Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1658517 - 08/22/10 03:00 PM Tyvek Suit
LukeW Offline

Loc: Show Low, AZ
I am on a pretty tight budget this year and I need some snow camo. I have seen Tyvek suits used before. They are attractive because they are lightweight, easy on/off, and most of all affordable. My question is are they durable enough if I take resonable precautions where I walk and sit. It doesn't make sense to save $$$ if I'm hacking them up all of the time. If anybody has anything good or bad to say I would appreciate it.

#1658590 - 08/22/10 04:42 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: LukeW]
Jayhawker27 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Kansas
Tyvek suits are generally designed to be worn once and discarded.I've gone through several in a day that didn't involve the rigors of a typical hunting day...the only type I've used that actually stood up were coated and VERY noisy..

A white bed sheet (poncho) and a pillow case (hood) will do a better job. If you have access to a sewing machine (or a wife that can use one) making a pull-over knee-length anorak is about 15 minutes worth of work...just be sure to make it large and loose enough to fit over your gear...

Edited by Jayhawker27 (08/22/10 04:43 PM)

#1658598 - 08/22/10 04:54 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: Jayhawker27]
Black_Wolf Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Who says the commies arent good for nothing?

This suit is prbably built like a tank.

http://www.sovietarmystuff.com/Product_4...iform_Suit.html

#1658603 - 08/22/10 05:15 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: Black_Wolf]
6mm06 Online
PM senior

Loc: USA
A few years ago, I purchased some Tyvek suits that were used for painting automobiles. I think they cost about $6.00 each at the time.

If you stay out of the briars and brambles, a suit will last for several hunts, but they will rip to shreds if you get into briars, brush etc.
If you snow hunt much, you will soon have invested enough money in Tyvek that could purchase a good suit instead.

Another option you might want to consider, is to look around Wal-Mart for some jogging-type clothing. I found some at my local store and got pants and top for around $10. They are more of a nylon and hold up well. I have used them a lot.

The two top photos are the Tyvek suit. I drove past the family farm and it was pouring the snow. I went home and got dressed in the Tyvek and headed back to the farm for some calling. The snow had stopped when I arrived, so I'm whiter than I should have been. But, it still worked with a coyote down.

The Tyvek does blend well, though, when in a lot of snow.

This next photo shows the Wal-Mart jogging suit. It has some black on the sides, and a black
stripe down the legs of the pants, but still works very well. Best of all, it was cheap and it's durable.

I now wear a Prairie Ghost parka, but still wear the Wal-Mart pants as a cover up.

#1658607 - 08/22/10 05:20 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: Jayhawker27]
youngdon Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: AZ
jayhawker.... REALLY??
A white bed sheet (poncho) and a pillow case (hood) will do a better job. If you have access to a sewing machine (or a wife that can use one) making a pull-over knee-length anorak is about 15 minutes worth of work...just be sure to make it large and loose enough to fit over your gear... [/quote]

You may want to think this suggestion through a little farther !!
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,which would include their own government." George Washington

#1658624 - 08/22/10 05:48 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: youngdon]
Bear Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Colorado USA
I went to Harbor Freight and got a white canvas painters drop cloth, It makes 2 large ponchos and is heavy enough to stop cold wind. They will suprise you on how warm they are. I think I gave 15/20 bucks and it made 2 ponchos.

#1658638 - 08/22/10 05:58 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: Bear]
yfzduner450 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: West Jordan, Utah
I don't think tyvek suits would hold up great. I think they would snag and fall apart. I like the canvas idea for a cheap winter camo. You could even spray paint it alittle to break it up.

#1658641 - 08/22/10 06:07 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: yfzduner450]
littletoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Upper NE Corner of Washington ...
I've used tyvek numerous times, either in full snow, or in sage brush, and we weren't overly careful.

You can hit 'em with a bit of spray paint now and again to match what other backgrounds you want too.

it's [beeep] to grow old......it's [beeep] not too

#1658657 - 08/22/10 06:49 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: littletoes]
LukeW Offline

Thanks guys. The jogging suit is a good idea. I was @ Kmart today and saw white hooded sweatshirts. Warm even if it dosen't do anything for water repellency.

#1658658 - 08/22/10 06:50 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: littletoes]
Adam L Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Ontario Canada
Not sure if you have any army surplus stores down around your way but you can get real tough oversized pants and a jacket all white for around 30 bucks. Both the jacket and the coat have re-inforced slits to let you access all your pockets. They seem to be made out of a nylon ripstop material. Burrs dont stick to them and the snow just beads off.

#1658697 - 08/22/10 07:48 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: Adam L]
LukeW Offline

I just Goggled military surplus snow and found all kinds of stuff on the cheap.

#1658703 - 08/22/10 07:54 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: LukeW]
borkon Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: minnesota
like others have said, the do work well but fences tear em up. i also use some nylon jogging pants. stay away from cotton though (sweats pants/sweaters) they can get wet and heavey

winner of the first annual Coyotehunter.net Tournament Series

#1658722 - 08/22/10 08:25 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: youngdon]
Jayhawker27 Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: youngdon
jayhawker.... REALLY??
A white bed sheet (poncho) and a pillow case (hood) will do a better job. If you have access to a sewing machine (or a wife that can use one) making a pull-over knee-length anorak is about 15 minutes worth of work...just be sure to make it large and loose enough to fit over your gear...

You may want to think this suggestion through a little farther !! [/quote]

Probably ought not to go into the bad part of town wearing this get up....

#1658726 - 08/22/10 08:32 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: Jayhawker27]
KAG Offline
Die Hard Member II

I think Sportsman guide still sells the German surplus snow camo ponchos for like $12. I used the same one for like 3 years before it wore out.

#1658819 - 08/22/10 10:03 PM Re: Tyvek Suit [Re: KAG]
Recko555 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Iowa
I have used them and they work. They cause a bit of noise when moving, but nothing I was worried about. I went through two Tyvek suites last winter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.