Vortex Viper

I've looked at them and will probably be buying one for the new recently purchased rifle I just bought. I've looked at lesser models and they were really clear. All I have heard was good except from the people that buy Nightforces. LOL I think they should be good scopes for the $$$. Mid-way has the 6.5X20 for around $400.00.

Tested a Viper about a year or so ago and was pleasantly surprised. It's a pretty good scope for the money. I've seen a few people saying their right up there with Sightron's SIII and Zeiss's Conquest. Having used all three, I'd say that's a bit of a exaggeration. But overall, I thinks is a good scope and would have no problem owning one.

If they are the one's made in the Philippines then it should be a decent optic although I have read a lot of mixed reviews on the Vortex brand and personaly shy away from them.
Heck, they even offer an ffp tactical longe range scope for under a grand but just like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for in the end.

Koh, Id like to know where you read the bad reviews at so I can go read them. What model was it about? Not doubting you at all, I just like to read reviews about products I own or intend to own, and havent seen the ones you speak of on any forum or magazine I read.

I have heard of a few problems with the Crossfire models turrets, but they've redesigned it now and fixed that issue. I have yet to read a negative post/review on a Viper though.
I have 4 of them also(6.5-20x50's), and have gotten atleast another 8-10 for friends who have liked mine. Everyone of them are very clear,and track absolutely perfect. I have ran mine from 100yds up to 900 yds, everywhere inbetween, and back to 100yds during some prarie dog trips and have had no issues at all.

I highly recommend them, and at that price range they are hard, if not impossible, to beat. They also have a 100% guaranteed lifetime warranty(know a guy who dropped his gun out of the tree. It landed on and broke the scope. He sent it in and Vortex gave him a new one, no questions asked. And he told them how it happened.)

I compared this scope(actually all 4 of mine) to 2 different Sightron SIII's and a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24.
-Comparing to an older 6-24x50 SIII, the Vortex blew it away in clarity and brightness. It wasnt even close.
-Comparing to a 8-32x56 SIII, the Vortex is just as clear at all powers and ranges, but not quite as bright IMO. I kinda expected the 8-32 SIII to be brighter though due to the bigger bell. I actually just sold the 6-24 SIII not long ago and replaced it with another Viper.
- There was no comparison IMO between the Viper and the Elite 4200. The Viper blew it away in every aspect. Mainly the lack of adjustment in the Elite.

I will say though that the tracking on all the scopes I tested here have been perfect. So basically if you want something brighter you can buy a new SIII, or you can take the same amount of money and buy 2 Vipers!

If there are better scopes than the Vortex Vipers at anywhere close to their selling prices, I want to see them myself! Compared to the Sightron Big Sky and SII's, Bushnell Elites, Leupolds and Nikons that are anywhere close in price, I just have not seen any of these that I would buy over the Vortex Vipers. Build quality is better than the Sightron Big Sky and SII series, especially fit and finish. Clarity is excellent and operation is equal to scopes at much higher price points. I simply can not see any negatives to the Vortex Viper series. Great warranty, super company, even better optics. No-brainer for me personally. Can't wait for the new Viper PST's to finally get released! Vortex is really setting the rifle optics world on its ear and for good reason too. I have zero experience with their Crossfire and Diamondback series, but the Viper and Razor are almost without peer. I love it when a company actually listens to its intended audience and comes thru while the other manufacturers sit and wonder what just happened to their market share
smile.gif

"Build quality is better than the Sightron Big Sky and SII series"

Yes and No. While the Vipers are good scopes that track well. In box testing I've done, the Sightron SIII, Big Sky, and SII (all three have the same internal tracking parts) have more precise tracking then the Viper. Now to be fair, the Viper tracked well, just not as good as those three sightrons models. The glass in the Viper is better then the SII. After seeing them side by side several times, I'd say the Viper and Big Sky are a wash optics wise. While both the Viper and Big Sky have good glass, they both are not what I'd call excellent glass. You don't get a $1000 quality in a $400 scope.

Didn't compare them to SIII's
wink.gif
Still fit and finish on the Sightron scopes does leave a little to be desired, IMO. Great scopes no doubt, but Vortex has really came up with a line up of scopes that is just getting better with each new addition/revision. They seem to ask questions, take them to heart and then build a great scope with one of the best warranties in the business.

I can't wait for the new Viper PST line. Much better reticle options than anyone even close to the price points, and from everything that I have read, almost as good as the Vortex Razor in almost every way, but obviously not built to that standard of excellence. If they meet the pre-release hype they will blow the top off this segment of the scope market, IMO.

The Viper PST line is a very good product. its way better than its price point suggest. I have no knowledge of the non-PST line.

i have the viper also and love it as stated
clear tracks well great buy. ive had a PST on order for 4 months or so cant wait for it to finally come in.
also i have the vortex diamond back also a very good scope

Camera Land NY has the 6.5-20x44 on sale right now for 249.00.
I bought one before this deal came out and it is a great scope. Wish I could afford another. Go to cameralandny.com

Originally Posted By: rdsii64The Viper PST line is a very good product. its way better than its price point suggest. I have no knowledge of the non-PST line.
The PST has just barely started to ship, and although it was strongly hyped, there have been several issues come up. One is the timelines for delivery which continue to get pushed back. I have also heard of some concerns with the internals and glass.

Now I haven't used one myself, so I won't bash a product I don't personally use. But it is another thing to say that this is their best line of products. There have been some very good reviews on several models that have been around for awhile, including the viper and razor.

I'm planning on getting a Viper myself to see if they are indeed as good a value as I have heard.

The PST's are available as SFP and FFP scopes first of all. If we are talking about the FFP version, you really have to ask yourself if you need or want this type of scope first off.

The only issues that I heard about with regards to either of the Viper PST series other than an extended wait due to one defect that is being addressed, is the softness of the turret clicks vs other tactical scopes of higher prices and Vortex is fixing this issue. I have heard zero reports of the glass being suspect from any one on the Sniper's Hide forums or SWFA Optics forums (or any other large optics related discussion forums). If you expect Night Force glass quality then you might be disappointed, but other wise it is a great design with an excellent reticle.

Many shooters that are not familiar with first focal plane (FFP)scopes may find that the fact that the reticle "seems" to increase in size with higher and higher magnification as turn-off. The plus is that you can range distance at any scope power very accurately with this type of scope and reticle system.

Again I have heard zero problems with their glass and as a multiple Viper owner, think that the Vortex products are one of the best values on the market especially when you add in their great warranty and the fact that their customer service is the best on the planet!

The SFP scope is a great deal IMO, factoring in a superb reticle design, excellent build quality that Vortex is known for and what has propelled them to the forefront of optics over the past few years. They would have never been in a situation where everyone is complaining about the extended delay for these products if their base of customers were not excited about them, based upon previous efforts. Vortex is a great optics company that actually listens to their customers wants and works to provide the best at the price again IMO at this point in time. Their Razor optics line is superb and has proven to be a wonderful scope for those that are searching for a tactical scope with the features that it offers. The future for Vortex looks to be good,once they get past this little hiccup. The truth will be in the pudding, but from all of their past efforts, once the Viper PST series is finally released, I will own at least one in the 6-24X50!

Just wanted to add a little bit to the conversation here.

Back