H 380 powder in .243

tbird

Hi, from a new guy on the forum. Im not new to shooting or hunting though, been doing it for bout 40 years or so now. Been watching this forum for a while, seen some good stuff here.. I do have a question for some of you pros. Why is it that hardly anyone comments on using H380 powder in their .243 loads? I've been shooting an 85 gr sierra BTHP over bout 42 gr for years, no pressure signs and less than an inch groups...and Im from south ms. its pretty hot down here. Someone tell me what im doing wrong, and why.... thanks

Welcome to the Forum!! You will find a wealth of info and a bunch of knowledgable people here!

H-380 & 55 grain Sierra BlitzKings work well for me.

If I'd have discovered these first, there would be no reason for me to own a .220 Swift.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Under an inch? Sounds like you're doing just fine!

Their site lists:
85 GR. BAR XBTC (closest I could find to the HPBT in 85gr.)
Hodgdon H380
.243"
2.560"
40.0 grains (start load)
2967 fps
43,400 CUP
43.0 grains (MAX load)
3134 fps
48,800 CUP

I have two cans of H380, but in my opinion there are better powders available for the 243. H380 can be temp sensative and is dirty in the barrel. I would look to powders that are not sensative to temperatures. Just my opinion.

The Chef

Originally Posted By: chefpierreI have two cans of H380, but in my opinion there are better powders available for the 243. H380 can be temp sensative and is dirty in the barrel. I would look to powders that are not sensative to temperatures. Just my opinion.

The Chef

+1, I've never used it in the .243 but did for awhile in the .308 and found I didn't care all that much for it overall. Cool thing is there are lots of choices.

Originally Posted By: xmineratH-380 & 55 grain Sierra BlitzKings work well for me.

55gr SBKs are the only .243 bullets I've loaded with H380........

Ha Ha Ha! Shooting less then 1" group's. Ya, thats the first thing I would do, change your recipe.
lol.gif
Welcome!

I hunted with a guy and I knew of several guys that used H380 with the 85g BTHP in the Predator calling clubs. Loads were right up there at a max load and we never knew what "temp sensitive" was, we just killed a lot of yotes.

ackley,
Was that in California and Mexico? Probably didn't matter all that much there would it?

Nope, just keep the gun loaded.

We hunted N. Nevada in the Winter, and it was shore nuff cold there...we often hunted in Snow Mobile Suits.

Cold temps in Ca was down in the low 30's, same for Mountains in Mexico, South of Nogalas.

Shots on Predators for us were usually 225 and under with a vast majority of the shots 150 and under.

My favorite load was a 60g Sierra HP out of a custom 6 Rem at 4000 fps loaded with 50g of Win 760...another temp sensitive powder....rarely, rarely ever missed...running shots are another lie altogether.

I reloaded H380 for years for a 22-250 and 7mm/08 I worked up loads that were accurate and showed no signs of pressure, used these for hunting. Then I started shooting High power Silhouette with another 7mm/08 summer came and when It got hot 110 and my ammo had been in the direct heat the pressure rose quick during a match my bolt became stiff to open so I started looking at primers and they were cratered I shot a few more and the bolt got hard. I quit. then went back to the reloading bench. I now shoot Varget no pressure problems ever "for me" and it even shoots more accurate in my 22-250. If I never shot in the extreme heat I would have never noticed it and would be shooting H380.
Sparky

Back