what draw weight you guys workin with?

Been shooting at 55-58lbs for the last 8yrs. Use to be at 65-70lbs. At 55-58lbs if you have good sharp broadheads have not had a deer that stopped the arrow from 20-45yds. It don't get hung up on bow draw weight.

back in the days of my youth I figured that the heavier the draw weight the better, and wound up buy a bow that was supposedly 70 pounds but actually it bottomed out at 80 some odd pounds.

I couldnt hit squat with it because my arms were to tired after 8 or 10 shots, totaly missed a double stacked ecelsior bale at 30 yards, after that I got smart and traded it in for a bow I could handle and for got the macho junk, LESSON LEARNED.

Now that I have a brain I shoot a 60 pound high country and its pie to shoot with, its quiet and handels great, plus I can shoot more than 10 arrows before I have to get my shoulders put back in socket.

Just look at what the indians had to work with, I guess no more than 35/40 pounds, like ya'll said, shot placement is everything.

I've always run between about 58 and 63 lbs on my bows. Don't recall whether you said if you were shooting aluminum or carbon arrows, but I shoot heavy 9 grn/inch carbons now and at 20 yards I've lost a couple arrows that did their job and sailed right through. You should have no problems with quality fixed blade broadheads at that poundage. Stay away from mechanical heads until you gain some poundage.

my pse is listed at being 265 fps and 257 fps at 29 inch draw. its set at 60 pounds, its quiet and can butter right through a deer!

33" draw, wow.

I'm 6'1 and have pretty long arms, I shoot a 30" draw, you must have some really long arms.

I don't think I've ever sold a bow with that draw length. But that was quite a few years back.

Hoyt Alpha Max 32 set at 77 lbs shooting 25 1/4" Easton Axis Full Metal Jackets at a chronographed 305 feet per second. Total arrow weight is 405 grains. This produces about 83 ft lbs of kinetic energy. I prefer the extra zip this set up gives me since my primary quary is Elk and this year I have a much coveted Bull Moose tag for Wyoming. Nice to be on the high end of the energy charts for large heavy boned animals in case you creep the shoulder too much. This set up will absolutely blow right through a direct shoulder hit on a deer or antelope size critter. Usually get pass throughs on elk when the shot is far enough back to miss the shoulders. Last two bull Elk I killed I had a slight quartering away shot and both broadheads lodged in the off side shoulder. Light weight will always do the job on deer size animals with a sharp broadhead and good shot placement. If all I ever hunted was deer size animals there is no way I would shoot at 77 lbs.

Last edited:
Back