bigger recoil caliber.

Originally Posted By: jcurtIMO my Tikka T3 Lite bl/syn in 22-250 is a great gun. But if I were to go with a bigger caliber and wanted to shoot it much I would choose the sako a7 wood or the Tikka T3 hunter wood. The light weight syn stock on my lite would suck IMO with a bigger recoil caliber.

yeah when I felt the .223 t3 move a little when I shot i thought .243 must have a good jump to . A hard hitting big game caliber would blow your shoulder off...however its VERY hard to remove weight from a gun. Its easy to add weight with things like lead tape or fishing weights.

I have owned a Tikka T3 lite in .300 WSM since the second year they hit the stores. I mounted a Nikon Monarch 3X9X40 on mine. I can not say one bad thing about the T3. It is a shooter. I have taken my share of big deer here in Buffalo County, Wisconsin with my T3. I don't baby my guns and this one has held up to the piss poor weather conditions during our deer seasons. I would shoot against anyone with my T3. Sgtblu

Same here?

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357GC, I wonder why they say that Tikka's will not top load? I can drop a shell into the rifle withan empty magazine and load it with no problems. You are not the first to state this however. I have read this before, and wonder why my Tikka has no such probs? I do love my Tikka.. it was out with me today on the tractor...

Back