Barrel upgrade options for my old Rem 1100?

wahoowad

I have an 20 year old Remington 1100 with a 28" modified choke barrel that shoots 2 3/4" shells. I'm considering bringing it along on coyote stands to complement whichever rifle I take along. What would be an economical additional barrel to purchase? And am I correct in assuming the 2 3/4" shell situation cannot be changed for this gun, or would a 3" capable barrel allow me to shoot 3" shells?

Thanks!

I don't think the 3" ammo would function through the 2 3/4" receiver. Some barrels have stamped on them "for magnum receivers only".

Why don't you try the barrel you have first with some large shot loads you'd be shooting at yotes, like #4 buck? The modified choke might do a good job with those. Just pattern them and find the maximum range you'd get a good number of hits and don't shoot past that range.
Then use the 1100 for a while and save up for a 3" gun later instead of spending the cash on a 2 3/4" barrel.

Last edited:
Even if you find a 3 in barrel for your 1100 it would cost what you can buy a used gun for. My buddy just bought a 26in 870 supermag that was only a year old for $250.00. 1100 hundred 3 in barrels are not very common.

Cabela's lists new 1100 barrels on the following link... You're looking a $200 for a 20-21 inch with a cantilever scope mount and Rem-Choke...You need to read the warning that goes with the barrel about using magnum ammo..
1100 Barrel Page

I was asking about shotguns, barrels, etc. at my local gunshop. The gunsmith said he could modify my existing barrel and install a full choke for $95. I could then buy other chokes as needed for $15. What do you think of this as an option? Are after-market chokes like this OK?

I have a Winchester 1300 pump that had a full cylinder bore for close range work and had it tapped and threaded with a modified choke installed and it works great...sure increased my scores on the range. Note the black choke on the end of the barrel..The second black area behind the choke is a snap on green fiber optic sight..

Winchester1300RightSide.jpg

As long as your old barrel is good on the inside, you should be good to go....If you are going to use it for Coyotes, you might want to discuss with your gun smith about the feasibility of cutting down the length for easier close quarters handling, as a 28" barrel can be a little cumbersome for fast movement in brush...and using a modified and full choke set up...

This is my "do all" shotgun. I primarily intend to shoot coyotes with a rifle, just considering bringing the shotgun for close shots but see the rifle as the primary. Also would use this shotgun for rare rounds of skeet/trap at my new gun club.

Wahoo,

Google Mike Orlen. He is the man to go to as far as shotguns go. Im certain his pricing is similar to your gunsmith, only difference is Mr. Orlen does shotgun barrels for a living.

Have him shorten the barrel and have him install Remington chokes. Stay well clear of aftermarket tubes. They are fine and work, but they are not an industry standard. More than likely they will be Colonial Tubes. You cant just walk in any store and buy them like you can remington tubes.

when I get a couple more things I will be taking my 1100 as is, with the 28 inch barrel. This is how I have shot it many times, why change what your already used to?

t/c223encore.

Catkiller is right. I have a JC Higgins pump chambered in 2 3/4. I wanted to put a 3 in barrell on it , my gunsmith said that the reciever would not cycle the shells.

Back