What was your fist call you killed a predator with?

My dad had an old reel to reel back in the late 60s and he just went out on moonlit winter nights and watched what would respond. I tried it out in 69 . I took it out in the moonlight and called a red fox in in less than a minute. Shot gun , he was mine. Fast forward to a month ago.....got my first coyote called with TT howler and buffalo horn tip distress. Moonlight,prone on snow drift,190 yards , .204 Dtech. Kings,Howa ,Hornady,Simmons..
thumbup.gif
..or sorry....I watch too much Predator Quest. Lots of years in between and stands made. I have only been serious with coyotes for the last few years. Three to the call , one killed , one wounded and tracked for 1 1/2 miles ,stopped bleeding and lost trail with too many other deer and coyote tracks , and the first one I was too astonished to make the shot. The first and last coyote would not stop for a shot no matter how I wooofed or barked.....the videos all show nice standing shots.....guess practice will have to involve something moving. Jim

At first I thought you wanted to know which call got one in for the first time regardless of whether or not it was killed, then I read the "killed" and "bobcat/coyote" part.

Primos Cat-Nip for me.

Johnny Stewart Predator after several attempts on my own i went on a killing streak for reds. It only takes once to get hooked. There is nothing like it.
Now i have a Syco that needs some blood on it. We had great success with it last year but i wasn't behind the call for those hunts. Looking forward to this season.

I used a Lohman cassette caller with a high pitched cottontail distress tape that my uncle had made and used. Called in a coyote and I was hooked from then on. Still have that cassette player somewhere around here....

Circe .

I had it for over 35 years and never used it, until three years ago when i called in a coyote and shot it on the very first hunt and first stand . called in and shot two more in the next 3 stands , it was a very lucky first hunt . Nothing has come close to that trip. That first coyote look about 45 sec to call in and shoot once i sat down !!
smile.gif

Last edited:
P. S. Olt T-20 long range predator call given to me by an uncle in 1970. Blasted a called in Coyote at about 10 yards with Grampa's Crescent firearms .16 gauge single shot and a load of #8 shot. Was hooked then for sure.

Back