Upcoming Dove Season

KAG

Thought this might be a good time to share tips and such. For me we shot a bunch of skeet off the back deck this week end. Each of boys has a Bennelli 12g pump. They are nice shooters, I actually think they shoot nicer than my Mossberg.

Figure opening day we will be shooting 8's with an improved cylinder.....thoughts?

Originally Posted By: KAGThought this might be a good time to share tips and such. For me we shot a bunch of skeet off the back deck this week end. Each of boys has a Bennelli 12g pump. They are nice shooters, I actually think they shoot nicer than my Mossberg.

Figure opening day we will be shooting 8's with an improved cylinder.....thoughts?

Rock on, sounds like a plan.

I think u will have more sucess with 7's with a modified choke. Just my oppion. I hav had a lot of sucess with that combo

Last year I used a light modified choke with #8 Heavy Dove Loads. I'll be shooting Remington Nitro 27's this year, since they have a $2/box rebate going now (Winchester has the same with the AA's), I've been stocking up. Then when I get ready to start reloading, I'll have plenty of hulls.

I'll shoot 7.5 or 8 and a improved or modified choke depending on the distance they are coming in at. I find the light modified to be the best of both worlds.

I should have a Mojo Dove and some decoys here tomorrow. Those Mojo's work really well, I saw that last year with a friends. I got a dove whistle too, just to try. I'm a little skeptical if it will change anything, but it was pretty inexpensive.

Yeah brother the whistle does add realism to ur spread, plus it add somthing for u to do while u r waitin. The mojos r friggin deadly and fun to. As far as loads and chokes its " to each is own" so good luck brother.

I have a couple of motorized Mojo's and abut 30 ground stake / clip-on's decoys we are going to put out in a sunflower field that's getting cut next weekend. Never actually even used the motorized Mojo's but I bought them earlier this year because I heard many good things about them. We will see.....

The doves are sure in the area now both White-wings and Mourning are everywhere.The Mojo's while not magic sure do work well enough that I keep a couple around and use them about half the time.I usually start with 8's then go to 7 1/2's when they get skittish but since I am going to try a 28ga. this year I am starting with 7 1/2's
thumbup1.gif
.Yellowhammer and his son Hunter are coming over again the 1st weekend this year so I am looking forward to September.
thumbup.gif

I will be going for the first time this year! Only tips I have got so far is....

1. Lots of shells
2. It's a blast
3. Lots of shells lol

I guess we may be shooting a lot of holes in the sky???

Well been going every opening day for years except when deployed or stationed where they were not any and I agree lots of shells is a must.

A friend swears they come out of the east with the rising sun but I can never remember to pay attention if they do or not. I think its more dependent on their roost site. I plan to go out this weekend and sit and see where they are coming in at on a couple of the freshly cut sunflower fields. We have a pretty decent group group going this year....should be fun. Only new things I plan to try is those motorized mojo's.

We're planning on bringing the Mojo Dove, just have to try and keep the guys from shooting it this year! And the trusty 20 gauges...I comandeered the Benelli when the hubby got it because it's nice and light, he's got the 870 ready to go. I don't know how it is other places, but windmills and ponds are the best spots to be here in NE. Main thing I'm excited about is trying out our Lab for the first time. He does great with dummies, remains to be seen how he transfers it to birds this year. He was fetching up ducks as big as he was last year, not sure if he remembers it though. God can't wait for Sept. 1st to get here! I love dove hunting, means duck season is right around the corner!!

Last edited:
I don't have a Mojo, but the closest Gander mountain had the Edge Expidite flapping wing motorized dove for $6, and I picked one up to go with my other dove decoys.
I've got a cut corn field 40 yards from my house, but am seeing very very few doves so far.
Best of luck to everyone, and BE SAFE.

Shayne

We all bring spray painted 5gal buckets.....carry stuff to field in them, sit on them while there, then carry our stuff and dove out in them....I know, cheap but it works.

Lots of doves for the moment. Mournings are pouring in and out of the thrashed barley fields right now. We've got 50 to 80 Eurasions fighting the chickens for the chicken scratch by the chicken house as well. My partner and I plan to use some decoys in a flyway to a wild sunflower patch near his house on opening day for thye mourning doves and thin the herd by the chicken coop on the second day.
Since Wyoming does not recognize the Eurasian as an indigenous species? we could start on them in the morning, however, in the face of fair chase rules we will wait until Sept. 01-02.

Arkensaw even has a season on the Eurasions. Only during regular dove season, but with no bag limit. Lots of our game laws don't make sense.

Shayne

YH57: When our regular dove season does start? each Eurasian dove shot counts toward your limit, even though it is not recognized game bird in Wyoming. Guess they want to remove any doubt when your hunting about "what kind of dove it was". To me its like comparing shooting down an SST(mourning dove) or a prop plane(eurasion).

I'll be using the 20GA, modified choke(Rem 870) low base 7 1/2s or 8s. If it gets real crazy? I'll migrate to the 12GA, modified choke(Rem 870), low base 7 1/2s or 8s.

Been seeing quite a few but not huge numbers so far here. If a nice day or two of cold weather up north could be had it would drive some good numbers down. Still possible to be had with 10 days left before opening day. I do not think in real life I have ever seen a Eurasian dove but in KS that season opens Nov 20th.

Last edited:
If and I mean IF there are any doves, I'll either shoot my 410 double barrel or my Browning "sweet 16". Just want to have a little fun.

Shayne

As the group of guys going continues to slowly grow here. One of my co-workers wants to go but does not have a shotgun and my two extras are already spoken for. I offered to let him use my muzzle loading shotgun. He thinks this is just great and will be fun and is really excited about using a muzzle loading shotgun to hunt Doves with. Its a Knight TK2000 12ga, so he comes over today and I show it to him and how to load it with powder, shot, and primer. I tell him I shoot it about twice a year during Turkey season and he asks why. I tell him just cause.....

He then leans out off the deck and fires it at a target on my 25yd pistol range........he lets out a loud groan afterward and now knows why I shoot it twice a year....most painful shoulder fired weapon I have ever shot. He called me from Walmart where he bought a 20ga Remington....too funny.
smile.gif

Well, I got a package from the FEDS today. Longer ago I volunteered to do a wing survey for mourning doves from the first five days, or, first two hunts of this year.

The intent is to see how many young of the year are being taken. I found that out when I got the package.

MY assessment is they want reduce the bag limit and seasons.

Guess I'll co-operate though, since I did volunteer.

Back