SPOTLIGHT FOR HUNTING AT NIGHT

Nucleartech

OKAY, FOR YOU FOLKS THAT CAN HUNT COYOTES AT NIGHT, WHAT IN YOUR OPINION IS THE BEST SPOTLIGHT MADE FOR DOING SO?GUESS I SHOULD MAKE MYSELF A LITTLE MORE CLEAR, NOT ONE THAT ATTACHES TO YOUR RIFLE.

Last edited:
ill post here also. Right now my favorite is the sniper hawg lights destroyer. But like I said this MY favorite the light has to work with your style hunting and everyone has a light that works good for their needs. Do some research and see what you think will work best for your needs

I use a Nite-Lite Hot Lite Pro. Its like a coon hunters light with a red filter attached to a soft cap (or hardhat if you prefer) keeps your hands free and shines wherever you look. Just got the destroyer gun light and have great expectations for it. The Coleman Led flashlights mentioned on another thread are great little lights for the money also. Depends on your needs as far as range, brightness etc.

Kevin

I have cycled through a bunch of lights. Attempting this or that, and I keep coming back to a Lightforce of one type or the other. I have refined the Lightforce products down to using the Lightforce 140 Lance with a Boondocker Silent Hood, it is pistol grip hand held. The beam spreads open enough to be a great scanning light(red filter), it is way more than enough intensity and has plenty of reach. Battery and rheostat pack over the shoulder bag. Smaller than their 170, so it is not as cumbersome. The 170 is great for Texas Highchair hunting, where it is fixed/attached, but here we have to carry everything around by hand, no highchairs allowed.

Just my opinion

I've had my share of lights,too! A new Destroyer in red just arrived, and I think it will be useful for certain applications. For sheer volume and distance, Lightforce and Magnalights have it hands down in their price range! I've been using a Smartlight for scanning for the past year, instead of the LF Walkabout, just because it keeps my hands free, and saves about seven pounds of walkaround weight. I won't sell the Lightforce Walkabout though! I still use it some, for long range spotting.
It boils down to your style of hunting and your terrain and distances. If you go with the LF or Magnalight, buy a halo shield from Boondock Outdoors for it.....you won't be sorry!
F1

Here's two of ours.

012.jpg

012-1.jpg

Clint

I start with a old Q-Beam light. Remove the Q-Beam bulb and switch for they don't last very long due to the high heat.
I replace the wireing as well. I use HD A/C light core for the new wireing put in a new HD switch a long with the 4537 bulb. Place a coffe can over the end of the light. And use a Q-Beam red filter and We found over the years that the A/C plugs and wall shockits work the best they don't burn up or come unpluged. There we're done. You have a light that will last for a very long time. Hope this helps,any question just ask.

Clint

I like the cheap Vector 1M candlepower spotlights I got at Walmart for like $10. A friend of mine put me onto them. We have both used and abused them and they take it well.

I got a Cyclops 2.5M candlepower light from basspro fro like $25 and don't really care for it. The shape of the spot sucks and it is extremely small. The spill isn't very bright so unless you see them with the tight spot you are probably going to miss them.

What kind of burn time should I expect to get out of the lightforce 140 with shoulder battery pack? Think that is a better way to go then the portable drill battery deal. A bit more weight and ba to carry but if the battery craps out then your done.

Unfortunately we can't hunt yotes with a light here in Liberalchusetts. But as an old time coonhunter I can tell you that if we could I would opt for a Wheatlight. High and low beam, adjustable spot, rechargeable, excellent battery life, battery worn on a belt, can be either cap or bbl mounted, optional red or amber pop lenses and very well made.
While there are a number of good choices out there, after using one (the same one) for well over 35yrs I'm a believer. You'll find the hand held model on just about every fire engine in the country.
One of the most versatile lights I've ever found. The quality is tough to beat too. JMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: seacowboyWhat kind of burn time should I expect to get out of the lightforce 140 with shoulder battery pack? Think that is a better way to go then the portable drill battery deal. A bit more weight and ba to carry but if the battery craps out then your done.

It all depends upon how long your sets are and how you use the dimmer control. You can get a bigger battery (12 volt, 10 amp-hour) vs the 8 amp-hour that Lightforce provides, and it will fit inside their pack, it's only about 1/4 inch bigger, and it will give you a bit more time. I'm sending you a pm........

John

Back