Need Advice....Reloading for a .325 WSM

Fireball221

Ok, here is the situation. I have a Winchester Model 70 in .325WSM Because there are only about 5 factory ammunition options for this particular caliber and 4 of them are Winchester and the other being the custom Nosler ammo, I would like to reload for this caliber. Only 2 of the 5 factory ammo rounds shoot accurately out of my firearm, the Winchester Supreme 200 grain accubond ammo and the NEW Winchester XP3 in 200 grain as well. I have harvested two bull elk, one whitetail and a mule deer buck with the 200 grain accubond factory ammo but was not impressed with the bullet, small entrance hole and small exit hole every time. I like how the XP3 ammo is performing at the range and will test it out this hunting season on mule deer and elk but I would like to start reloading for this expensive caliber. SO.....

I have Winchester large rifle magnum primers, two different bullet types, 200 grain nosler partions which I love these bullets in other calibers I shoot and some Remington 185 pointed soft points, I have my brass but would like advice on powder for this caliber and possibly any loads you all like if you shoot this caliber. Any other tips are greatly appreciated, lets just stick to reloading though..HAHA

i think for those weights a load of H-4350 or IMR-4350 should be a good place to start. In an similar wildcat these two powders provided both the highest velocities and lowest SD for me.
John

"I have harvested two bull elk, one whitetail and a mule deer buck with the 200 grain accubond factory ammo but was not impressed with the bullet, small entrance hole and small exit hole every time."
sneaky2.gif

Just what exactly are you expecting from a big game bullet?
confused.gif

Sounds like it preformed as advertised.

Last edited:
When you start reloading, you might try 220gr Woodleigh bullets for Elk. It dumped mine like I had turned the switch off. Powder I like to use Ramshot Hunter. The 200gr bullets don't seem to shoot as accurate as the heavier bullets in my Browning.

Last edited:
Justin10mm, how many elk have you harvested? The reason I ask is that you can read about what bullets do or don't do but until you have actually observed for yourself, then you can't really say much about my experiences. Not getting personal with you, I am a big Nosler fan but the accubond in my experiences to date do not perform like the Nosler partition bullets which have really done a great job putting animals on the ground quicker than the accubonds.

Bigdog2, I really want to stick to the 185 to 200 grain range for this rifle, just a personal choice for me. This rifle shoots great groups even with the heavy factory trigger but I just had a trigger job done on it and am confident that this will help tighten up the groups a little more. I am looking more for recommendations in powder and proven bullets like Barnes Triple shock etc from folks, I will give the Ramshot powder a look. THANKS!

Back