While we are talking about Pac-Nor.....

RRA223

Ive been thinking of having them rebarrel a rifle or two for me on a 700 short action and this will be my first custom type rifle of any kind. Probably go with a 243AI and or a 22-250AI. My question is what kind of accuracy are you Pac-Nor guys getting after a rebarrel job on an otherwise stock factory action when using a good glassed in stock and good aftermarket trigger? Im looking for a rifle to shoot a lot better than MOA after spending this type of dough, more like half MOA or better.

I've a couple of their barrels, but PN did not do the smith work, which is another big factor in accuracy. Both shoot well.

I'd not hesitate to go with PN.....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI'd not hesitate to go with PN.....

I would not be afraid to give them a try. I've a lot of "internet friends" who have used them and liked them. Guys whose opinions I trust....

You'll be pleased with PN.

I have (2) PN barrels, one on a .17rem and the other on a .223ai and both shoot some impressive groups. Both are pencil thin barrels.

Originally Posted By: BrentWinI have a couple of Pac Nors and I would say that if you can shoot 1/2 MOA the barrel can.

Couldn't have said it better!!!!!!

Here's my humble collection of rifles weraing P-N barrels.
They were all installed by them as well. They square up your action and lap the lugs, but it's not a true "blueprinting". Most folks (myself included) couldn't tell the difference anyway. IMO,, I'd get a custom action before spending the mony to blueprint one unless it were a special rifle.

17FB on a CZ 527 American.
Picture289.jpg

17Rem on 700 Classic.
noname147.jpg

17Rem on 700 w Holland stock. This one is set up to shoot 25gr Nagels with cartriges supplied by me. It's by far the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. Shot very well with my old recipe, but I switched to N140 and the first group was .153. Doubtfull that I could do it again, but I have no doubt the rifle could.
Picture319.jpg

22BR on 700 w HS PSS, set up to shoot 52gr SMK's jammed. Whacks Rock Chucks wayyyy out there.
Well, way out there for me that is.
smile.gif

noname163.jpg

I may not be P-N's biggest fan but I assure you I'm in the top ten.
There are lots of barrels that are as good or maybe even better with (IMO) the exception of their 17cal barrels. They seem to have a handle on those tiny little holes better than the others (with Lilja possibly being the exception), and since I'm a small cal guy I stick with them.
Well that and customer loyalty. They've treated me right over the years, even recountoured a barrel for 35.00, so if I'm gonna spend money they're who I call.

JMO
Charlie

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI figgered you'd be chimin' in soon enough.......

Pretty predictable,, ain't I?
blush.gif

Well, at least I'm consistant. ha

Oh yea,,, I forgot to add that "Penny"'s husband is one of the smiths that fit the barrels.
wink.gif

Last edited:
My 270 carries a Pac-Nor barrel that they fit to the action. It shoots better than I can!
I had a well known smith tell me that for 20 and 22 caliber barrels they are among the very best available. For the larger calibers he doesn't recommend them, says he's seen too many that gave 2 shots touching with a flyer in 3 shot groups with the 25 and up barrels. My 270 doesn't do that so I may be lucky, may be that the guy just had problems with one or two barrels and doesn't trust them anymore.

The only advice she ever gave me was when I was having my Classic's barrel cut and re contoured.
I told her that I couldn't decide whether to go with a factory 24" length or cut to 22" to loose some weight.

She said "how about 23" ".
laugh.gif

Seriously though, contrary to what some would have us believe, if you call early before he gets busy on a machine, Kelly (the owner) will gladly talk to ya about technical stuff. If ya just want to "BS" about guns he's to busy.
When I wanted to get my Classic re contoured he spent a good amount of time talking to me about stress relieving how adverse over heating a barrel is. He explained that after more than two thousand rnds there wasn't any guarantee, but as long as I hadn't got her to hot to many times I "should" be OK.
This is the rifle before sending it back to have the barrel modified.
CZ452022.jpg

The after shot is the second pic above.

They charged me 35.00 to remove the barrel, cut to 22", re contour, bead blast, and reinstall. Re crowning was another 25.00 IIRC, but that's still a he11 of a deal IMO.
Heck, it cost more to ship it both ways than the labor.

BTW, it still shoots as good as before, although that old adage about 50fps per inch of barrel length wasn't even close. I had to really push my loads to get back the 155fps I lost by removing those two inches.

Anywhoooo, close to three thousand rnds now and still doing fine. Those that say the 17Rem fouls badly and is hard on barrels have obviously never had one of P-N's SS/SM tubes.
wink.gif

Charlie

I've had 2 rifles rebarreled by Pacnor. Both shot very good.

I'm not impressed with the way they face the action only and call that truing it. They didn't lap the lugs or anything else to my rifles. But they do shoot good. IMO, If you don't have a good gunsmith then I would reccomend them otherwise just buy the barrels and have your gunsmith install it.

Hey Coyjunkie,

What make of rifles did you have re barreled by P-N?
The reason I ask is because my CZ didn't look like the lugs had been lapped either, although it still shoots between .25 and .5 moa depending on who's pulling the trigger, and which scope she's wearing. I also read a post awhile back that a fellows Ruger77 hadn't been lapped either.
Can't see where it would matter, but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with CRF because my three 700's were all lapped?

I agree with ya that they don't do a complete blueprinting job, but like I stated above, "most folks (especially me) wouldn't realize the difference anyway".
They also don't charge you what someone like GreTan would either.

Just curious.
Charlie

Are we talking rebarreling, or rebarreling and action work, here?

The original poster only mentioned rebarreling. Just askin'.........

Back